Playing SVHS tapes with a dubbed audio track

Griffmaster

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Many moons ago I had a JVC HRS 5000 EK recorder- long since dead.

This was an SVHS all singing / dancing editing deck and had an audio dub facility which I used to add music sound tracks to SVHS video tapes.

These were tapes that I had recorded with my JVC GRS 707E (SVHS-C) and downloaded to the 5000 EK onto full size tapes.

I believe that the track was recorded at the side of the video track as an extra.

I would now like to play these tapes again along with hearing the dubbed music tracks (and if possible transfer them to DVD) and wondered if anyone knows of any specific JVC machines which would do this which I could look out for on eBay or the like.

Any ideas please?

Thanks.

I have an old Ferguson 3V43 (rebadged JVC) which offers the same feature, although its only plain old VHS. The dubbed sound goes onto the 'Linear' sound track, with the original sound on the 'HiFi' tracks. When playing back, these two are mixed back together.

Most modern players either play the HiFi tracks if available or linear tracks if not. I think you need to search for one of the more professional SVHS players that offer an audio mix function like your original did.

Hope this helps,

Ben

This might help, or might be totally misleading ....

My JVC HR-S6600 Audio button cycles through:

HiFi L+R
HiFi L
HiFi R
Norm
HiFi Norm

Now, this *could* imply that the "HiFi Norm" setting would play back both the HiFi track and the linear track.
I, of course, am not sure about this though....

This might help, or might be totally misleading ....

My JVC HR-S6600 Audio button cycles through:

HiFi L+R
HiFi L
HiFi R
Norm
HiFi Norm

Now, this *could* imply that the "HiFi Norm" setting would play back both the HiFi track and the linear track.
I, of course, am not sure about this though....

That is indeed what it does. All JVC VHS Hi-Fi machines had either the switch, which gives a 50/50 mix of Normal and Hi-Fi audio, or a variable control, which allowed a variable fade between the Normal and Hi-Fi Tracks.

That is indeed what it does. All JVC VHS Hi-Fi machines had either the switch, which gives a 50/50 mix of Normal and Hi-Fi audio, or a variable control, which allowed a variable fade between the Normal and Hi-Fi Tracks.

So do I just need to keep my eye open for an SVHS Hi-Fi machine then?

Come to think of it, from memory mine did say Hi-Fi on the front of it and did display the cycle that roswellgrey mentions.

Would be just great if I could sort out a machine which could do it.

I do have a machine which will playback my SVHS tapes but the Normal track has no sound coming from it.

Cheers.

I do have a machine which will playback my SVHS tapes but the Normal track has no sound coming from it.

Cheers.

That is a little worrying ? In so far as the linear track should be picked up I would have thought ....
Out of interest, what make is the deck ?

Regarding specific models that I have experience of, the JVC HR-S6600 and the HR-S8700 both have the
same audio cycling options if that helps in anyway .....
I don't know how hard they are to find thesedays.

Last edited:
Hi,

It is a Panasonic DMR-ES30V (VCR/DVD combi.
Says SQPB / VHS / Hi-Fi on the front.

It is only a VHS recorder but will play back SVHS tapes as I have tried it as it states it will in the handbook.

From memory, I think that the old VHS players would not even play back SVHS as the images were wildly distorted.

Would you think then that it should play the Linear track?

I am getting out of my depth now :eek:
I would of thought that any deck would play the Normal audio track,
a SVHS HiFi deck would play the HiFi audio track,
and a few SVHS HiFi decks would allow the playing of the HiFi and Normal tracks at the same time.

I had better shut up now as this is based on speculation rather than knowledge !
I am sure that someone more knowledgable will chip in :)

I am sure that someone more knowledgable will chip in :)
I will when I check the manuals - currently located at my parents' house.

S-VHS tapes played on a VHS-only recorder, had black dashes and sparkle/grain, and poor colour, all somewhat similar to a slightly off-tuned analogue satellite channel.

From memory, two of the best S-VHS recorders (audio-wise) were the Philips VR969 (one of the latest) and the Grundig VS680 (the most expensive), the latter actually allowed mix-dubbing where both the played HiFi audio and the external source were combined onto the linear track.

However for your purpose I would consider any of the JVC which purport to be an editor's deck, and avoid any which were marketed for TV recording (timeshifting) - so look for jog-shuttle control and LANC connector for instance.

Would you think then that it should play the Linear track?

Yes it should.

The audio button on the ES30 cycles through:

• Hi Fi stereo
  • Hi Fi L
  • Hi Fi R
  • Normal [ The linear soundtrack, denoted by ' - - ' on the display ]
  • back to Hi Fi stereo

So it is a concern that you say you have nothing on the linear track.
Are you sure you were monitoring the linear track?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom