PlayStation3 Hands-On: Kikizo

Smak

Member
matt_p said:
Erm... I don't! Have you ever used any Sony proprietary software? It is almost all awful, they have no idea how to create an intuitive user interface. MS on the other hand have years and years of experience at that, not to mention the back-end technology to support it all.

MS have plenty of faults, but give them credit where it's due. If Sony come close it will be through shamelessly copying Live (as implied by that market research survey that was doing the rounds recently). But even if they rip off the interface, I don't think they have the technical know how to get the back-end network working as well as MS do.

Lets wait and see hey, no point making any judgement untill the system is released.
 

Eddy.

Banned
matt_p said:
If Sony come close it will be through shamelessly copying Live (as implied by that market research survey that was doing the rounds recently). But even if they rip off the interface, I don't think they have the technical know how to get the back-end network working as well as MS do.

Kinda like the way Microsoft are shamelessly ripping off Apple by making Windows Vista a carbon copy of Mac OS X, isn't it?
 

matt_p

Active Member
Eddy. said:
Kinda like the way Microsoft are shamelessly ripping off Apple by making Windows Vista a carbon copy of Mac OS X, isn't it?

Yup.

Don't expect me to go off on a pro-MS rant, I'm no fanboy by any means. I'd much rather dedicate my passions to someone/something more deserving than Sony or MS :suicide:

I just find it strange when people assume that everything Sony do will be better than MS. People defend these multi-national faceless companies with the same kind of emotion that I reserve for Arsenal and my family (in that order... :devil:). I'll never understand that... As far as I'm concerned, they make boxes that play games.

/rant over
 

cooldawn

Active Member
CAS FAN said:
machines. The 360 and PS3 also seem very similar architecturally - both using multi core power pc CPU's (if I remember correctly).
Naughty naughty. The XBOX360 uses 3 IBM 3.2Ghz PowerPC chips and the PlayStation3 will use the Cell chip core at 3.2Ghz and 7 SPE's running at 3.2Ghz. Also the XBOX360 has fully customisable 512Mb RAM but the PlayStation3's has 2 256Mb RAM that developers need to nurture.

Completely different architecture.

However I'm expecting PlayStation3 to be the greater here. From the Kikizo report I'd suggest that although the PlayStation3 is easier for developers to get to grips with it's still harder to code for than XBOX360 which would tie in with long term appeal.
 

jedi-jae

Active Member
Boring.

Next...?

Oh, but I fully expect PS3 to offer support for 720p as a basic standard as it is the most common type of HD resolution. My set can only do 1080i at max, so 1080p is of no use anyway!

I also agree with the view that why did this website, that I've never heard of and by the sounds of it not many others here have either, get an exclusive on PS3? Makes no sense, if Sony had news, they would publish it themselves.
 

Eddy.

Banned
matt_p said:
Yup.

Don't expect me to go off on a pro-MS rant, I'm no fanboy by any means. I'd much rather dedicate my passions to someone/something more deserving than Sony or MS :suicide:

I just find it strange when people assume that everything Sony do will be better than MS. People defend these multi-national faceless companies with the same kind of emotion that I reserve for Arsenal and my family (in that order... :devil:). I'll never understand that... As far as I'm concerned, they make boxes that play games.

/rant over

Aha, an Arsenal fan! Good man! :smashin:
 

TheBiGW

Well-known Member
Smak said:
lol, cuz live is soooo great and could never be done on the PS3, do you really think Sony is not going to reproduce or even surpass live.

It's nothing to do with that. It's more the fact that I'm already playing on Live on the 360 and have already invested time in setting it up, creating friends lists etc. Even if the PS3 released something with the same features as the 360 where is the incentive for me to set all this up again?

The PS3 would have to be something spectacularly better than Live to get me to switch. Not saying it can't be done, just that it's unlikely given Sony's past history of completely spooning any software implementation. Until I see it with my own eyes I'll continue with the 360 as my gaming platform of choice.
 

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
cooldawn said:
Naughty naughty. The XBOX360 uses 3 IBM 3.2Ghz PowerPC chips and the PlayStation3 will use the Cell chip core at 3.2Ghz and 7 SPE's running at 3.2Ghz. Also the XBOX360 has fully customisable 512Mb RAM but the PlayStation3's has 2 256Mb RAM that developers need to nurture.

Completely different architecture.

However I'm expecting PlayStation3 to be the greater here. From the Kikizo report I'd suggest that although the PlayStation3 is easier for developers to get to grips with it's still harder to code for than XBOX360 which would tie in with long term appeal.

I didn't say that they were the same ;). Just that they are both built around IBM's Power PC technology meaning that there will be similarities in their architecture. I'm not suggesting that you will be able to put a 360 game into a PS3 and it will run :D. In the past the consoles have all gone for different chip manufacturers and completetly different architectures where as this time there at least seem to be similarities. OK the 360 runs 3 cores and the PS3 7 SPE's but the chips are still based on Power PC technology.

With the PS2 the emotion engine was completely different to the pentiums inside PC's and the XBox which did put it at a disadvantage (development wise). Had the PS2 not already been so dominant with such a strong brand then this could have played a bigger part. I'm sure brand will still play a huge part in the PS3's success but the fact that it is also easy to develop for will also stand it in good stead.
 

NackNack

Banned
Eddy. said:
Fair points guys.

However, we learn absolutely nothing new from this article. In other words, its nothing that any one of us lot could have made up in our spare time.

And apparently Kikizo is an unreliable site that has lied many times before.

I don't take articles like this seriously. I want some proper news from Sony, or at least, a reputable site like IGN. :)
Proper news from Sony? You mean like the fake videos, the lies from them (360 isn't real HD! Only with us can you get it all!) and the complete lack of confidence (oh, err, yeah, that's not the real controller, it's, erm, design in progress!).
Smak said:
lol, cuz live is soooo great and could never be done on the PS3, do you really think Sony is not going to reproduce or even surpass live.
No one said that, but the PS2 has shown how rubbish their implementation has been - I don't think Sony is going to surpass it. As it stands, the 360 is here and now, and Live is working wonderfully. The PS3 is nowhere.
 

Smak

Member
:rotfl:
 

Smak

Member
TheBiGW said:
It's nothing to do with that. It's more the fact that I'm already playing on Live on the 360 and have already invested time in setting it up, creating friends lists etc. Even if the PS3 released something with the same features as the 360 where is the incentive for me to set all this up again?

The PS3 would have to be something spectacularly better than Live to get me to switch. Not saying it can't be done, just that it's unlikely given Sony's past history of completely spooning any software implementation. Until I see it with my own eyes I'll continue with the 360 as my gaming platform of choice.

Switch? You make it sound like moving house....

I have a X360 and think Live is good, buts its not gonna stop me setting up an account etc for the PS3 when it comes out. GT5 online, can't wait :)
 

Daddy k

Distinguished Member
yep gt5 online may be good! however i think forza 2 qill be better! especially with damage :devil:
 

mattym

Banned
blimey must be half term! I really dont get this whole console fanboi thang, is it something similar to driving a big car with a big engine and trouser fillings again?

\o/ Yah PS3 r0x0r, Xpox blows goats etc....
 

Eddy.

Banned
NackNack said:
Proper news from Sony? You mean like the fake videos, the lies from them (360 isn't real HD! Only with us can you get it all!) and the complete lack of confidence (oh, err, yeah, that's not the real controller, it's, erm, design in progress!).

And you have concrete evidence the videos were fake?

And whats wrong with the controller being a work in progress? They want it to be perfect, not a hand raping device like the XBOX controller. :laugh:
 

Kazman

Well-known Member
Eddy. said:
And you have concrete evidence the videos were fake?

And whats wrong with the controller being a work in progress? They want it to be perfect, not a hand raping device like the XBOX controller. :laugh:

Killzone video? LOL! If you think that is real, you REALLY need to get out more :D

I can't wait for the PS3, a nice shiny black one for me methinks. I DON'T think they will surpass Live in its usability, but may very well have content on there that is better, especially with the number of movie companies they own, and their record labels. Whether or not they can get it all working properly is the real question though.

I think the xbox 360 is a superb piece of kit, and I've always maintained that graphically, the xbox 360 and PS3 will be similar with give and take from both.

For instance, the extra oomph of the PS3 can be countered with the fact that the xbox 360 is much easier to code for as developers already understand the interface, and lets not forget that memory bandwidth issue as it is a real one, the reason the PS2 has been able to push out spectaculer graphics in its life time has been greatly due to that embedded ram it has on its GPU, unfortunately, they have swayed away from that on the PS3, which in my opinion is a mistake, it's like having a Ferarri and just driving it on roads with speed bumps with the engine limited to 30mph. I'm sure the developers will be able to work around the bandwidth issue, but I think it was an oversight.

The xbox 360 on the other hand has 10MB of embedded ram on its GPU, which may not sound a lot, but will help it achieve more throughput, especially when we bring AA and AF ito the equation. People forget this whenever they read the 1.8Teraflop figure on the PS3 spec sheet :D

The PS3 WILL rock! The xbox 360 is already rocking and will rock harder with the March line up and beyond :). If you are a fan of gaming, you should do the honourable thing, buy all the consoles (and a PC too :D ) that way, you get to enjoy all the games, all the time.

PS3 has some killer franchises, and just thinking about God Of War on PS3 just makes me all tingly inside :D This will be the biggest challenge for MS, to get a software lineup that will succeed not only in the west, but also in the east. This generation of gaming is going to be fabulous, and that can only be good for all of us :)
 

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Eddy. said:
And you have concrete evidence the videos were fake?

And whats wrong with the controller being a work in progress? They want it to be perfect, not a hand raping device like the XBOX controller. :laugh:

Sony did say that the Killzone 2 video was their view of what may be possible using the PS3. It was put out for wow factor and to get people talking about a machine that was some way off.

The 360 controller is widely regarded as the best console controller yet so your criticism of it seems strange?? :confused: If the PS3 controller is half as good as the 360's then I will be very happy indeed.:)
 

matt_p

Active Member
Kazman said:
The PS3 WILL rock! The xbox 360 is already rocking and will rock harder with the March line up and beyond :).

:rolleyes: You just don't get it, do you? It is impossible for both systems to rock. You have to pick one that will be amazing, and thereafter only refer to the other as a steaming turd.

You must accept this situation and make your choice. NOW!

:D
 

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
matt_p said:
:rolleyes: You just don't get it, do you? It is impossible for both systems to rock. You have to pick one that will be amazing, and thereafter only refer to the other as a steaming turd.

You must accept this situation and make your choice. NOW!

:D
Nice one - does seem like that some times :rolleyes:.

:eek: :D I'm stuffed then as I think all 3 systems will "Rock". Damn it to hell, there I was thinking that I could enjoy all that gaming had to offer but now i'm gonna have to limit myself to one machine.
 

DanDT

Active Member
CAS FAN said:
Nice one - does seem like that some times :rolleyes:.

:eek: :D I'm stuffed then as I think all 3 systems will "Rock". Damn it to hell, there I was thinking that I could enjoy all that gaming had to offer but now i'm gonna have to limit myself to one machine.

People who like everything have no personality.

Supporting all consoles is like being Italy in WW2.



:D
 

Eddy.

Banned
CAS FAN said:
Sony did say that the Killzone 2 video was their view of what may be possible using the PS3. It was put out for wow factor and to get people talking about a machine that was some way off.

The 360 controller is widely regarded as the best console controller yet so your criticism of it seems strange?? :confused: If the PS3 controller is half as good as the 360's then I will be very happy indeed.:)

Sorry, but the 360 controller is horrible. Its chunky and uncomfortable, and the D-pad looks like its been stolen from one of those 99p bargain controllers you find in the discount bins in Game. Admittedly, its a huge improvement on the original XBOX controller. *vomits*

MY personal fave controller is the Gamecube controller.

The PS3 controller is kinda worrying looking. I'd be more than happy if they'd just stick with the Dual Shock 2. If its not broke, don't fix it, I say.
 

WelshBluebird

Well-known Member
Eddy. said:
The PS3 controller is kinda worrying looking. I'd be more than happy if they'd just stick with the Dual Shock 2. If its not broke, don't fix it, I say.

It may look kinda dodgy, but if you've seen the animation going around, it seems like its gonna be very comfortable to use.
 

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Sorry, but the 360 controller is horrible. Its chunky and uncomfortable, and the D-pad looks like its been stolen from one of those 99p bargain controllers you find in the discount bins in Game. Admittedly, its a huge improvement on the original XBOX controller. *vomits*
I suppose it's subjective but, IMHO, the 360 controller is excellent - the best thing about the console.
 

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PrimaLuna debuts Evo 300 Hybrid integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern announces AK ZERO1 in ear monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MI1250 power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 13th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Vestel launches Red Bull TV app on European smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom