Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Playstation2 WONT pass video through my AV Amp?!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bananas, Aug 17, 2001.

1. bananas

bananas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive just set up my PS2, and naturally wanted to pass the audio and video through my Av amp (a Denon AV10SE).

The only problem is..it wont. I can get audio through, but no matter what type of video connection I use, it just wont come through on the TV.

The AV10SE has no problems passing ANY other video source through, so I know its working ok, and I know the AV cables for my PS2 (ive got THREE now) are working, because if I plug them directly into the TV, it works perfectly. Ive got a composite, Svhs, and Component PS2 leads..they all wont pass through.

Hmm.

Even the head Technical guy at Sony Tech Support couldnt help me..all he could suggest was that it was the Denons fault, citing some 'compatiblilty' issue, which, quite frankly, sounds like a load of rubbish to me.

Id LOVE some input on this, because in 10 years of playing with AV equipment, ive never seen anything like this.

Hope you all can help!

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,823
    Presumably you have the Denon connected to your TV via one of the monitor out outputs? If your passing, say an SVHS signal from the PS2, into SVideo in it should come out to the tv.

Check your monitor out cable isnt faulty.

What about the actual Denon menus have you got the right video in/out source selected?

3. bananas

bananas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes..ive tried everything.<br />The Denon is working perfectly, as my DVD player is hooked up through it, and that works fine. Just to make 100% sure, I plugged the PS2 Svhs into the DVD input on the back of the Denon, and nothing.<br />So yes, all the cables from the Denon to the TV are working perfectly, and there isnt any set-up menus that will help me here unfortunately.

4. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,823
    Got me stumped then!

Cant think why it wont work!

Hopefully another member will enlighten us!!

cheers

5. wah

wah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if this helps, but I have my PS2 connected via scart to the TV and the audio via a optical cable to my receiver. Only problem is you have to turn the volume of the TV down or you can get a scart cable without the audio or use the S-video connection.

Your problem does sound really weird.

6. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,823
    Have you tried calling Denon?

Heres the number 01753 888447, ask for Keith Prady.

It wouldnt be something to do with passing a Pal or NTSC signal would it? maybe it can only pass one or the other, just a thought.

cheers

7. bananas

bananas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that number..I might just give him a call (probably be monday now though, I would hate to ditrub him just as he was escaping for the weekend!)

Its an interesting thought regarding the Pal/NTSC, but the PS2 is Pal, and so is the DVD player..hmm...this is very annoying!

8. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,070
    have you checked the settings in the PS2 menu..If you have the output setting to RGB on the PS2 it wont output a signal using component cables (I spent ages finding this out). Another reason could be using composite into the amp yet connecting the amp to TV using SVHS (this wont work either as you need to use the same signal in and out of the amp).<br />Hope this may help...

9. bananas

bananas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes..Ive tried all of that..I can connect the PS2 to the TV directly using the SVHS lead (which requires no setting up in the PS2 menu) and that works, but again, it wont pass through the Denon.<br />I have set it up to use Component instead of RGB, and again, that works through the TV, but wont work on the Denons component in/out.

I disagree about having different inputs into the Denon..ive had composite and Svhs working in parrallel before without a problem.

Hmm..this is VERY frustrating!

10. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    A long time ago I had this problem with a sky analogue or digi box (can't remember), that wouldn't go through the Denon amp the customer had. Audio was ok, no video.<br />'Everything!' else was ok. <br />The fault was with the amp that didn't like the video input and was being overloaded. The answer was to fix the amp or russle up some kind of buffer circuit to reduce the input voltage from the sky unit to the amp. Don't know the outcome as it went off to Denon, we heard no more.<br />Poss. a similair thing here. Maybe?

11. simoncope

simoncope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could be a DC offset problem, like the man says above - quite common with continental satellite receivers and ONDigital receivers. Some AV receivers have compensating diode arrays across the video connectors of the Sat input - try hooking the PS2 up to 'Sat' to see if it makes any difference.

You could measure the voltage across the composite video signal (ie signal to ground). I think the limit is supposed to be somewhere around 1.2V (my memories a little hazy) - if it is significantly more than this, there's your problem.

It is possible to construct a 'fix' using diodes......but I can't remember how (useful or what eh!?)

12. bananas

bananas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Blimey..thats a coupld of great techie repies!<br />Would this problem affect ALL the inputs? Ive tried SVHS, composite AND component in to the Denon, and it wont pass any of them.

13. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I would guesstimate yes! <br />All inputs would be routed internally via a single source switching IC that prob doesn't like the high input voltage, 1.2 volts+ as simon said. It's poss your PS2 outputs at 2v or more. Don't know.

14. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,070
    I use a PS2 through my AVC A1SE no probs..I'm still trawling the net to find a solution...<br />What PS2 is it (out of interest) Jap, US, PAL

15. bananas

bananas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ah ha..so you can use youre through with no problems? Thats interesting.<br />Its an offical Pal one..it was actually direct through a friend I have that works at Konami, who gets them direct from Sony.<br />Thanks for all the help guys..youre all great! *emotional sob*

16. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Mine is fine through a Yamaha, somewhere I have an article on how to attenuate CD audio input signals using a couple of resistors, and I'm guessing if I can find this, it would work the same for video signals.

It may be worth creating a short composite lead thats attenuated and seeing if it helps.

I'll let you know if I find it and if it's any help.

Slingshot

P.S. Have you tried simple composite scart looped through a VCR or Digibox, again I'm just guessing but this may attenuate the signal aswell.