Playstation VR2

Will probably end up going for it - and like that it's feeling more of a premium than Oculus Quest 2, which cut a few too many comfort elements last time for my liking. The lens slider on this would be a significant improvement for sure.

Imagine they could bolt this on for the entirety of GT7. Instant killer app that would sell by the bucketload.

I know nothing of the technicalities mind you so assume it’s impossible but will be happy enough if we can get a few good cut down experiences.

I hope it comes in at £299 - £349 range with some demos :D
Summer release.
Never going to be a summer release Sony doesn't do that, but i could see the price maybe at £350

Imagine they could bolt this on for the entirety of GT7. Instant killer app that would sell by the bucketload.

I know nothing of the technicalities mind you so assume it’s impossible but will be happy enough if we can get a few good cut down experiences.
It's not impossible, they would have to make some changes like drop the resolution down with no ray tracing, but the whole game should be doable, it's whether the Devs/ Sony choose to do so.

It's not impossible, they would have to make some changes like drop the resolution down with no ray tracing, but the whole game should be doable, it's whether the Devs/ Sony choose to do so.
I personally think GT7 will already have been built with PS VR2 in-mind, they are just keeping it hush for now and will most likely release the unlock patch when PS VR2 is out.
The whole game will be VR, you wait and see. :)
I also think Sony will have something other than games for VR2, perhaps some metaverse rubbish :D lol

I personally think GT7 will already have been built with PS VR2 in-mind, they are just keeping it hush for now and will most likely release the unlock patch when PS VR2 is out.
The whole game will be VR, you wait and see. :)
I also think Sony will have something other than games for VR2, perhaps some metaverse rubbish :D lol

Yeah I’m anticipating GT7 to be a full fledged VR title this time around after the sort of tech demo we had with GT Sport on the original PSVR.

I think it will be activated as a day one title on launch for PSVR2 as it will be a MAJOR seller for the platform, I would buy it without hesitation for GT7 alone if it’s implemented fully!

Yeah I’m anticipating GT7 to be a full fledged VR title this time around after the sort of tech demo we had with GT Sport on the original PSVR.

I think it will be activated as a day one title on launch for PSVR2 as it will be a MAJOR seller for the platform, I would buy it without hesitation for GT7 alone if it’s implemented fully!
I think this is highly likely :)

Will the PSVR2 virtual screen implementation be good enough to allow playback of regular games in effect doing away with the need for a TV or is that wishful thinking?

Will the PSVR2 virtual screen implementation be good enough to allow playback of regular games in effect doing away with the need for a TV or is that wishful thinking?

I use the psvr for playing games in cinematic mode, currently playing Horizon Forbidden West on it. I enjoy the big screen vibrant and clean OLED experience despite the sacrifice of resolution. So I have no doubts PSVR2 would make an even greater alternative to a standard size living room TV.

With a PSVR2 we get, imo the very best VR display tech on the market for movie watching, ie., an OLED HDR display and continuing with its unique RGB matrix (effectively 3 sub pixels per pixel) reducing screen door effect (SDE) which no other OLED VR headset has. It will be the cleanest. My only concern is that psvr also had the best lens for the cleanest experience but they are now downgrading it to Fresnel lenses which having experienced on my Rift and Quest 2 headsets, is horrible due to god rays on high contrasting images, a problem for watching some movies like space themed, like Star wars or Space Odyssey. However, there there is a Sony patent on its Fresnel lens suggesting that they have found a way to reducing that horrible effect...fingers crossed but I suspect it won't be as good as the proper camera style lens on the original PSVR.

But I think overall it will still be the best personal second big screen entertainment display and I for one can't wait.

I didn't mention about resolution btw because I am not fussed about that but this will be much higher than PSVR on par with the peers but because it will also have very high subpixels too with vibrant OLED and HDR, it will blow away its vr competitors methinks. Just hope the Fresnel lens doesnt poison it!

I see them hopefully being able to run the PS4 version on the PS5 via VR at a high frame rate. To be honest that would be great if possible.

I am hopeful and expectant that GT7 will have a Significant VR implementation.

Obviously GT Sport on PS4 had very limited VR offering, but it had something, as did Driveclub with more vehicles. PC racing games have had VR with full grid racing for years so no reason at all with the grunt the PS5 has under the hood why it couldn't have full face experiences in VR on GT7. Obviously it's not top PC spec or even close, but it has enough to make it a great experience and take PSVR to another level altogether compared to the original.

In my opinion a good driving game in VR offers an almost unrivalled immersive experience, especially if using a wheel.....they are investing loads in PSVR2 and they'll need a killer app and what bigger game in their catalogue than GT7 to offer that wow factor. I'm sure it's been designed with VR in mind and nailed on, but they won't announce anything now because being Sony they'll want to charge for it seperately to the main game come the time.

I'm not touching this unless there are well reviewed AAA games released.

I've played GT Sport with PSVR and it's a great experience, with some obvious drawbacks (partly down to the game and partly the VR tech), but the potential for GT7 and the new headset is phenomenal. I don't mind if there is still a separate VR section, as long as you can race against a number of other cars on any track and in any car, I'll be happy.

There are 4 separate PSVR2 threads, people, second link has an update news on new PSVR2 features posted yesterday by Darth_terra.

I propose this 6 page thread be the main one as it has the most pages? Mod, is it feasible to merge these?

Last edited:
Regards to the features updates, I highly rate the see through mode of Quest 2 so I am glad PSVR2 is implementing it. Looks like its in black and white (as with Quest 2) which is a shame as I can think of some cool applications for A/R in colour. But it's understandable to use monochromatic cameras as they have a significantly higher subpixel resolution capture than colour cams. I do planetary astrophotgraphy with monochrome and colour video cameras and the mono does indeed output significant more detail than the colour cam.

But I also love that Sony are flaunting the cinema mode...it's actually my most exciting and anticipated feature which is probably most people's least, lol. I love watching my blu rays on PSVR and still do! Now in full HD, HDR, on OLED with RGB matrix and on a virtual 100ft screen...and even a 24hz mode for classic film - as well as 60/120 Hz playback...awesome. I only have an 8 year old HD TV so the PSVR2 will effectively be my personal upgrade TV! However, I hate that I won't be able to play my 3D blu rays on it (I doubt Sony will enable a 3D playback...though I hope I am wrong) and it's the reason I never upgraded my precious 3DTV to a 4k HDR! My only concern is that Sony is downgrading the "camera quality" lens on the PSVR to godawful Fresnel which is dreadful on Quest 2 and Oculus Rift. But Sony is innovative and I hope they have found a way to eliminate the horrid God Rays side effects of current Fresnel lenses.

Have you guys heard that Quest 2 will be INCREASING in price by $100 !?! That's giving me concern on Sony announcing a higher price than expected if a huge company like Meta finds it neccessary to rise a 2 year old headset by that amount :(

Last edited:
Are we still likely to see a release this year?

Are we still likely to see a release this year?

The general concencus from most journalists are guessing first quarter 2023. They seem it unlikely to be released this year :(

But the Playstation Blog promised the next blog update will give a release date (in the last sentence)!

(As posted by Darth_Terra in one of the other PSVR2 threads)

Regards to the features updates, I highly rate the see through mode of Quest 2 so I am glad PSVR2 is implementing it. Looks like its in black and white (as with Quest 2) which is a shame as I can think of some cool applications for A/R in colour. But it's understandable to use monochromatic cameras as they have a significantly higher subpixel resolution capture than colour cams. I do planetary astrophotgraphy with monochrome and colour video cameras and the mono does indeed output significant more detail than the colour cam.

But I also love that Sony are flaunting the cinema mode...it's actually my most exciting and anticipated feature which is probably most people's least, lol. I love watching my blu rays on PSVR and still do! Now in full HD, HDR, on OLED with RGB matrix and on a virtual 100ft screen...and even a 24hz mode for classic film - as well as 60/120 Hz playback...awesome. I only have an 8 year old HD TV so the PSVR2 will effectively be my personal upgrade TV! However, I hate that I won't be able to play my 3D blu rays on it (I doubt Sony will enable a 3D playback...though I hope I am wrong) and it's the reason I never upgraded my precious 3DTV to a 4k HDR! My only concern is that Sony is downgrading the "camera quality" lens on the PSVR to godawful Fresnel which is dreadful on Quest 2 and Oculus Rift. But Sony is innovative and I hope they have found a way to eliminate the horrid God Rays side effects of current Fresnel lenses.

Have you guys heard that Quest 2 will be INCREASING in price by $100 !?! That's giving me concern on Sony announcing a higher price than expected if a huge company like Meta finds it neccessary to rise a 2 year old headset by that amount :(
Basically what the previous incarceration ended up doing for me was cinema. Anyway, not really interested unless it's completely wireless and lot less clunky.

Seems a leak for the current PS5 firmware Beta shows PSVR2 sense controllers listed under controller communication method, of course this in no way suggests that PSVR2 will launch this year but I would imagine it's not far off if its listed in a firmware release due this year.

Digital Foundry were guesstimating launch before Q1 next year. They seemed pretty happy with specs, hoping for PC compatibility, then it's price where they're very much against the controllers not being bundled in (as per a rumour).

Main issue for me is the games. I loved some PSVR stuff, really immersive and excellent experiences, but just too few and far between.

If there is any decent racing game that allows VR I'll be in day one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom