• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Playstation 3 from Ebay, any advice?

J_C_X

Established Member
I snagged a PS3 from ebay at £430 (60gb) has anyone else got a PS3 from ebay? Can I use a UK PC powerline? What kind of custom tax am I looking at? I'm getting it as a Christmas present!:thumbsup:

MaxRes

Established Member
I snagged a PS3 from ebay at £430 (60gb) has anyone else got a PS3 from ebay? Can I use a UK PC powerline? What kind of custom tax am I looking at? I'm getting it as a Christmas present!:thumbsup:

1: Yes

2: Yes, with a 3 amp fuse.

3: Depends on the declared value, and if customs catch it, usually 22%.

4:Good luck, in getting it before christmas

MaxRes

Established Member
It's UPS superfast shipping! What are the chances of the customs catching it?

If you read some of the other posts regarding UPS and Fedex, they all get charged.

I may be wrong, but i haven't seen anyone get through customs with these companies.

breakersrevenge

Established Member
Depending on custom paperwork amount/value, you will get charged.

F

FullMetalAlchy

DHL are very good, and I hear that quite a lot get through with no import charges......

My games come with DHL and I havn't been charged any import duty..... I bought a PSP which was sent UPS and I did get charged....

tripodjw

Established Member
DHL are very good, and I hear that quite a lot get through with no import charges......

My games come with DHL and I havn't been charged any import duty..... I bought a PSP which was sent UPS and I did get charged....

DHL normally send you an invoice later through the post for any customs charges (plus their handling fee of course). At least that is what has happened to me befoe when I've had games shipped DHL.

In case that is of any help to anyone.

Fozzy17

Established Member
people normally ask for the seller to mark it as a gift, or mark the value as low, mine was marked at $200 value, and i ended paying £41 with £12 parcelforce handling charge.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
It's UPS superfast shipping! What are the chances of the customs catching it?

It depends on how it is marked. But if it's not marked as a gift then there is a very low chance of it getting through.

You'll be charged a 3.5% customs charge and then 17.5% VAT on top. Plus then you have the admin charge of the courier , for UPS iirc it is 2.5% or £11 (whichever is higher!)

ngenius1

Established Member
Tejstars right, had 10 ps3's delivered by Fedex today.
Had to pay handling charge and vat.
Onyl way round it is to send by standard recorded post from country of origin, and most of the time you will get away with it. Bit risky though!

Tejstars right, had 10 ps3's delivered by Fedex today.
Had to pay handling charge and vat.
Onyl way round it is to send by standard recorded post from country of origin, and most of the time you will get away with it. Bit risky though!

lol 10 PS3's you sure you got enough there ;)
just out of curiosity how much customs did u pay for all of them

ngenius1

Established Member
Awaiting the dam thing to arrive, im sure they make it up as they go along! You pay for a service yet they charge you handling fee's, Whats that all about!!
Will let you know the damage when i recover:eek:

andrewjh009

Established Member
Awaiting the dam thing to arrive, im sure they make it up as they go along! You pay for a service yet they charge you handling fee's, Whats that all about!!
Will let you know the damage when i recover:eek:

I hope those 10 PS3's are going to the childrens hospital and not lining your own pocket, doubt you'll make as much as you think mind, maybe enough to cover a PS3 for free.

ngenius1

Established Member
Fortunately or unfortunately, depends how you look at it, my pockets will be definetly be lined.
Charity always starts at home!

Korum

Prominent Member
Yeah its shipped! I wonder how much custom tax do I expect. £150 gulp:eek:

Unfortunately you stand little chance of getting this before Christmas.Mine was shipped via USPS Global priority and Parcelforce24 over here and it still took 9 days.Mine was declared at $600 value/$100 shipping and as merchandise and I paid £77.77 customs charges.

If you parcel is marked as a gift the shipping is VAT free so it depends on what value it's been declared as and UPS normally charge more admin than Parcelforce but you will not have to pay for about 3 weeks after delivery until they send you the invoice.

BTW You will not pay anywhere near £150 so don't worry.

Korum

Prominent Member
You can't sell them on here for anything above RRP which is around £425 as it stands at the moment.

Also if you're a Mackem why do you have Newcastle-Upon-Tyne as your Location, you could get Lynched for that up here!!!

R

Rageracer

well,
im neither actually, i'm from worcestershire, but was living in newcastle, sund is just a temp til I get back to newcastle. But anyway are those forum rules ?
I'm not asking stupid money anyway like on ebay. Just want to see them go to a good home, to someone who wants them for christmas.
Cheers
Andy

Korum

Prominent Member
well,
im neither actually, i'm from worcestershire, but was living in newcastle, sund is just a temp til I get back to newcastle. But anyway are those forum rules ?
I'm not asking stupid money anyway like on ebay. Just want to see them go to a good home, to someone who wants them for christmas.
Cheers
Andy

Yeah if you actually posted these for sale in the Games trading forum the mods would close your thread down as it stipulates that Wii's/PS3's can't be sold above RRP and £520 is way above it.

I know you are only trying to make a modest profit but you'll get nowhere on these forums.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom