PlayStation 5 + WD Black SN850 NVMe Possible Failure.

Rizvan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So my PlayStation 5 + WD Black SN850 NVMe setup seems to have developed a potential problem which I think might be down to the NVMe.

On a few occasions now when launching games which are installed on the NVMe they fail to run, says there has been a error.
If you try and move the game from the NVMe to the internal SSD it also fails and shows the incorrect move data capacity etc

I then try and perform a restart the PlayStation 5 and it just hangs. It fails to restart and just sits there.
After a few button presses on the front it and then it eventually comes on.
I am then greeted with the PlayStation 5 was not shut down properly message followed by it stating that the NVMe was not removed / unplugged correctly!

It does a quick repair on the NVMe before going back to the main dashboard.

So my plan is to move as much as I can from the NVMe to the internal SSD and my external USB SSD and then re-format the NVMe and monitor.
It doesn’t sound good though considering I haven’t even had it long.

Will keep everybody updated on progress in case anybody else is having the same issues.

So my plan is to move as much as I can from the NVMe to the internal SSD and my external USB SSD and then re-format the NVMe and monitor.
It doesn’t sound good though considering I haven’t even had it long.

Will keep everybody updated on progress in case anybody else is having the same issues.
You didn’t mention it, but might also be worth removing the NVMe & reinserting it, just in case it somehow got a bit loose.

Quick update folks.
So before a re-formatted the NVMe, I copied Gran Turismo 7 from it to the internal SSD, it was painfully slow to copy.
Managed to get everything moved off and then re-format the NVMe, copied back Gran Turismo 7 and others and it was massively quicker.
I do feel something may have caused the WD SN850 to "slow down" and / or develop some kind of problem.
I will continue to monitor, if it starts causing issues I can, I will have to go down the warranty route, hopefully its covered under warranty.

Isnt that speed difference for transferring games normal though ? I mean as I undertand it the internal SSD has a good read but much slower write speed so moving data to it from the additional NMVe is always kinda slow but in reverse quite quick ?

this is an example - takes almost 3 mins to copy Spiderman MM from NVMe to console, but only 30 seconds to move it back.

Isnt that speed difference for transferring games normal though ? I mean as I undertand it the internal SSD has a good read but much slower write speed so moving data to it from the additional NMVe is always kinda slow but in reverse quite quick ?

this is an example - takes almost 3 mins to copy Spiderman MM from NVMe to console, but only 30 seconds to move it back.

I wasn't aware of this :)
I have since moved some games back onto the newly formatted SSD and things seem to be running ok.
Will continue to monitor. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom