PlayStation 3 System Software Update v3.40

Hubba-EX

Prominent Member
Reaction score
PlayStation 3 System Software Update v3.40 Available Soon – PlayStation Blog

* PlayStation Plus: PlayStation Network users will be able to purchase membership to PlayStation Plus; a new subscription service on the PlayStation Network that provides you with new options to expand and enhance your gaming experience and enable you to gain an exclusive set of features and content. Friendly reminder, all of you PlayStation Network users will continue to have free access to PlayStation Network’s unmatched and expanding suite of new and exclusive features while PlayStation Plus subscribers will gain access to an exclusive and expanding set of gaming features, content and functionality.

* Photo Gallery: A new network based photo sharing feature is now available on the Photo Gallery. The enhancement allows you to upload, browse and comment on photos on Facebook and Picasa Web Album. You can also opt to share your photos between your PlayStation Network friends as well as print photos from Photo Gallery.

* Video Editor & Uploader: Video Editor and Uploader is a new function found on the XrossMediaBar (XMB), which enables you to edit, save and upload video files stored on the PS3 system to sites such as Facebook or YouTube.

* Five Star Rating Support: Users can rate the PlayStation Store content they have purchased with one to five star ratings.

* Power Save Settings: The default setting for PS3 System Auto-Off will be set at 2 hours, providing you with additional power save options and further improving power save features on the PS3 system.

Picasa shows Sony are working more and more with Google. Maybe Google Chrome will find it's way onto the PS3 some time soon. :)

What about 3D Blu Ray support? Anyone heard?

As usual with firmware updates, version 3.40 brings with it some hidden features not mentioned on any of the pre-launch changelogs and Blog posts. Alongside the new stuff we learnt about last night – Facebook, video editing, rating and photo uploading are the following minor tweaks and additions:

* Your Friends List will now show Trophy levels as you hover over them.
* Friends Lists now have a golden ‘plus’ on them for anyone subscribing to PlayStation Plus.
* The colours of your Friend’s boxes faded in, rather than ‘jumping’ from the normal grey.
* There’s an option to calibrate the sensors in PlayStation Move controllers.
* Deep Color Output has been added for TV sets that support the feature over HDMI.
* The Video Editor cannot be used on videos installed on the hard drive before Firmware 3.40.
* A few PlayStation Plus items have appeared in the menus, such as Automatic Downloading.

If any more appear, we’ll let you know.

SOURCE

Just installing now:)

whats the new facebook integration then? theres nothing extra in account management and the half arsed browser still isn't fully compatible with the site :thumbsdow

Mildly annoying is that after the 167mb update, when you first launch the photo gallery it's another 110Mb update for that!

Mildly annoying is that after the 167mb update, when you first launch the photo gallery it's another 110Mb update for that!

But if they packaged it with the update that'll be 277mb.

Not everyone uses photo gallery, so they've saved 110mb.

I dont use facebook or rubbish home, more data saved!

* Your Friends List will now show Trophy levels as you hover over them.

I thought this was going to show the actual levels you have for each type of trophy (like on the trophy card) to save you going into each friend, but no, all it shows is purely which level they are on - i.e 8, not even the % they are through that level. Bit pointless IMO

And unless I missed it before there is now a third playstation store Icon on the XMB - seems a bit of overkill

i've read that eu and uk users don't get the little big planet game free

psn store says otherwise

Attachments

• SV203626.jpg
    SV203626.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 144

* Photo Gallery: A new network based photo sharing feature is now available on the Photo Gallery. The enhancement allows you to upload, browse and comment on photos on Facebook and Picasa Web Album. You can also opt to share your photos between your PlayStation Network friends as well as print photos from Photo Gallery.

I'm hoping this feature will allow access to DLNA streamed photo's in the gallery as well...

allow access to DLNA streamed photo's in the gallery as well...

That is what I thought, but on reading the detail I am not so sure. Fingers crossed

I installed it and uninstalled it within the save 5 minutes, nothing really exciting and the Facebook integration isnt even linked with your PSN account that you already linked (if you used it in account settings).

whats the new facebook integration then? theres nothing extra in account management and the half arsed browser still isn't fully compatible with the site :thumbsdow

Basically the Photo Gallery which is pointless, and the new PSN application which does not seem to work correctly on my Facebook account.

:thumbsdow

Mike

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom