Playstation 3 Slim Fan Noise Issues Cont'.

TontoBill

Established Member
Reaction score
Thread made as a continuation of a previous thread by AnthonyG regarding the Ps3 Slims fan noise.

To the many that posted previously please try and keep us all updated. New posts welcome too.

Well I thought my fan noise was pretty normal, however after a game it does ramp up and gets loud. It's not so much loud that it fills the room, but its a very high pitched annoying sound that takes forever to rev back down (Similar to the video comparision). My PS3 Slim also gets really hot in the back.

Think I am just going to return mine and stick with my 360 Elite until Sony gets a chance to iron out the kinks with a 1st generation model.

I've spoken to some Sony reps on the phone and they are saying it's normal and the Slims have a different cooling system that can take longer then normal, this is coming from 2 reps I spoke with.

Really really nice product, the fan and heat is just so discouraging :/

Well I thought my fan noise was pretty normal, however after a game it does ramp up and gets loud. It's not so much loud that it fills the room, but its a very high pitched annoying sound that takes forever to rev back down (Similar to the video comparision). My PS3 Slim also gets really hot in the back.

Think I am just going to return mine and stick with my 360 Elite until Sony gets a chance to iron out the kinks with a 1st generation model.

I've spoken to some Sony reps on the phone and they are saying it's normal and the Slims have a different cooling system that can take longer then normal, this is coming from 2 reps I spoke with.

Really really nice product, the fan and heat is just so discouraging :/

Just bound to be teething problem with the 1st gen, wait fot the next lot of them and they might be cheaper too

I have a PS3 Slim and an Xbox 360 jasper and the 360 is a lot louder than the slim.

I have a PS3 Slim and an Xbox 360 jasper and the 360 is a lot louder than the slim.

Agreed. I've been through a few Slims, so I went over to my friends who has a 360 Jasper. After hearing how loud that thing was I gave the Slim another chance, and compared to the 360, it's great. I think that I had to hear how loud it could be to finally be happy with the Slim. Mine gets warm/hot too. The manual says it's normal (at least to get warm).

I almost got a used 60GB instead though. Could have bought one for $300 that was just fixed (the guy had the 90 day warranty with it). But I just couldn't justify spending the same amount of money for a 3 year old console with half the HDD space, even if he did say that the fans on the 60GB were quiet.

I don't recall my Elite (Think it's a Falcon?) being that loud. Then again, maybe I haven't paid that close attention.

It's not that the Slim is that loud.. you can hear it at least, the noise of the fan is ANNOYING more then loud.. it's a more high-pitched fan.

Xan, if you have the means, you should throw up a video on Youtube. Would love to get a sense of this "high pitch" that you're referring too. :)

It's pretty similar to the Slim and Fat comparision video. Maybe not as loud, but to me that seems a little higher pitched.

Chances are if everyones PS3 Slim sounds similar to in the video its normal. I doubt there are many faulty fans out there, it's just how they are. Poor advertising on Sonys part though :)

It's pretty similar to the Slim and Fat comparision video. Maybe not as loud, but to me that seems a little higher pitched.

Chances are if everyones PS3 Slim sounds similar to in the video its normal. I doubt there are many faulty fans out there, it's just how they are. Poor advertising on Sonys part though :)

And the people who have changed the machines they describe pretty much the same way as the rest of us who had noisy machines for a "virtually silent" machine are just lying? :)

It's hard to tell really. People will have different perceptions of what they consider quiet and loud on a console. Even mine sounds whisper quiet for a little bit, until the game goes on for about a half hour, then the fan kicks on.

The only way to really tell if those people claming with super quiet PS3's to post videos.

I've spoken to some Sony rep's and they said it was normal. One said they have about 100 PS3's in their center where he is and they make noise. So I don't know.

EDIT: Perfect example with Paul. I have a Elite 360 system, and even that sounded whisper quiet to me until I started paying attention, then it seemed loud. It can be all in your head too.

My beef with the Slim is the fan is a annoying sound, rather then loud.

Last edited:
If you like golfing or fishing games it might be a problem :rotfl:

Well, with that now infamous (no pun intended) Youtube video, there is a good chance that all Sims are like that. But, a couple of things to consider:

- there is no way to tell how sensitive that guy's mic was

- and the room it's in seems pretty spacious... could be causing an acoustic sound, thus amplifying the fan noise

I think you're right though Xan... a lot of it may be in our heads. I think if you start to listen for it long enough, that's all you'll hear. I can still hear the fans on my Slim, but I've already getting used to it. They aren't loud, but I'm already subconsciously drowning them out.

And I wouldn't wait for the next wave either. Firstly, I doubt they will be any different (and even if they are, we will convince ourselves they are not). And secondly, we may have it in our heads now that all Slims are "loud". So, the next wave may seem loud to us when they are perfectly fine (this wave too).

I just think that if you wait for the next wave of consoles to hit, you'll end up waiting for the next one, then the next one...

My nephew traded his 360 in and got the slim a few days ago. It is indeed quiet - just like my 40Gb phat.

How quiet would you say that it is? Mine is dead silent on the XMB. Then I'll put a disc in and it will get louder.. then it will quiet down again before "settling in" to a low fan noise.

It would be great if it stayed dead silent all the time like it is on the XMB, but my experience tells me that the Slims don't so that.

The one thing I always wonder is the way some people make you believe that the noise of the Slim is normal -- for example that noise in the comparison video. The reason I bring this up is that a lot of people are saying their Slim is whisper quiet. I mean c'mon... How bad does your hearing have to be or how loose does you perspective need to be if the Slim you hear in the video and the Slim that I had is 'whisper quiet' to you? I mean I heard my through movies and games and on an otherwise silent room from over 10 metres away. The noise was always clear and irritating. How can that be 'whisper quiet'?

I'm not saying that that these people do not have queit Slims. I'm sure they do and they are lucky in that way. However to say that those of us who consider our Slims loud are just hyper-sensitive to noise... Well that's just wrong. I'm sure some of us are but the problem isn's really sensitivity, the problem is that factually there are a lot of Slims out there with some serious noise issues and the high pitch of noise doesn't help either.

The slim's been around for a month now - has anyone had just one slim over this month (without a replacement). If so, has the fan noise decreased at all over use?

Has anyone with a noisy ps3 120GB tried exchanging for 250GB?

Obviously they are they are the same design but I thought it might be a good way of ensuring that you get a different batch.

Release day console here - and it sounds the same today as it did back on the 1st of September.. Annoying!!

I believe the fan does'nt break in, your ears do. :zonked:

May contemplate a 250Gb Unchart2 bundle but honestly I dont think it will sound any different. Probably wait for a few reviews/threads.

Also a little sore at the 250Gb selling at £285 with a three game bundle.
I paid £250 for 120Gb with one game.

Learnt my lesson there.

Last edited:
Glad this thread was made to continue the discussion...

Sony shipped me my new Slim and i should have it Tuesday. I'll post back on its noise after i get it hooked up, and put it through the paces.

I agree with Xan (i think thats who said it..) its not the fan speed thats extremely audible and annoying, its the NOISE that it makes...the "nails on a chalkboard" whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr noise that you clearly hear over any quiet scene in a game, or movie. I hope my new one is quiet, or at least quieter than my first one. :lease:

The slim's been around for a month now - has anyone had just one slim over this month (without a replacement). If so, has the fan noise decreased at all over use?

I've had a 120g from launch day, no replacements. Fan noise was never an issue with my 60g launch model and its the same with the Slim. Last night, on the XMB, it was literally silent. Guess I've been lucky.

There is an initial fan noise when first switched on but this goes after a few seconds. On occaision, depending on what I'm playing, it will ramp up a level but never to the point where it interfers with my viewing/gaming pleasure.

Other than the fact Sony have released a 250g version, I'm happy.

Saying that, I have purchased a 3 year warranty! Just in case.....

I've had a 120g from launch day, no replacements. Fan noise was never an issue with my 60g launch model and its the same with the Slim. Last night, on the XMB, it was literally silent. Guess I've been lucky.

I think a good test is to let it sit on the XMB for 10 or 15 minutes. People who are complaining about noise have said that the fans will kick in on the XMB during this time.

Had mine since the 4th September.

I don't have a problem with the sound of the slim, it's by no means intrusive when gaming or watching a blu ray (I sit about 6ft away), but it is also not silent, apart from when initially switched on and idle on the XMB.

Although I now notice the sound less (as I am no longer purposely listening out for it!) the machine itself hasn't decreased in volume, it is identical to the day that it was purchased. To be honest, I wouldn't have paid much attention to the noise if it wasn't for the previous thread. :D

How quiet would you say that it is?

You cant hear my 40gb phat when watching a movie at normal volumes. Gaming on it is the same. Just silent all the time.

The only way i can describe it to that my ps3 phat emits the same noise as what a micro hifi unit emits with its fan at the rear - in other words hardly any noise!

If its silent and just ambient noise then you can hear it faintly but its not an obtrusive noise. I sit around 3metres from my ps3.

Its the same for my nephews new slim.

I should add the my phat and my nephews slim are on shelves and not enclosed spaces so they have all the breathing/cooling space they need.

PS. I was around my brothers earlier and had a game on fifa 10 and i couldn't hear the slim. DOnt get me wrong - its not silent as that impossible unless your deaf but you only notice it working when your listening to it with just ambient sounds. When your playing a game or watching a movie you cant hear it.

Last edited:
I just got a 250Gb slim and its quiet ..much quieter than my daughters phat ..I do sit about 10 ft away from it but I had to go right up to it and put my ear to it to hear the fans ..thats after playing a BR and about 2 hours of Fifa 10

well chuffed :thumbsup:

Just returned my Slim back to the store for a full refund. I'm going to wait until these models flesh out a bit. I have much more of a game library on the Xbox 360 right now.

Just went back to my Elite 360 model, and wow.. what a day and night difference. My Elite 360 is nearly whisper quiet during everything. Just a very low fan noise. Granted I install most of my games to the HD but still, the loading and quietness is just very impressive. For a 360? That's saying something.

Sorry, I'm not trying to start a 360 v PS3 thing here, but theres got to be some faultyness going on if my 360 is more quiet then a PS3!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom