• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Playing VOB (video_ts)

akhlaq768

Just noticed something really weird on the weekend... i placed a video_ts - vob file (dvd-r movie) onto my external harddrive...

suprisingly the movie can be played on the PS3, i didn't know that it was possible... i only thought xvid (divx) movie could only play on the PS3

ColdKilla

yeah for sure it's possible! I stream vob 1080p movies in vob :)

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Just noticed something really weird on the weekend... i placed a video_ts - vob file (dvd-r movie) onto my external harddrive...

suprisingly the movie can be played on the PS3, i didn't know that it was possible... i only thought xvid (divx) movie could only play on the PS3

PS3 will play most formats. MKV is about the only popular container it still doesn't support.

There is a list of supported codecs on the PS3 website http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/filetypes.html

It's far from being a complete list though and only mentions codecs it supports not containers.

Remember a container (Vob/AVI/MKV etc..) could have any type of encoded video in it (H264/Xvid/DivX) and not all combinations are supported

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom