Playstation Now

King Tones

Distinguished Member
So it's not really as good as Stadia then? With Stadia, you buy the games and they're registered to your account, but with PS Now, you're renting the service, not digitally owning the games to an account?

It's a subscription service same as Netflix or Spotify.

You don't really own the games via Stadia either, you just pay for the license to access it. You can't download and take it with you like a Physical Product.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Yes, it’s a rental service but you can’t say it’s not as good as Stadia, just different.

For £50 a year you get the entire library to play. You’re not buying and individual game.

SJRED_UK

Standard Member
Could somebody check on the ps4 if you are able to change the auto renewal settings for their subscriptions. I think there may be something wrong. Just trying to check if it isn't just me.
Thanks.

SJRED_UK

Standard Member
Can someone please check their subscriptions on their console and see if there is the option to change auto renewal settings... I am trying to see if its a problem for anyone else and not just me.
Thanks.

Miss Mandy

You don't need to keep spamming the thread about this, it just gets annoying. I answered you on the previous page anyway, if you're not going to read it why did I bother?!

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Can someone please check their subscriptions on their console and see if there is the option to change auto renewal settings... I am trying to see if its a problem for anyone else and not just me.
Thanks.

Have you actually got payment details attached to your account ?

Why not contact Support, they are probably going to be able to help more than these fools ;)

SJRED_UK

Standard Member
Miss Mandy, I did read your post about the website thank you. I wanted to see if others were having a similar problem with what it was saying about auto renewal settings on the console itself. I posted 2 similar messages by mistake thinking the first one hadn't posted. So I apologise if it looked like I was being rude. And I have tried to get in touch with support but there doesn't seem to be a phone number, only contact via email. They are obviously busy and understaffed at the moment hence why they haven't replied in over 24 hours which is why I am here in the meantime. My free trial ends Monday so I am trying to get this sorted before then so I don't get rinsed.

zt1903

Distinguished Member
If there’s no credit or payment method on your account they won’t be able to take anything, so do that as a backup.

If I go into Settings > Account Management > Account Information > PlayStation Subscriptions I can see PS Plus and PS Now without any difficulty. I don’t have auto renew enabled so I can’t turn it off.

If you click on PS Now what does it say for Next Renewal Date?

SJRED_UK

Standard Member
If there’s no credit or payment method on your account they won’t be able to take anything, so do that as a backup.

If I go into Settings > Account Management > Account Information > PlayStation Subscriptions I can see PS Plus and PS Now without any difficulty. I don’t have auto renew enabled so I can’t turn it off.

If you click on PS Now what does it say for Next Renewal Date?
I Have a ps plus subscription which goes out every month via PayPal I think. That's how I have purchased games before too. I don't think they have my credit or debit card details. I am assuming that it will use the same payment method for ps now after my free sub expires. I see exactly the same as you. I can see my subs there on manage subs but not on the website. But when you click on either ps now or ps plus subscription it doesn't give me the option to cancel auto renew or even turn on auto renew. It also doesn't say renewal date on either but ps plus still gets paid automatically every month.
Thanks.

zt1903

Distinguished Member
I Have a ps plus subscription which goes out every month via PayPal I think. That's how I have purchased games before too. I don't think they have my credit or debit card details. I am assuming that it will use the same payment method for ps now after my free sub expires. I see exactly the same as you. I can see my subs there on manage subs but not on the website. But when you click on either ps now or ps plus subscription it doesn't give me the option to cancel auto renew or even turn on auto renew. It also doesn't say renewal date on either but ps plus still gets paid automatically every month.
Thanks.

Mine has an option to "Extend" rather than turn on Auto Renew

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
You do know its much cheaper to buy a year than paying monthly right?

If you really wanted to stop any payments going out as a pure back up you could always remove your paypal.

I dont have any payment details on any of my gaming accounts as i just buy credit and pay that way.

Tolq

Distinguished Member
Well, I caved in and added another year to my PS Now subscription - now expires in 2022. With the current 30% off and buying PSN credit through ShopTo, it worked out at £29.85, which was just too good a deal to pass up.

Here's hoping the next year and a half of games won't be complete trash! :laugh:

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Well, I caved in and added another year to my PS Now subscription - now expires in 2022. With the current 30% off and buying PSN credit through ShopTo, it worked out at £29.85, which was just too good a deal to pass up.

Here's hoping the next year and a half of games won't be complete trash! :laugh:

So far I'd say it's worth the £35 or so I paid. I'm mainly going to download a few games but I tried F1 2019 which I almost bought a month or so ago and realised it was pretty rubbish so that's saved me money and I tried Sniper 4 which again was pretty rubbish so it's a good way to try some games you might have been tempted to buy in a sale.

Saw Metro Exodus was on there so I've now started 2033 and will play Last Light as both have been sitting unplayed on my PS4 for years and can then play that.

Have streamed a few old games but apart from brief nostalgia stopped that pretty quickly. It's good but needs way more PS4 games to download and needs VR games.

Tolq

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I've already completed Vampyr and I started Control not long ago. They also added The Evil Within 2 recently, which I'm keen on, so between those three that's easily worth a year's subscription for me. If I hadn't already completed Spiderman that would be an obvious choice as well. Looking through the catalogue, I can easily find a handful of other games that would be interesting to me, the wife or the kids.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I've already completed Vampyr and I started Control not long ago. They also added The Evil Within 2 recently, which I'm keen on, so between those three that's easily worth a year's subscription for me. If I hadn't already completed Spiderman that would be an obvious choice as well. Looking through the catalogue, I can easily find a handful of other games that would be interesting to me, the wife or the kids.

The Evil Within games I was looking at as have always been tempted with the in sales.
What is Vampyr like? I checked out some gameplay and it looked decent but it got very average reviews so wasn't sure if I wanted to put any time into it.

Spiderman, Uncharted etc... I already had. There is an ok choice with some big hitters but I just think it needs less indie games and some more AAA titles...there have been 7 years of them :)

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
The Evil Within games I was looking at as have always been tempted with the in sales.
What is Vampyr like? I checked out some gameplay and it looked decent but it got very average reviews so wasn't sure if I wanted to put any time into it.

Spiderman, Uncharted etc... I already had. There is an ok choice with some big hitters but I just think it needs less indie games and some more AAA titles...there have been 7 years of them :)
Thats the beuty of these subscription services if you want to know what Vampyrs like just download it and play it you havent even got to buy it to give it go

the problem is as theres so many games i end up giving each game less time before i make my mind up about it

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Thats the beuty of these subscription services if you want to know what Vampyrs like just download it and play it you havent even got to buy it to give it go

the problem is as theres so many games i end up giving each game less time before i make my mind up about it

Although I don;t want to waste time downloading and then spending a few hours playing to find out it's rubbish :)
I know in some cases I will but want to limit the amount of wasted time...guess I could stream to start with...which I presume you can do with all games anyway?

Tolq

Distinguished Member

Vampyr is pretty good - I'd say it is a 7/10 or so. Awesome setting and wonderful music/sound design held back mainly by the combat, which can be kinda janky. IMO the dialogue options and NPCs aren't as interesting as in previous DontNod games (Life is Strange), and the choices you can make are pretty binary. It is a game I kept wanting to like more than I did, but I completed it, so I was clearly invested enough to keep going back to it. It feels like the game could have used some more polish/budget and/or a better team developing the game mechanics, but overall, not bad at all.

I would recommend that you try it for a few hours - once you get into chapter 2, you pretty much know what it is going to be about, and if you're not interested by then, you probably won't be later on either.

RE4 is one of my all time favourites, so I kinda figured I would like Evil Within as well (same game director). I played that one on PC though, because it ran like a potato on PS4 (poor port). The second one is supposed to be better, but I never bought it because I don't really want to give any money directly to Bethesda...

Scyther

It's a subscription service same as Netflix or Spotify.

You don't really own the games via Stadia either, you just pay for the license to access it. You can't download and take it with you like a Physical Product.
You do own your PlayStation digital games, though; they're tied to your account; you can call it "digital ownership", but it's still yours. You can take your games to any PlayStation console you can log in to. With a physical disc, once it becomes corrupt, lost or dies somehow, you don't "own" it anymore; it's not tied to an account, and you can't reclaim it at no extra cost.

To me, it's kind of like arguing about only keeping physical money on hand, lying around with you, vs having a bank account. I feel safer having my money stored in a bank account, than doing the former.

With physical media soon to be dead in the next 7 years or so; with PS5 sticking to x86 architecture, ensuring backwards compability with every new system for the foreseeable future; with currently over 60% of PlayStation software sales now coming from digital sales and with the PS5 digital version looking like the cheaper, sleeker option vs the fat physical PS5 version - literally looking like Sony slapped a disc drive on it as an afterthought - it's pretty obvious that digital is the future of PlayStation.

Anyway, hopefully Sony steps it up and makes PS Now more like Stadia and xCloud, and lets people purchase and play their digital PlayStation library through streaming, and not just limit it to a few select games. Maybe even make a free 1080p service. It would be attractive for those who don't want to buy the expensive PS5, don't care about 4K, etc, but do want to buy PlayStation games digitally.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
You do own your PlayStation digital games, though; they're tied to your account; you can call it "digital ownership", but it's still yours. You can take your games to any PlayStation console you can log in to. With a physical disc, once it becomes corrupt, lost or dies somehow, you don't "own" it anymore; it's not tied to an account, and you can't reclaim it at no extra cost.

To me, it's kind of like arguing about only keeping physical money on hand, lying around with you, vs having a bank account. I feel safer having my money stored in a bank account, than doing the former.
Until they're removed from the store for whatever reason. If you lose your downloaded copy then you're not getting it back again. I'd say ANY digital purchase is a long term rental and hope for the best.

And it's nothing like money, as whoever "stores your money in digital format" can't just remove it.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Until they're removed from the store for whatever reason. If you lose your downloaded copy then you're not getting it back again. I'd say ANY digital purchase is a long term rental and hope for the best.

And it's nothing like money, as whoever "stores your money in digital format" can't just remove it.

So if you download a PS4 game from PS Now and they remove it off the service a few months later does your download still work or not?

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Nope, its a Sub Service and games come in and out of it.

Thanks, that's good, so like PS Plus free games then. I guess I need to keep an eye out for any games that might be leaving and then download them if I want to play them :)

Lepego

Anyway, hopefully Sony steps it up and makes PS Now more like Stadia and xCloud, and lets people purchase and play their digital PlayStation library through streaming, and not just limit it to a few select games. Maybe even make a free 1080p service. It would be attractive for those who don't want to buy the expensive PS5, don't care about 4K, etc, but do want to buy PlayStation games digitally.
This doesn't make any sense. You can buy any Playstation game digitally right now without having PS Now, why would Sony need to change PS Now's model into what you propose? Let alone that "a digital library" should be equated with "streaming", PS Now is coming back from the streaming only and that's a positive. Stadia is hot trash where you overpay for what you eventually get, hopefully Sony stays as far away as possible from that model. Hard to believe there are customers actively rooting for systems and models that take away consumer rights and benefits, and limit the current options that have made gaming so cheap in the past years.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li