Playstation mounted behind C9 – heat an issue?

mstade

Hi!

I've currently got an LG B6 installed on my wall, but a C9 about to be delivered. As I will obviously need to remove the B6 from the wall, I'm thinking I might take the opportunity to also then mount my PS4 Pro to the wall, behind the C9 screen where there's all that room left over since the bulge on the back only covers to bottom.

When playing 4k HDR games the Playstation runs very hot, and the fan really starts kicking into gear. While I haven't measured the temperature of the machine or the surrounding air, I can say it's definitely quite hot to the touch. The clearance between the playstation and the back of the panel would be somewhere between 1-2 cm at most. Getting the PS4 out of the way like this would really tidy up the space, but I'm worried that putting such a significant heat source behind the panel might be an issue? I've had a hard time finding any information on this, any tips would be very welcome!

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
well assuming you mount flat to the wall, you can set it up to vent up and out of the way - so it shouldn't have any issues heating the panel. You could test by putting your hand 1-2cm away and comparing the temperature vs touching the actual PS4 - probably a lot cooler?

I'd probably be more concerned about the TV creating warm air which the PS4 would then be using for intake, so wouldn't cool as effeciently. Don't know how much heat the C9 gives off but again worth checking - may be restricted to one side which would let you mount the PS4 to the 'cooler' side?

mstade

Excellent tips Richard – much obliged! Good point about the C9 generating heat, I was so hung up on not damaging the panel I didn't even consider the intake in the PS4. Will report back once I have some details, I figure I might not be the only one thinking along these lines so maybe my findings can help the next guy googling for this. 🙃

5to1

Excellent tips Richard – much obliged! Good point about the C9 generating heat, I was so hung up on not damaging the panel I didn't even consider the intake in the PS4. Will report back once I have some details, I figure I might not be the only one thinking along these lines so maybe my findings can help the next guy googling for this. 🙃

The C9 has vents firing up, in fact I think all OLED's with the electronics housed behind the bottom half of the screen have the vents in that position. It's probably the only place you can put them.

I suspect as Richard says you may well cook your PS putting it there. Especially if we ever get another hot summer. Moreover, they may well use the back of the top half of the screen as a giant heat sink, to pull heat away from the OLED cells. Feeling the back of mine, it gets warm. So you may well compromise that.

Another consideration is access. If you have a fixed mount, should you need to access the PS you risk damaging the panel. I have a Cat 6 extender behind mine and its a PITA if it plays up and I need to fiddle with it.

If you have time to spare you could give it a shot and keep an eye on temps. Or cut into the wall a bit and run some vent channels behind the TV, so the PS can suck up air through those instead. Some simple flat plastic tubing would do the job. The TV would cover it, so no need to plaster over the top.

mstade

Got the C9 delivered just yesterday, and haven't even had time to unpack it yet. Gonna take some time before I swap the B6 for the C9 to see if I can't get actual temp readings etc., to see if this is even a meaningful idea or if I should just run cables through the wall into an adjoining room, where I can have the PS4 get as hot and noisy as it likes without bothering anyone. Thanks a lot for your suggestions, both of you – top notch quality posts!

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom