1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PlayStation row erupts in Australia

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by laurel, Feb 8, 2002.

1. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sony are full of crap.

If they wanted to stop piracy, they should stop dividing their software into zones. No one would need to chip their playstation to make it play imported games, and no one would be opposed to making mods illegal, because they would only be used for pirated games.

It's all their own doing, and their true motivation is easily visible through their transparent opposition to mod chips. They just want to control the software market place, so they can charge what they want, where they want, when they want.

3. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +743
    Well said Pointon.

The same applies to chopping the world up into Regions for DVD. The big corporations seem to think they should be allowed to decide where and when people should be allowed to buy products and then what parts of the world people should be allowed to use those products.

RDB :mad:

4. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    I wonder how much money Sony are wasting trying to get the judgement through? Money that might be better spent in reducing the price of their software.

Do companies not see that piracy is rampant in the world due to the prices people have to pay? I know other formats get pirated (music/movies), but more people can see the reason behind paying £15-£20 for a well made DVD of a movie they know they'll watch again and again or a CD of they're favourite artist, but gaming seems to be in another world. How many people are going to spend around £40 on a game they don't know?

If they would cut their prices then more people might get more games. Development cost are meant to be the driving force behind the pricing of games, but just how many games were created around the Quake engine after it was created?

The thing that gets me about Sony is that their PS1 wouldn't have been the seller it was if it hadn't been for the fact of piracy. They sold millions of consoles to people who knew they couldn't afford to buy all the latest games, but they could get copies of those games and play them on their chipped console.

I don't know anyone who doesn't have a chipped PS1 (that has or had one) and I only know one person who hasn't had his PS2 chipped yet, but he's planning on getting it done.

5. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thankfully the Australian government have some kind of brain power, unlike our own.

Why can't someone just tell Sony to fudge off? They are so far up their own goddamn arses. My GBA lets me play games and use accesories from anywhere. so I do. I am happy, and piracy is not a problem in the big markets.

6. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As has been already Sony are not the only offenders(though I do not carry a torch for Sony). I can buy region 1 DVD's on the net well before they are available in the shops here but I need to hack my p.c., ps2 or dvd player to play them. Globalisation should mean just that no artificial barriers to benefit one set of consumers or one country. Its time these big corporations were brought to task. Fair play to the Aussie Govt. BTW and correct me if I'm wrong won't the Xbox and Gamecube be the same as far as games are concerned, US games will not play on European Xbox, Gamecube consoles and vica versa.