Playstation 2 as a dvd player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by huxleyr, Dec 11, 2002.

1. huxleyr

huxleyr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've got the hard choice of either a PS2 or a dedicated dvd (tosh 220E) for christmas. I wondered whether anyone had any experience of using the PS2 as a dvd player and its quality? Does it have component out? You see....its my girlfriend who wants to watch dvds and i want to rip around a race track or shoot random people on the ps2...and watch a few dvds! :rolleyes:

Anyone got the experience to advise?

Cheers and merry christmas!

Richard

2. pob

pob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    When I owned a PS2, I found the DVD Playback quality to be a lot worse than my Sony DVP-S335 Player. There were a lot more visible MPEG artifacts.

Also, the PS2 will not output RGB out of the box - it needs to be hacked slightly. You can purchase a PS2 program called "Region X" - this makes the PS2 Multi-Region and enabled RGB playback of DVD (RGB for games is always available). It is also an idea to buy a DVD Remote control unit for the PS2 too. (The PS2 does not come with a RGB Scart lead in the box, you would need to purchase one seperately - about £5)

Personallly, I would go for a standalone DVD Player, but if you're wanting to play games too, a PS2 makes a fine multi-purpose machine. Just don't count on it being the worlds best DVD Player.

Cheers

Phil

3. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    If you television has s-video capability there is no reason to invest in the Region X dvd as you can use an s-video lead to avoid the PS2 "green screen" problem and allow it to be used as a proper dvd player.

The main problem I find whenever I've used it to play dvd's is that the fan on the PS2 is so noisy that the television has to be played at high volumes to overcome this.

I think you need to make a proper appraisal of your choice here because you are not really comparing like for like. The PS2 is an excellent games player with an very average dvd player as an added extra. Dedicated dvd players especially the Tosh 220e will always outshine it in terms of picture quality, sound, features etc.

If it will be used mostly for dvd's with occasional games playing then go for a dedicated player and a cheaper PS1. If it's the other around go for the PS2.

4. huxleyr

huxleyr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys..

Bogside i think you're right. The problem is it will be used more for games than dvd's so that answers the question. However with prices always coming down it won't be long before i get one or the other :)

Thanks for your help.

Richard