playstation 5 problem 2.1 port - avr not 2.1 - configuring sound?

wakkaday

Standard Member
is there a way,
my other devices, non 2.1 are all connected to the avr via the arc input to the tv arc hdmi port
unfortunately my avr doesnt have 2.1 port, so i bought a new cables and plugged directly to tv, but i have an issue with sound, i have to manually change the output to tv and on the tv change the output to 'tv audio'

is there a way i can configure it so the sound comes out out of the avr reciever 5.1 system.
do i need to invest in an optical cable? will this eliminate the issue
and will it it auto change the sound channel on my reciever when the playstation is on? rather then hearing devices from my other ouput i.e. firestick...
devices: denon avr 2400h
playstation 5

i hope you can help...

Barney Gumble

is there a way,
my other devices, non 2.1 are all connected to the avr via the arc input to the tv arc hdmi port
unfortunately my avr doesnt have 2.1 port, so i bought a new cables and plugged directly to tv, but i have an issue with sound, i have to manually change the output to tv and on the tv change the output to 'tv audio'

is there a way i can configure it so the sound comes out out of the avr reciever 5.1 system.
do i need to invest in an optical cable? will this eliminate the issue
and will it it auto change the sound channel on my reciever when the playstation is on? rather then hearing devices from my other ouput i.e. firestick...
devices: denon avr 2400h
playstation 5

i hope you can help...
Trying to decipher what it is you're trying to achieve or the issue you're having.

If it merely relates to the PS5 and your TV has an HDMI2.1 port, connect the PS5 to that and just rely on ARC. The PS5 can't output anything more than DD for games so I tend to leave mine on PCM, connected to the TV and use eARC (I appreciate your receiver isn't eARC capable).

wakkaday

Standard Member
I want to
Trying to decipher what it is you're trying to achieve or the issue you're having.

If it merely relates to the PS5 and your TV has an HDMI2.1 port, connect the PS5 to that and just rely on ARC. The PS5 can't output anything more than DD for games so I tend to leave mine on PCM, connected to the TV and use eARC (I appreciate your receiver isn't eARC capable).
i want to rely on arc for the sound but it doesn’t work , not sure what settings I need to adjust on the Denon receiver and what input to select so the sounds come from the 5.1 speakers

Barney Gumble

I want to

i want to rely on arc for the sound but it doesn’t work , not sure what settings I need to adjust on the Denon receiver and what input to select so the sounds come from the 5.1 speakers
If everything is connected and has previously worked, try power cycling everything, particularly the TV and receiver. It may just be a case of re-establishing handshakes.

One would assume the receiver would have ARC enabled by default amongst the settings, especially if you're getting sound from other components attached (to the TV), presumably?

On my PS5 the audio out is set to TV via PCM, eARC is on on the TV by default, as it is on my receiver.

wakkaday

Standard Member
If everything is connected and has previously worked, try power cycling everything, particularly the TV and receiver. It may just be a case of re-establishing handshakes.

One would assume the receiver would have ARC enabled by default amongst the settings, especially if you're getting sound from other components attached (to the TV), presumably?

The other hdmi devices firestick Nintendo switch are connected to the avr receiver hdmi ports , there is a hdmi going from the arc on the avr receiver to the arc port on the tv which is hdmi 3. The 2.1 port on the tv is a hdmi 4 port
On my PS5 the audio out is set to TV via PCM, eARC is on on the TV by default, as it is on my receiver.
I may have to check the settings on the ps5 and adjust as above, but I don’t have e arch, just standard arc

dante01

Distinguished Member
If connecting sources directly to the TV then those sources shoul;d be connected to the inputs that are not ARC enabled on that TV. Only the AV receiver needs to be connected to the ARC enabled input and you'd use the AV receiver's ARC enabled output to make this connection.

Once the AV receiver's ARC enabled output is connected to the TV's ARC enabled input, turn HDMI Control and ARC on from within the AV receiver's HDMI configurations. You'll also need to turn ARC on onboard the TV and engage that TV's implimentation of HDMI CEC. HDMI CEC is the same as HDMI Control, but many TV manufacturers call it by some other name.

You should also set the digital audio output option associated with the TV's ARC configuration to BITSTREAM, AUTO or PASS THROUGH. Do not set this to the PCM option.

eARC is an enhanced form of ARC that allows HD formatted audio and multichannel PCM to be conveyed. THe more conventional form of ARC is limited to SD fprmatted audio and no more than just 2 channel PCM. Your AV receiver does not unfortunately support eARC and is limited to the capabilities associated with conventional ARC. This means that if sourcing the audio from devices connected directly to the TV then you'd be limited to SD formatted audio and no more than just 2 channel PCM.

wakkaday

Standard Member
Ah is the suggestion all my devices should be connected to the tv hdmi ports rather then the avr? And only the hdmi cable connection is arc port on tv to the receiver arc port ? This way all output from the tv will come out of 5.1 set up ? With a few setting changes as above , but is there a way of trying it now, with let’s say a single device connected to the tv, the ps5 …and the arc is already connected between avr and tv

dante01

Distinguished Member
Ah is the suggestion all my devices should be connected to the tv hdmi ports rather then the avr? And only the hdmi cable connection is arc port on tv to the receiver arc port ? This way all output from the tv will come out of 5.1 set up ? With a few setting changes as above , but is there a way of trying it now, with let’s say a single device connected to the tv, the ps5 …and the arc is already connected between avr and tv

No and I'd propbably suggest the oposite given the fact that your AV receiver isn't eARC enabled.

I'd suggest you connect all your sources directly to the AV receiver, including your PS5. I'd not bother about the potential 4K 120Hz video and stick with 4K 60Hz which your AV receiver can handle. You'd lose video features such as ray tracing if playing games at 120Hz anyway.

If still intent on connecting the PS5 directly to the TV to access 4K 120Hz then you'd be limited to 5.1 SD formatted audio. You'd have to configure the PS5 to BITSTREAM Dolby Digital and set its output to 5.1.

Last edited:

Jamie

Distinguished Member
My Marantz has separate options for ARC and HDMI control. what model Denon amp are you using?

Personally I leave HDMI control off and use a universal remote to switch inputs manually like you describe in your OP.

If I turn on HDMI control then it will switch automatically like you want but I found unwanted stuff would also happen like the TV turning on when i just want to listen to music.

wakkaday

Standard Member
denon avr 2400h
----

ok if i did get an optical cable from the avr to the television, would that work for surround sound 5.1 via my avr

dante01

Distinguished Member
S/PDIF optical is even more limired than ARC. It too cannot convey HD formatted audio, audio of more than 5.1 channels, DD+ or mulrichannel PCM. Optical is limited to no more than SD quality 5.! or 2 channel PCM.

wakkaday

Standard Member
S/PDIF optical is even more limired than ARC. It too cannot convey HD formatted audio, audio of more than 5.1 channels, DD+ or mulrichannel PCM.
ah ok will go back to the avr reciever connected to the playstation and await a cheap avr with 2.1

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom