1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playlists

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by meddyliol, Jul 12, 2005.

1. meddyliol

meddyliol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :clap:

I have an HD3 and am running SS3.1. Could someone please tell me how to correctly produce a playlist so that all of the tracks stay together when transferred to the HD3? My tracks seem to be all over the place and there seems to be no way of seeing 'playlists' as an option, similar to 'group' (what is a group anyway?), artist etc. Playlists seem to be the best way of producing a selection of tracks that can be added to at a later date.

Thanks in anticipation

Brian the :devil:

2. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is the HD3 the same as the HD5, because on the 5, I make playlists to keep my music together with no problems. My issue is that my MP3 collection is one of the worst tagged ever. So when I browse tracks I can never find anything!

I import m3u playlists by the way, which I have found to be much better than using Sonic Stage, which I despise!

3. meddyliol

meddyliol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the answer, what exactly are M3U playlists and how do I produce them? I did have an HD5 until the cracks on the keys appeared on mine and my wife's.

Brian

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    no playlists on HD3.....

signed HD3 owner

5. jimton

jimton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    how do you do that? :confused:

6. meddyliol

meddyliol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    M3U playlists are produced using the Winamp program. Go to http://www.winamp.com for details of the programme. The playlists can then be imported into Sonicstage.

:devil:

7. sxc

sxc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you import a M3U into sonicStage and a song in the playlist is already in the library, the song will be added to the library again :(

8. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not on mine - i make up playlists in musicmatch jukebox (coz it loads easier that SS), export them as .m3u files.

Then i go into sonicstage and import the playlists - takes a few seconds for each playlist and doesnt duplicate the song in the library.

Same for then transferring the playlist to the hd5 - takes a few seconds per playlist and no duplicates (assuming the tracks are already on the hd5)

9. sxc

sxc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Are you sure? Go to the Artist / Album in SS and have a look inside. Whenever I import a M3U that includes a song already in my library, I get a duplicate entry in the library.

I used WMP to create the playlist.

10. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, i am sure - i just checked it now before reposting.

I created a quick .m3u playlist in musicmatch jukebox and imported it into Sonicstage - no dupes

I even created a playlist from within sonicstage - no dupes

11. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An m3u playlist is a playlist file with a .m3u file extension. This is a universal format which is recognised by many music management programs, so an .m3u file created in one program will work in many others.

In case you dont know what playlists are, these are a simple text file which contains a list of tracks which you can save / copy between music programs and players then use to automatically play those same tracks in that same order when you simply click on the playlist file.

12. *baggie*

*baggie*
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You wont get dupes in SonicStage. Its when the playlist is transferred to the nw-hd3 that the dupes appear in the artist/album view. Check it for yourself!

13. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - i saw reference to hd-5, but missed that this thread is predominently hd-3. All my referenced were to SS / hd5 which dont, as said, give any dupe problems.

14. sxc

sxc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I realised why songs were being duplicated when importing a M3U list into SS.

When I saved the playlist using WMP, and I saved the playlist in the default folder of My Music\My Playlists the M3U file reads something like this:

#EXTINF:0,Gloria Estefan - Wrapped.mp3
    ..\Gloria Estefan\Unwrapped\Gloria Estefan - Wrapped.mp3

If I save the playlist somewhere else than the default, then the M3U reads like this:

#EXTINF:0,H And Claire - All out of love (Almighty mix).mp3
    D:\My Documents\My Music\H & Claire\H And Claire - All out of love (Almighty mix).mp3

If it is the latter that is imported, then I don't get duplicate entries in SS 3.1

15. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, because the latter has a full path to where the music is, so SS can quickly check that the files are already there and ready.

The first playlist has a relative path "..\" so SS doesnt know where to look and so, just to make sure, trys to find and then imports a copy of the same named file from your specified music folder into your SS library - so you end up with 2 copies.

"..\" might well be the same folder that SS usually looks in, but it cant figure that out.

"..\" simply says its in a sub-directory off the curret folder.

I havnt used winamp, but with musicmatch, i just export the playlist as an m3u file to a folder of choice and never have any probs.

16. sxc

sxc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    By the way WMP = Windows Media Player, not Winamp