PlayStation 2 performance of some plazma TVs..

terapati

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi there..

I wonder if owners of plazma TVs below (also PS2), could tell me the gaming performance of their TVs?

SAMSUNG PS-42Q7H
LG 42PC1R
PANASONIC VIERA TH-42PV70E
PIONEER PDP-427XA

thnx by now..

hi there..

I wonder if owners of plazma TVs below (also PS2), could tell me the gaming performance of their TVs?

SAMSUNG PS-42Q7H
LG 42PC1R
PANASONIC VIERA TH-42PV70E
PIONEER PDP-427XA

thnx by now..

Depends on what type of connection you want to use...

The Panasonics are great with it, can't comment on the others.

Component (I think this is the best way connecting PS2 to a TV) input of panels..

Yeah component is the best way to connect your game console, although s-video comes pretty close. I can only comment on a xbox 1 connected to a 42" Panasonic plasma (42PV60) via component. And I think it looks pretty good. I guess the PS2 will show a similar picture quality.

That's may opinion ;-)

I've got a PS2 and will be getting my 42" Panasonic screen soon, so hopefully will be able to comment then.

I've been trying to get hold of the US version of Gran Turismo 4 so I can run it in 1080i (edited from 1080p :) ) as I've heard the UK version in 576i looks pretty poor on the larger screens, so I'm guessing as most other PS2 games are also in a similar resolution will also look a bit dated.

I guess it all depends on what you're comparing it to :) compared to an Xbox 360 or PS3 in HD, it will look pretty bad. Compared to my old 32" CRT I'm guessing it will look a bit nicer just being the fact it will be a component output on a generally nicer clearer screen, but I'm wondering if the size of the screen will show up any extra defects as such.

I've been trying to get hold of the US version of Gran Turismo 4 so I can run it in 1080p as I've heard the UK version in 576i looks pretty poor on the larger screens, so I'm guessing as most other PS2 games are also in a similar resolution will also look a bit dated.
thnx pedwar, I'll be waitin' your comment ;) but I thought there's no 1080p game in PS2.. the most resolution that you can take with PS2, is 1080i I think and that is gran turismo 4.. so as I know, you can't run any PS2 game in 1080p..
which model of panasonic you are going to buy anyway?

thnx pedwar, I'll be waitin' your comment ;) but I thought there's no 1080p game in PS2.. the most resolution that you can take with PS2, is 1080i I think and that is gran turismo 4.. so as I know, you can't run any PS2 game in 1080p..
which model of panasonic you are going to buy anyway?

Oops sorry, you're right there. 1080i is what it should have been, got carried away with typing, hehe. Although you could argue that its final display result will be 1080p as Plasma screens are a progressive technology ;)

As far as I know it's only Gran Turismo 4, NHL 2004, Spongebob Square Pants :confused: , Tokyo Bus Driver :rolleyes: & Tourist Trophy :rolleyes: Some great looking titles there :rotfl:

(Info taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Progressive_Scan_PS2_Games )

FYI - I'm hoping to get the TH42PX700 when they finally release it, which I'm hoping for later this month. Don't see any point in waiting for the 1080p variant in July (which will also probably retail for £1,900+ (at a guess)

As has been said, with the PS2 the connector of choice is component video (and remember to set the PS2 to YPbPr mode not RGB in the settings). Not only is the colour reproduction more true but also you get to run with progressive scan on certain games. Once you've played a game with progressive scan you'll never go back to interlaced.

You get a component cable with the Explosiv HDTV player which lets you play some games at different resolutions but you need a TV with plenty of image adjustment features or it's pointless. I bought it as I got it half price and needed the cable any way but I've hardly used it.

A good place to get a cheap component cable for PS2 is www.play-asia.com.

As has been said, with the PS2 the connector of choice is component video (and remember to set the PS2 to YPbPr mode not RGB in the settings). Not only is the colour reproduction more true but also you get to run with progressive scan on certain games. Once you've played a game with progressive scan you'll never go back to interlaced.

You get a component cable with the Explosiv HDTV player which lets you play some games at different resolutions but you need a TV with plenty of image adjustment features or it's pointless. I bought it as I got it half price and needed the cable any way but I've hardly used it.

A good place to get a cheap component cable for PS2 is www.play-asia.com.
systems, do you think the cheap component cable which is in play-asia, enough for good quality? or do you think sony's official product will be differ than the cheap one?

finally got the ps2 connected to the TH50PX60 via scart, ok, but text not clear, fuzzy. Purchased a component cable from Game for £4.99 ...superb, a great improvement, clear text, a very playable experience. :thumbsup:

finally got the ps2 connected to the TH50PX60 via scart, ok, but text not clear, fuzzy. Purchased a component cable from Game for £4.99 ...superb, a great improvement, clear text, a very playable experience. :thumbsup:
thnx thompma for your reply.. did you connect PS2 to your plasma with RGB scart or it was regular euro scart (there are some missing pins includes)? If it was RGB, very good to hear improvement of component connection :thumbsup:

thnx thompma for your reply.. did you connect PS2 to your plasma with RGB scart or it was regular euro scart (there are some missing pins includes)? If it was RGB, very good to hear improvement of component connection :thumbsup:

It was an RGB Scart.

It was an RGB Scart.

as I told, very good to hear this improvement then :thumbsup: I'm going to buy a cheap component cable from play-asia.. (in fact, I'm thinking if there will be huge difference between sony's official product and the cheap one :confused: )

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom