Question playstation 3 can be use for atmos and dts x movies

playhockey

Established Member
Reaction score
hi like to know if i will be able to play atmos and dts x movies from a playstation 3 to yamaha rxa 1050 or do i need to buy a blue ray machine thanks

hi like to know if i will be able to play atmos and dts x movies from a playstation 3 to yamaha rxa 1050 or do i need to buy a blue ray machine thanks

Good question: I'm wondering if you use bit-stream on the PS3, the amp will decode atoms etc.. Does your PS3 play Dolby HD? I think that's a coded that was released after the PS3 was manufactured.

AFAIK atoms and dts:x will be contained in the TrueHD and DTS MA sound tracks so your avr/amp should pick them up and decode according. Not sure what HD audio format the playstation can stream??

All a player needs to do is bitstream TrueHD in order for an Atmos enabled AV receiver to be able to process the audio stream as Atmos encoded. You cannot have the player do the decoding and output the audio as multichannel PCM if wanting Atmos because the Atmos metadata needed to fascilitate Atmos would not be included within the PCM data stream.

The original PS3 phat model could not bitstream either DTS:X or TrueHD audio and had to decode these formats onboard and output the results as LPCM. However the PS3 Slim can bitstream both, but not if the Blue-ray is a 3D film. The PS3 cannot bitstream TrueHD if the video content is sequential 3D as used for 3D Blue-ray titles. So the answer is yes, the PS3 can output Atmos encoded content as long as the console is the slim model, you bitstream the TrueHD audio and as long as the film isn't the sequential 3D version.

As far as DTS:X is concerned, this too will be embedded within the DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack. You'd once again have to bitstream the DTS-HD Master Audio in order for the associated DTS:X metadata to be present within the stream for the AV receiver to be able to process it as DTS:X. The PS3 slim can bitstream DTS-HD Master Audio even if the video content is 3d sequential.

Last edited:
The PS3 can bitstream both DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD, but it cannot stream TrueHD if the associated video content is 3D sequential as used on 3D Blue-ray titles.

I've not checked the menus with the Ps4...does it have bitstream capability without any limitations?

Yes, the PS4 can bitstream audio although it is quirky to get it to do so with disc based media. You have to first start playing the film and then press the OPTIONS button on the controller. Within the settings go to the AUDO FORMATS option and then select BITSTREAM (DIRECT).

The PS4 rerains this preference for use with every subsequent disc you play.

Yes, the PS4 can bitstream audio although it is quirky to get it to do so with disc baed media. You have to first start playing the film and then press the OPTIONS button on the controller. Within the settings go to the AUDO FORMATS option and then select BITSTREAM (DIRECT).

The PS4 rerains this preference for use with every subsequent disc you play.

Thankyou sir, it's something that might become useful down the line :)

I just bought a new AVR-x1200w Denon and am very pleased with it. I thought lets go get some Atmos titles and some ceiling firing speakers and indulge. I bought myself a copy of Everest 3D.

When I play the standard 2D blu ray I can upscale the 2D content to 3D with my TV and enjoy Dolby Atmos too which is great :).

When I shove in the 3D version of the film, not only can I not view it in 3D which I thought the ps3 could do, coz I have set it up to do so. 55" etc over HDMI, I also cannot upscale coz of the content already being 3D I guess, but also I get no Atmos.

I guess Atmos is not possible on the 3D version but surely I can watch it in 3D, NO?

The PS3 cannot bitstream TrueHD if playing 3D sequential video. You have to bitstream TrueHD if you want Atmos. You'd need to use a player other than a PS3 if wanting to get Atmos from 3D Blu-rays encoded with Atmos.

If wishing to view natively encoded sequential 3D video then do not use any additional video scaling or processing on that video. If doing so then you'll be unable to play the video.

The PS3 cannot bitstream TrueHD if playing 3D sequential video. You have to bitstream TrueHD if you want Atmos. You'd need to use a player other than a PS3 if wanting to get Atmos from 3D Blu-rays encoded with Atmos.

If wishing to view natively encoded sequential 3D video then do not use any additional video scaling or processing on that video. If doing so then you'll be unable to play the video.

If the blu ray wasn't encoded with Atmos, would it play the 3D?

If the blu ray wasn't encoded with Atmos, would it play the 3D?

Yes. Ensure that you are not applying any additional scaling or processing on the video signal via the receiver. This would prevent the TV recognising the native 3D video because you've changed it.
The Atmos audio has nothing to do with you being unable to access the 3D video.

Yes. Ensure that you are not applying any additional scaling or processing on the video signal via the receiver. This would prevent the TV recognising the native 3D video because you've changed it.
The Atmos audio has nothing to do with you being unable to access the 3D video.

I really appreciate your help, but I just cannot get my receiver to pick up the 3D content! I'll keep trying, maybe its a ps3 selection somewhere?

I have just put in Motorstorm Apocolypse into the ps3 which is a 3D game for the. I said play in 3D when it asked me and still it only plays in 2D

yeah done all that, maybe my tv being 4K is trying to upscale it

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom