Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Playstation 2.5 ??

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by gizlaroc, May 14, 2003.

1. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    The new PS2 is out in japan in the next couple of days and in the states next month, but does anyone no when the pal version is released ????

For anyone that doesn't know the new model has dropped the firewire and added the following features.

braodband connection built in (us model not sure of jap)
    improved dvd playback, including progressive and the ability to read dvd -/+ r (for home movies put onto blanks, but good for the chippers ;) )
    New cooling system which reduces system noise by 75%

I hope they release some limited edition versions in some nice colours.

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    think its jap only

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    It is getting a release in all territories, but they said that it was being released in the US and Europe next year.

However the US have just dropped the price of the PS2 to $179 to clear stock ready for the new version in June, priced at $199.

it also comes with built in infa-red sensor and a remote.

4. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    ARGH!

I want one, please let it be hackable soon! My mate said it might be able to have a UK power supply put in. So no crappy step down!

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    there is nothing to stop you buying a jap one now and putting a dsm chip in it to make it play everything, but they will not play pal dvds.

you can buy a 110-240v psu for about £30 if you dont want a step down.

or buy the hong kong machine which comes with 220v anyway.

6. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £30 is a bit steep for a stepdown IMO.. A tenner would do. for the XBOX though thats a different matter...

Anyway it isn't a PS2.5 but it grabs attention ^_^ I'll probably end up getting the Network ready version of the new PS2 (BB adapter and 40gig HDD) as my Japanese FFX: International supports the hard drive and I'm sure it could come into use for other things...

Its certainly a worldwide release so no worries there and another feature amongst others is to shut down the PS2 via remote. As for me, I await the arrival of the PSP more...

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    I have a 110volt outlet in my loft because i have so much import crap :D

the psu board is about £30 that replaces the one in the ps2 not a step down.

yeah the psp does look interesting.

and the 40gig drive is being bundled with FFXI in the west, but not till late 2004 !!!! :rolleyes:

how are you Neo not seen you for a while mate ??

8. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you get the PS2 PSU from gizlaroc? I'm interested lol

I've been awfully busy mate. Its god to be back though and amongst fellow gamers and the like. How have you been?

I've just been working 24/7 for ages now, been doing up my flat but its almost done. Just need a fridge that will arrive on the 1st June.. Then I can stock it up with the essentials i.e beer ^_^

Also been working on my site, sisters laptop, dad's PC, sisters PC, mates PC etc etc and my Xbox's (both chipped for networking, tis all ready to intergrate into my flat network). Of which should be ace as almost every room is networked with net support ^_^

Just been very busy recently and thats about it, wake up, check mail, work on something then off to work, come back home, work a bit more, sleep and repeat. Full time work is fun isn't it? lol

Anyway enough ranting for now, E3 is upon is and I'm sure there are plenty of goodies to talk about very soon...

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795

The board I got for somone was from HERE , they charged me $22 shipping from memory so just under £30 delivered, and arrived in 2 days.

Not sure about full time work being fun ;) , and I am sure I always had more cash on me when I used to wheel and deal.

Some of the stuff coming out of E3 this year is is getting me more excited than I have been for years, cant wait for the new stuff.

10. MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's about 30%. Not 75.

PS2 is way too noisy for DVD playback. I never use it for DVD viewing anyway.... (let alone the poor picture quality....)

11. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    does anyone have a link to this? does anyone one if it will pack up after 18 months use like the ps2 seems too?

gary

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    of course it will, how do you expect them to make a profit if not ;)

13. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    gizlaroc, you're almost as cynical as me

:smashin:

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    I have had 4 ps2's now and I thought it was because i used to throw a few silvers at them that they went but my last one is just a plain jap unit with no chip and that is dieing too.

15. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah yes... Got this site somewhere. I was about to buy Sin and Punishment off them ^_^ Cheers for the link gizlaroc. And yes, full time work isn't fun but it puts food on the table and more DVDs/games/consoles to the collection.

One game I am seriously looking forward to is Mario Kart: DD. The N64 version was awful and I've been playing the SNES and GBA version more than ever. If Nintendo can get the balance between action and driving skill better (like the SNES) with tighter control then I can't ever see that game coming out of my GC. Well until Metroid II, Mario 128 and Zelda comes along. ^_^;;

E3 is shaping up to be a cracker and hopefully more PSP news will filter through as its been in development for ages. Other than that, Doom III and Half Life II has my attention the most on the PC. The change of pace Doom III should introduce will be a welcome one as it seems it could be a very pretty System Shock II... Meh, theres me going off topic again ^_^;; Back to my old self...