1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 as your HD source

Discussion in 'TVs' started by onefivenine, Jul 13, 2005.

1. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    This is going to have 1080p output as well as 1080i, 720p...
    Twin outputs as well using NVIDIA chips...

That's got to put it high up on the list of potential HD-DVD players...?

Hopefully Sony will also manufacture UK spec displays capable of taking full advantage of this capability.

2. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    They won't make it too good otherwise no one would buy the stand-alone decks, remember what happens when you try and watch a DVD in RGB on the PS2!

3. Van300

Van300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sony will have to make it good otherwise BD-DVD may loose over HD-DVD. By the specs I would say sony are pretty serious about PS3's HiDef DVD capabilities.

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Potential Blu-Ray players, no?

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Why not lyris? coz its a console?

If a machine is capable of displaying 1080P how would that make it any worse a player than a stand alone system?

I understand there being a difference between say a Denon 3910 and a PS2.
    First of all a PS2 cant upscale the DVD pic to 1080i. Second, the D/A converters on the PS2 wont be as advanced as that of the 3910.

But when looking at the PS3, its a whole new ball game.

Surely any machine capable of doing 1080P is good enough? Wont all 1080P pictures look almost the same? Especially since the pic is now digital and not analog?

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    This is the killer point for me. While Sony crippled PS2 DVD playback through scart (ostensibly because of copy protection), its still a digital - analog conversion.

PS3 bluray will be digital all the way through to the ends of its HDMI connector, so there is nothing to get wrong. It either decodes it or it doesn't.

IMO they'll use recordability and HDDs to differentiate the standalone players, perhaps with onboard decoders for the exotic sound formats if you don't have a suitable receiver.

All I need now is a TV with two HDMI sockets! (and component for xbox360)

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Unfortunately, virtually every DVD player decodes MPEG-2 video wrongly. Incredible, but true. The "chroma bug" is the most famous common decoding error, but there are others.

However, we can hope that the PS3's ability to decode MPEG4 is actually bug-free. It could happen.

8. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    It is also worth mentioning that digital all the way through doesn't guarantee the same performance between players. MPEG2 and MPEG4 are lossy encryption systems and their decoding can be implemented in different ways (witness the widespread MPEG2 chroma bug) - and thus deliver different resulting quality.

9. r47463

r47463
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's also worth bearing in mind that the PS3 might be noisier than standalone HD players, due to the fan on the CPU and GPU.

10. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    if sony dont pimp the benefits of blueray thru the PS3, then they are mad as its their only real key to victory over HD-DVD

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    There is alot more to it than whether it is analogue or digital! For one thing people seem under the (very) mistaken belief that a machine that outputs via HDMI/DVI is outputting a raw digital output - it's not. It is outputting a processed or partially processed stream which is one factor why a £200 HDMI player (Panasonic S97 for example) is still not as good as a £800 HDMI player (Denon 3910 for example). And additionally, even when employing an 'all digital' process, so many build quality factors still come into play when considering a unit's playback quality - especially if you bring Standard Def DVD upconversion into the mix as well. And just because a source is 1080p doesn't mean it will look good!

I'm sure the PS3 will be an average BluRay player - but, assuming the format catches on, then there will be significantly better performance available via high end CE standalones. I have no doubt some people on this thread/board don't want to believe that though :(

12. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The PS2 as a DVD player was a nice idea - but the noise totally ruined it and that is without commenting on the quality. I don't even use mine as a backup player. It doesn't matter whether the PS3 plays HD discs or not, unless it is totally quiet and has a quality equivalent to a dedicated HD STB, its blu-ray capabilities will not be used in this household. Just because it is HD, it doesn't mean that the picture will be any good.