1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 : Game-play Montage in Hi-Def

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Overlord69, Oct 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overlord69

Overlord69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Some Hi-Def video of alleged in-game footage from the Tokyo game show 05 :-

* Remember to right click and chose "Save target as" *

Right Click Here : WM

Right Click Here : QT

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Apparently the PS3 will run at the exact same speed as the xbox 360. This should make the next generation more interesting with a more level playing field.

3. Overlord69

Overlord69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    What's your source? :confused:

4. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hmm, depending on what you read, PS3 should be a fair bit faster than Xbox360! After all, it has 2 HDMI outputs and can support 1080p (not that there's much call for it presently!) and where MS are saying the baseline for HD games is 720p, Sony may well go for 1080i, we'll see, but don't think for a moment that Xbox360 has the jump on PS3 in the way the current Xbox does over PS2.

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Agree with Jedi.
    Please dont get some pre-concieved idea that the PS3 is some how better than the 360.

They are both practically the same.
    One has better specs in one area while the other has better specs in another.

Its all on paper and since no one has seen any finished games on either system, I dont want to hear fan boys shouting that one system is 10X more powerfull than the other.

At the end of the day its up to the game programmers and how much effort they put into a game.

Sony are famous for showing vids of stuff looking amazing but the finished product never seems to be quite the same.

So far, Ive had a chance to actually play on the 360 at TGS and I felt its a good machine. Once I get a chance to try an actual PS3 game in real time I will decide then and there which i am impresed by the most.

6. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Judging by what sony and MS are saying about thier consoles(spec) and other people who are in the know, I think PS3 should offer better graphics.

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    From what i've seen, both consoles seem pretty well matched technically and that's a good thing IMO. Surely we'll be getting all of the consoles anyway so as always there's very little point in the "this console is better than that console" debates.

From my point of view there's also far too many great games coming out to bother with mundane discussions about 1 console maybe throwing a few more triangles about than another one etc... :rolleyes:

8. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Having just bought a plasma screen though, the main decider is that PS3 will give me High Definition games and movies, Xbox360 only does games and I don't mind paying a little extra for PS3 if it covers all my HD needs!

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    After watchig that montage of clips, alot of it still seems like cut scenes to me. There also seems to be a very small amount of in game footage being shown

10. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Your right Dave, most of that footage was shown either at E3 or TGS this year.

Some of those shots might have been in game but most are not.

I just find it amazing how much praise the PS3 is receiving from everyone even though we have still to see an actual game running in real time on a finished PS3!

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Crikey AML, you really do have a downer on the PS3. The MGS4 trailer was created solely using the game engine and is rendered in real time (just like every other MGS trailer). It's not in game footage per se but it is the quality of the in game footage as the engine is creating it in real time (it is not pre-rendered).

The stuff i've seen on the PS3 so far looks a similar quality to the 360 stuff i've seen and I would guess that both consoles will be of a similar standard. I am certainly not giving the PS3 any undue praise or saying it's going to be better than the 360 etc.

To be honest i'm more than certain that the PS3 will be technically capable. The thing that concerns me more about it is whether Sony can come up with a viable alternative to X-Box Live! Given their previous attempt I would say that this is much more in doubt than the machine's graphical performance.

12. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Even at this stage we can not judge them by thier in game footage, it will take few more month before game makers will realy get hold of what both consoles are offering, so we can only judge them by thier spec sheet at moment.

13. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    AML - I haven't actually seen anyone playing a game on a finished Xbox360 yet either! Has anyone?

14. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Komeo for Xbox360 can be seen on Gamespot, acctual gameplay.

15. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    Some one stated that the PS3 has 2 HDMI outputs.......dont count on that
    Sony have already started removing features from the PS3 due to them making the unit too pricey. I read somewhere that they have already removed the network hub and are thinking about removing 1 of the hdmi outputs
    Another thing people are complaining about is the fact that the xbox 360 wont include a HD-DVD rom. We all know the first batch of consoles will come with a standard dvd rom but it really does look like MS may incorporate a HD-DVD rom in later machines
    I hear a lot of people saying it can't be done cos then 2 different versions of the game would need to be made.
    I have been reading about this and it seems MS are looking into using a double sided disc with one side being a dual layer dvd and the other side being hd-dvd, meaning they can have 2 versions of the game on 1 disc

16. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    MS have stated that they will just use the HD-DVD format for films if it is imcorporated, not for games. Essentially it just gives the unit HD film output. Personally i'd perfer a standalone HD player once I know which format has "won the HD war".

17. podavies

podavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not being funny but i think i saw about 15 seconds of in game footage,
    For me to believe that was ingame footage i need to see dials, cross hairs, highlights around the players in sport games, other wise it could all be prerenderd bullsh8t.

18. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I would like to see footage of the players actually playing the games and reacting to what is onscreen. Only then, will I be impressed ;)

19. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I doubt Xbox360 will ever support HD movies. They have been accused of confusing consumers by releasing "two" versions of Xbox360 at launch, are they going to alienate those early adopters by enhancing the Xbox360 in a years time? Nah. They have also said they will reduce the price of Xbox360 each year, how will they do that if they are going to add new hardware to it within a year of launch?

No, the entire MS supporting HD-DVD issue has nothing to do with the format, and everything to do with Blu-Ray being co-developed by Sony. It's incredibly childish. They should stay out of the whole thing and worry about Xbox360 vs PS3 - that will keep them busy enough over the next few years!

All the "facts" MS spouted off about HD-DVD's advantages over BD have been proved unfounded by Dell and Apple.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/30/dell_hp_vs_ms_intel/

20. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Personally I couldn't give two hoots if MS release a HD player for the 360 as I would buy a stand alone player regardless. I don't use my PS2 as a DVD player and I can't see me using a PS3 as a blue ray player. Using one device for all pruposes just wears out the drive in that unit much quicker and you can bet that it won't be a great quality drive either as they will want to keep costs down.

Oh and anyone who gets confussed by the two packs that MS are offering really needs help and perhaps should consider simpler toys, say from the early learning centre. Infact anyone who has learnt the ability to read should be able to compare the two packs.

21. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Riiiiiight...

and you're a moderator! wow. :rolleyes:

22. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    I too doubt whether a HD-DVD player will ever be incorporated into the 360, and it's not really a feature that bothers me at all. Saying it's childish and just doing it to keep up with Sony is missing the point - why not include it if it turns out HD-DVD wins the format war and it proves cost effective to do so?

Sony have gone very quiet recently, I suppose just not wanting to get drowned out by the 360 noise, but it's kind of concerning that there has been no concrete news since E3. Sony really need to step up a gear to stop MS eating into their market - it'll be interesting to see what they will do...

23. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    so a moderator cannot express his opinion ? read the first line of his sig will you !

im still abit swayed on the blu-ray thing. i know alot of people got into DVD because of Playstation 2 me being a prime example of this. naturally it will never be as good as a standalone player but it could wet the apetite of people. if MS does decide to not re-release a console with HD-DVD dev's could just split the game over multiple DVD's if storage is the issue, its been done before.

24. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Maybe he means mods should'nt insult people? I do agree with Cas people should be able to tell the difference. :D

25. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    That's correct, although I fail to see what that has to do with the fact that..

A) I would much prefer a stand alone unit to having a player built into my console and..

B) That I find the 2 packs that MS are releasing very easy to understand and that the information on the two packs can be gained from virtually every site selling them. It's a serious point that if you can read then you can easily tell what the difference is between the two packs.

As Kopite has pointed out - my views are my own and not those of the forum. Just because I along with many others spend some of my spare time helping out with this forum, so it can exist for people such as you to voice your opinion doesn't mean that I lose the right to express my own opinion.

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    I am insulting nobody, merely pointing out that it's incredibly easy to understand the difference between the two packs.

27. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    And i'm just pointing out that maybe that's what he thought you were doing? :)

28. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Fair enough ;) , that wasn't my intention though. Anyway we'll leave it at that as this thread has seriously drifted off topic. Infact I feel that the original conversation re: the Game-Play Montage has run it's course.

Thread Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.