1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playlists ?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jordan2pip, Aug 17, 2005.

1. jordan2pip

jordan2pip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to create a Playlist '80's Music' but I have some questions. When I import a CD, can I put the songs directly into the playlist or does it store the artist & album information 1st and then I have to copy the song into the playlist? I would like to minimize the # of artists & albums accordingly and am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    What software are you using to import your CDs ?

3. jordan2pip

jordan2pip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using Sonic Stage.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    I which case I will step aside and let the SonicStage experts take over :)

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's rip first, then create playlists (I haven't discovered any other methods, anyhow).

Doesn't SS use M3U playlists? Couldn't these be imported from elsewhere? Never tried ... but still think it would be a case of importing/ripping tracks first.

6. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The best advice I can give would be, import as MP3s in any application you like. Then, in your choice of media player (not iTunes because it doesn't have great support for M3U) organise your music.

If you are doing this in Winamp, drag your music into the playlist window in any order you like (you can always shuffle later, so the order isn't important unless you want a sequence). Then, once all the tracks are in the playlist, just save in winamp as an M3U list. You can put this anywhere.

Then fire up SS, import - m3u playlist.

You are done. I use SS like this all the time, because my music library is too big, and too badly tagged for any software to deal with it. M3U lists are good because they work on pretty much everything.

7. JB5

JB5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Another alternative is to use the Genre entry in SS instead of playlists. Label the individual tracks or albums with genre = 80's. Pull up the genre list from the menu on your player and away you go!

8. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just thinking of suggesting that, but then i thought, doesn't 80s music have more than one genre?

9. JB5

JB5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sure, but you can have as many 80's genres as you want. 80's pop, 80's electronic etc.. Trouble being that you then end up with almost as many genre entries as artists etc..

As a solution it's not without drawbacks and depending on how the original poster wants to use playlists may not even be appropriate, just something else to consider. :)

10. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone using Gracenote (so, Sony and Apple, then) will know that the bewildering number of sub-genres available for selection for various types of music means that, unless you manually alter these, you WILL have as many genres as artists!

11. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stick with 7 genres, and these work well for me: Classical, Dance, Folk, New Age, Pop, Rock, Soundtrack. Everything I own on CD will fit one of these 7 (and handily, there's a 7-line display on my HD5H, so I can see them all at once!).