1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation games with the Gun ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Anim, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The wife just plugged in the playstation and tried a game with a gun, it didn't work. No cross hair came up on the PJ screen, it must use reflection from a normal TV to get the cross hair position or something.

Anim

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    gun games work by displaying a frame of white when you press the trigger. This white light is picked up by the gun's sensor as it draws the screen (top to bottom, right to left). From the timing, the console can work out exactly where you were pointing the gun.

the newer Playstation versions also tap into the video signal to get more accuracy.

So I doubt this would work on any LCD display, even direct views. It also has problems with 100Hz CRTs.

Just realised as I typed that it probably wouldn't work with plasma either, which could be a problem as thats a route I'm looking at. I might have to keep a regular TV around somewhere for my House of the Dead moments.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Anim

Have a look at this site -

http://www.howstuffworks.com

Its great for getting a quick overview of most technology.

Look in the 'Toys & Games' section for the light gun description - if my shootings anything to go on I should just be seeing a snow scene in most of these games.

Regards

Joe

PS Never tried a light gun with a PJ or a plasma and I wonder what the arcade boys are doing that's different to get the 'shoot em up' rear projection games working.

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Not sure about arcade systems. If they are CRT based, they might work with the brightness way up. But some of the newer ones don't even flash the screen, so they must have some new technology.

Is Plasma progressive like LCD, or does it draw scanlines like a regular CRT?

5. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    The crt rear-projectors used in the arcades will be fine as the game can be modified (it wouldn't need to be if the projector was normal tv standard [ie not 100Hz or line-doubled]) to detect the white picture and read the position.

The problem with all the devices mentioned above is that the home console games are designed to only accept 50/60Hz unmodified pictures because this is the mass audience.

Any fixed panel device (including plasmas) will scale the image to it's native resolution and therefore the gun will incorrectly read the line information.

It's a shame because gun games would be great with a big screen. Having to move your whole body around for the different targets would add to the immersive nature.

On a brighter note - if you have a standard 50/60Hz crt rear-projection set you should be ok. (In theory - thinking about it - a crt front projector without any image processing on should work too. A straight s or composite signal into the back of my BG808 SHOULD work - ooh! - what gun games are there for PS2?:D)

Regards
    Alex

6. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Sorry, due to the way the lightgun works (it detects the actual electron beam as it draws the screen and thus works out where you are pointing the gun using timing calculations) there is absolutely no way that they will work with LCD projectors (or DLPs, or plasma screens for that matter).

It's a real shame - shooting games would be amazing with a projector and a large screen. Maybe someone will come up with an alternative technology in the future that isn't so tightly coupled to a CRT tube telly.

Gav

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Of no help on this one, other than front or rear works with CRT provided no frame buffer like a scaller is introduced.

I once had to attend to a Barco projector that had apparently 'just stopped working' at a police training college in Wales. When I got there it wasn't in a boardroom as I first thought but in a hostage simulator.

There was a very clear bullet hole in it, which I explained was cause. "oh no that's been there for years" I was told.

Turned out the vibration shock from the guns, which were directly underneith had vibrated one of the cards loose in side. reseated the card and it worked fine!

I look forwards to that machine coming up for sale!