Playing VOB files on PS3

akhlaq768

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have successfully played (movies) avi files from my PC to the PS3, via WMP

but the quality of the movies are very poor,

i have a number of movies that are dvd-r (vob files) but how do i play them?

thanks in advance

I have successfully played (movies) avi files from my PC to the PS3, via WMP

but the quality of the movies are very poor,

i have a number of movies that are dvd-r (vob files) but how do i play them?

thanks in advance
change .vob . mpeg by renaming file extension

I have no problems playing VOB files on my PS3 either stored on a NAS drive and using Twonky Media, or else on the PS3 itself.

change .vob . mpeg by renaming file extension

I've been working on getting my VOBs to be readable by the PS3.

My setup is Linux and all/most of my VOBs were created using the mythtv transcode daemon (mtd). They are being served up by mediatomb. I have mediatomb set up to map the vob files to the mpeg mimetype.

I was getting the "Corrupted data" message on the PS3 on my test VOB and then I looked a bit further. Out of my library of VOBs just a few did work on the PS3.

I then set up a test. I used ffmpeg to write out a new VOB file just copying the video and audio input streams (-acodec copy -vcodec copy). This produced a file was playable on the PS3.

My remaining problems are that the PS3 is not getting the aspect ratio correct on playback and the ffmpeg process is only copying one audio stream and not necessarily the right one. It appears that my original VOBs must have incorrect header information. I can't think of another reason why a straightforward stream copy would solve the playback issues.

Any hints on the aspect ratio issue would be gratefully received.

I've been working on getting my VOBs to be readable by the PS3.

My setup is Linux and all/most of my VOBs were created using the mythtv transcode daemon (mtd). They are being served up by mediatomb. I have mediatomb set up to map the vob files to the mpeg mimetype.

I was getting the "Corrupted data" message on the PS3 on my test VOB and then I looked a bit further. Out of my library of VOBs just a few did work on the PS3.

I then set up a test. I used ffmpeg to write out a new VOB file just copying the video and audio input streams (-acodec copy -vcodec copy). This produced a file was playable on the PS3.

My remaining problems are that the PS3 is not getting the aspect ratio correct on playback and the ffmpeg process is only copying one audio stream and not necessarily the right one. It appears that my original VOBs must have incorrect header information. I can't think of another reason why a straightforward stream copy would solve the playback issues.

Any hints on the aspect ratio issue would be gratefully received.

The red quoted area, could this process be applying a change in aspect ratio ? Are you transcoding exsisting VOBs in this process or encoding new ones ? If you are transcoding, is there an option to preserve incoming ratio ?

The red quoted area, could this process be applying a change in aspect ratio ? Are you transcoding exsisting VOBs in this process or encoding new ones ? If you are transcoding, is there an option to preserve incoming ratio ?

ffmpeg has an -aspect parameter which accepts only 16:9 4:3 or their decimal equivalents of 1.777 or 1.333. This doesn't appear to make the difference that I need; I've been able to verify the before and after information as read by ffmpeg has kept the aspect ratio in place.

By using the "-vcodec copy" switch, no change is being made to the input stream. It is being re-multiplexed alongside a single channel of (-acodec copy) audio however.

Where I have got to is that the PS3 will natively play VOBs, but is fussy about their header information.

its all gone so complicated, i thought it would be a quick and easy step, change the extension name from .vob to .avi,

is it worth with all the hastle and time to play vob files?

is there a simple set of instructions out there

its all gone so complicated, i thought it would be a quick and easy step, change the extension name from .vob to .avi,

is it worth with all the hastle and time to play vob files?

is there a simple set of instructions out there

Sorry, I've hijacked your thread a little bit. What I've been doing suggests that VOBs work just fine on the PS3 as long as the VOBs are OK. I even uploaded one of my test VOBs and got the "corrupted data" message with it held locally on the PS3's hard disk, but my processed VOB works fine.

Changing the file name is a bit of a bodge but VOB and mpg formats are so similar that it works. AVI is a completely different container format.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom