1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing XBOX PES4 with PS2 controller

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by po_man, Dec 29, 2004.

1. po_man

po_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    As, like many of you guys out there would agree, Pro Evo Soccer 4 on the XBOX is by far the best footie game on this console however, i'm just NOT finding the XBOX controller easy to play with compared to that of the PS2 pad.

I have grown up playing the whole ISS and PES series right from Nintendo 64-PS1-PS2 and now the XBOX (the only reason i've just purchased an XBOX was because they've only just realeased the PES series on this format) but the thing that i'm struggling with most is the controller.

After playing with the PS1/2 pad for the best part of 9yrs i now find it a real struggle to adapt to the much larger, less ergonomic and just generally much clumsier feel of the XBOX pad.

I've seen on eBay PS2 to XBOX pad adaptors on eBay and was wondering if anyone else out there has used one of these and could recommend one i.e. brand.
    I've heard of conflicting reports that some have a slight delay when pressing buttons and aren't very responsive.

Am i confined to playing this immense game on a s**te pad for life????

2. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    po_man,

I found myself in exactly the same position having played the ISS/PES series on my PS2 until now.

So... I got one of these:

Dreambox Xbox-PS2 controller converter, from www.darkplanets.com. One reason it's superior to other converters is that you can connect your Xbox Live! headset to it (the one I originally bought in GameStation didn't have that and was the same price).

Can't really argue with £11.99 including delivery, and I've not noticed any significant button-lag (although I only got it last week and haven't tried it online yet). My only slight gripe is that the Xbox trigger buttons map to L2 and R2 rather than L1 and R1 on the PS2 controller, so where you used to hold down L1/R1 for changing man/sprinting, you now have to use L2/R2. Sounds petty, but took some getting used to! :suicide:

http://www.darkplanets.com/product_info.asp?cat=3&type=&prod=96

3. po_man

po_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hey blackmanalishi, I shall certainly give darkplanets.com a look - i'm glad i'm not the only one with this problem!!!

Many thanks

4. rahulkohli

rahulkohli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got myself one of these. should arrive from america soon. it's got extra black and white button on the shoulders. i read somewhere that the converter doesnt work on live or on the game. i can't remember if thats true or not. but definately check.

http://www.the-console-corner.com/xbox_afterglow_controller.htm

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Can't you reconfigure the button configuration ingame so that you use R1/2 for sprinting or whatever?

6. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point - haven't tried that! (my excuse is I've only had it a few days and not had time to play it much!) :blush:

7. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    I think you can remap the buttons, but it will only work for Single Player games (unless things change with the patch). If you do play on live and want to use your PS2 pad, the was a guy on the forum who mentioned undoing his PS2 and swapping round the wires for the L/R 1+2 buttons, not sure if it works though but don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

8. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the link to the dark planets site. Will now play Prince of Persia SoT on PC and Call of Duty - which I got free from my brother who finished with it!!

Ordering the XBox to USB converter. BTW how do I get my wife to approve me getting XBox Live to play on wireless (already have compatible router).

Lovely Jubbly -

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I use the Dreambox converter and it works a treat!! You get button lag though unless you press the Analogue button whilst the X-Box logo is on the screen on boot up.

I was also the guy who mentioned about swapping over the button wires & bought the original PS1 Dual shock pad to try this. Unfortunately the one I bought had a matrix and you couldn't swap the wires over. There are some really old ones which apparantly are individually wired though.

Personally i've just got used to playing with R2 as sprint and L2 and change player. This only took me a day or so to get used to and I have also been playing the ISS/PES games since the days of ISS 64 on the N64 and ISS Pro Evo Soccer 1 on the PS1.

I've actually got a spare dreambox controller (brand new & unopened) which you can have for £10 including postage if you like. I originally bought 2 so that I could play 2 players on the X-Box with PS2 pads - but my mates can't be arsed learning the new buttons so we just play on the PS2 version for 2 player offline.

10. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey Guys:

Got my lead XBox to USB from http://www.whitedog.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=295

It's the type that you pull the XBox connector off and clip on the USB adaptor. :thumbsup:

Downloaded driver and configurator from here: http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html :thumbsup:

Works with windows XP fine but does anyone know how I can get it working with my PC games? :lease:

Call of Duty (tried - other two are not loaded as yet)
    Prince of Persia (Sands of Time)
    XIII

Hope someone can help. Cannot get used to keyboard! Cheers.

11. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    how does the dreambox stand up with ps2 lightguns and steering wheels??

cos i too have the problem of footy games and i would like to use my ps2 lightgun for house of the dead (as its so pointless buying a xbox gun as there are only like 2 games to use it for :confused: )