Playstation 2 or New dvd player?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Mafiosa, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Mafiosa

Mafiosa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As the title suggests, should i upgrade my dvd viewing from a ps2 to a standalone dvd player?
    reason i ask is i have a 28" crt tv and have been using said ps2 for a few years now on the tv for my dvd needs, and was wondering would it be worth getting a new dvd player like say the pioneer dv 400 or would i not get a better pic quality than i ma getting with my ps2?

thanks for ur time

2. Rubarack

Rubarack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Playstation 2 doesn't send out an RGB Scart signal (some demented reasoning to do with copy protection), and for that reason it's better to upgrade to any DVD player, I got a massively improved picture using a bottom of the barrel noname brand one.

3. PseudoRandom

PseudoRandom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The PS2 can have a simple hardware hack to get RGB out though. Depends on your feelings about taking the lid off and shorting a couple of pins on a chip or making a track cut. (Applies to old PS2 - I am not familiar with slimline PS2 hacks.)

A reasonable dedicated DVD player would be more responsive, quicker load times, and may have better layer transition and things, but OTOH the PS2 isn't too bad if you make the RGB hack. I occasionally see what I believe to be a Chroma Upsampling Error on bright blues when using a PS2, but not all cheap DVD players would fix that.

My main gripe with the PS2 DVD capability is the laser seems to wear after only a few hundred hours of viewing. :(

4. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    I would say get the Standalone too.

From when I tried the PS2 DVD drive the PQ was very poor. It also, from what I have read, is the main cause of the Lazers becoming faulty.

Why not as an alternative to both buy a cheap modded Xbox1, you can then use XBMC and make it a full media center playing also Divx, AVI's and Quicktime movies as well as DVD movies.

You can also (which is what I enjoy most of all) use the many emulators the Xbox1 has to play all the great Genesis, SNES, and NES games on your 28" TV.