Playing video via NAS

Bramtastic73

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've looked all over, including the Samsung website, and asked in store, but can't find a definitive answer, so I'm hoping a fellow AV forum member has some experience with this.

I am considering buying a Samsung UE32H5500 LED HD 1080p Smart TV. It has on board ethernet port which is ideal as I have a Cat5 home network with a MyBook network server, that also runs as a media server. My question is, can the TV play films from the NAS across the network via ethernet? I know if you plug in a USB drive the TV has a media player that will read the USB, but will the same media player read the NAS?

Hope that makes sense, and someone out there has successfully doing what I'm hoping I can do.

Thanks in advance

If the TV is DNLA compliant, and the NAS has a DNLA server feature, then most likely you can. But be sure to check the formats your TV can support - not just file extension, but also the codecs for audio and video contained within the file. For example, the file extension might be .mkv, but inside that could be AVC, MP4, h264, etc.

If the TV is DNLA compliant, and the NAS has a DNLA server feature, then most likely you can. But be sure to check the formats your TV can support - not just file extension, but also the codecs for audio and video contained within the file. For example, the file extension might be .mkv, but inside that could be AVC, MP4, h264, etc.

Thanks for your reply

The TV spec does state that it is DLNA capable, and the MyBook NAS I have currently runs as a media server, albeit through the PS3, so I assume it is also DLNA. As for formats and codecs, I have no idea, but I'll do some research. There is nothing mention on the Samsung website.

Thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom