Playing videos on a projector through a Marantz SR5200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by melvynadam, Jul 28, 2002.

Tags:
  1. melvynadam

melvynadam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a basic Sanyo VCR with a SCART output. I have a Marantz SR5200 amp and a Sanyo PLV30 projector.
    I think I have everything connected properly and yet I can't see any images from my video. The audio is fine but I'd like to see what I'm watching too!
    The video has a SCART cable connected which comes out to six phono plugs. These six are AudioL/AudioR/Video 'out' and 'in'.
    Into the back of the Marantz I have plugged the AudioL and AudioR (OUT) into VCR1 on the audio IN sector.
    Next to this, in line with the audio 'ins' is a VCR1 Video IN. So I've plugged the Video OUT.
    Next, I've taken an SVideo cable from the projector to the "VCR1 OUT" svideo connector on the back of the Marantz. It doesn't matter if I switch this to the "Monitor" output I still see nothing on the projector. I have, of course, selected SVideo on the Projectors input.
    Incidentally, I have a component cable connected to the projector too and a Toshiba 510e at the other end.
    Help! I'd like to be able to watch my videos not just my DVDs!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As it says in the manual, the composite and s-video connections are not on the same bus on the amp and by connecting the composite video in and the s-video out on the amp you are not completing a circuit.

Your basic VCR will not output anything other than composite signals so if you wish to connect via the amp you will have to use the composite video out phono socket on the amp to your projector.

3. melvynadam

melvynadam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a 10m SVideo cable. Anyone know if there's an adaptor to plug the SVideo jack into the phono out?
    The projector doesn't appear to have a composite in. Only component and SVideo.
    Thanks for the help so far Ian - any more ideas?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I've just had a look at their web site and it says that the PLV30 does have a composite input.

I'm not well up on projectors but there may be a better way of connecting up via a PC and if so, no doubt someone will come along and suggest it.

5. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like Ian says, the PLV30 should have a composite input, but you mightn't need it anyway! Companies like keene, maplin, lektropacks e.t.c sell a s-video/composite adaptor, it should be about 5gbp. You could also get an electronic composite -> s-video convertor, which at about 100gbp is probably worth more than the video ;)

With the non PC option, you can

a) take the composite from the VCR, use the wire adapter and connect to the s-video socket on the plv30 via your amp using the s-video lead. (5gbp)

b) take the composite from the VCR, use the electronic box and connect to the s-video socket on the plv30 via your amp using the s-video lead. (100 gbp)

c) connect from the vcr via the amp to the composite input on the plv30. (0 gpb!)

Which one of these is better depends on the quality of the composite/s-video stage and cost!

c) is a good choice, if the composite socket exists.

Another and probably better choice, d) is to get a cheap S-VHS machine. That would allow you to connect s-video natively and make nice hi-q recording for the projector too.