Playing Style

majnu

Distinguished Member
IMO there are 4 styles of players.

1. Camper
2. Run and Gunner
3. Sniper
4. Boosters = Scum

I am, and always will be a run and gunner otherwise I will be bored as hell. But how can I be a better player, do you have any tips for my play style. What are the dos and donts and ideal setups on small and large maps.

I constantly just run and around and am always concious of what is around me and ignore the map (I blame that cold blooded perk and silencers) but I just can't get a descent kill streak without resorting to boring camping and plating C4's :thumbsdow

Thanks.

P.S I tried sniping and I will always be crap at that.

Det

Distinguished Member
When you see a guy running at you, shoot him dead.

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Moderator/Games Reviewer
IMO there are 4 styles of players.

1. Camper
2. Run and Gunner
3. Sniper
[-]4. Boosters = Scum[/-]

I am, and always will be a run and gunner otherwise I will be bored as hell. But how can I be a better player,

Im a run and gunner too but if im playing afgan and im being sniped left right and centre ill switch to sniper and coutersnipe, likewise when im on 10 kills and im looking for number 11 ill camp it up a bit.

Know when mix and match all of these styles depending on the map and your opponents.

A good player doesnt just play one play style well; they adapt to the situation and choose a class and play style to mount the best attack.

When you see a guy running at you, shoot him dead.

This also works.

ODP

Distinguished Member
You can play cautiously and not be a camper, I am a Run and gunner, i do better playing cautiously but find it more entertaining to run into the oppo's faces, same goes sniping, i pretty much run and gun with that too

Neil_H

Try not to get shot.

Seriously though, running and gunning constantly isn't generally a good idea. If you're always moving you're making it more difficult to be aware of what's around you (since it's always changing) and you'll end up running into campers. If you want to get good killstreaks going regularly, you have to keep a low profile and you need to know everything that's going on around you. Camp for a bit, move, camp for a bit, move.

Oh, and sniping and camping are the same thing.:)

Tino04

The absolute number one tip should be

• Get your shot off first

That means shooting from the hip and THEN aiming down sight. I really struggle doing this with AR's (force of habit) so I've been running about only using shotguns for a few nights since they are more effective when shooting from the hip.

It seems to be helping me and I had some good scores last night

RedAl

Distinguished Member
I like to mix it up. Sometimes I like to annoy people by noob-tubing. Other times i`ll brutalise everyone with my LMG class, sometimes I like my Billy Whiz Stabby stab stab class. Only when I`m trying (and failing miserably) for a nuke will I use my camper class and sneak about.

Variety is the spice of life and all that. I get bored just playign one way. Plus I like to do all the challenges and stuff so i`m always changing weapons, equipment and perks to keep getting the maximum XP! :smashin:

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
I'm not all run and gun although that would be the closest to my playing style.

I tend to try and flank the team by going round so most my setup have Silenced weapons, Cold Blooded Pro and Ninja Pro. Sometimes use shotguns (never silenced) to create some panic.

Mostly play Team Deathmatch and tend to take the opposite route of my team, especially if they are busy in a shootout. Sneak round and kapow :devil:

I have recently discovered the joys of Akimbo P90's though which is immense fun for close quarters, especially maps like Vacant. Took out 4 guys in 5 seconds yesterday by spraying them with bullets.

Finally, now and again I use the First Recon class for run and stab.

majnu

Distinguished Member
Yeh I guess I must learn to adapt to the game and the oppositions set-up quickly and mentally embed into my head that charging head on to a sniper hoping that my spraying UMP45 bullets will kill him first will never work :facepalm:

Do you guys go solo or actually stick to a team mate when playing with random players? That way you have each others backs.

I am the former and I always do my own thing and take a unpredictable route in the map that does not involve flying grenades and noobtubes at the start. I find that I run into 3 players and die a miserable death when I do that :thumbsdow If I manage to kill one it brings some satisfaction to my death :devil:

How do I learn about this spawn system too? I find that players know where I will re-spawn when I die only to die again by the same player :nono:

majnu

Distinguished Member

kav

Distinguished Member
Oh, and sniping and camping are the same thing.:)

No they're not. Campers hide and wait for you with assault rifles, SMGs, shotties or whatever so you've got a much lower chance of killing them. Snipers at least require some skill when waiting in one spot.

Guns is spot on. It's natural to play more cautiously if you're on the verge of getting an AC-130 or whatever. It's people who play like that for the entire game that suck the life out of it though.

Stream62

Run'n'gun for me, will sometimes slow down into an area if that is where the action is or if the opposing team keep running at it from one direction like a bunch of lemmings!

I tend to do curcuits of the map in one direction or the other!

kav

Distinguished Member
I tend to start each map in a similar way - take a tried and tested route to where I know the enemy will be running and try to take them out first. Almost every map has a few initial choke-points where it's possible to get a couple of early kills. From there it's vital to pay attention to where the rest of your team are spread across the map, as you can work out with experience where the enemy is based on your team's location, as well as where they're likely to respawn once your team mates pick them off. The games I get my best results in are those where all my guesses in this respect pay off. The more you play, the better you get at guessing where the enemy is likely to come from.

It's a pretty run and gun style of play, so you're prone to killage by "stealth" players but you come to know popular hiding spots and either avoid or flank them. When it works, it works well. Other times it can be a disaster. However I once got 9 kills in a game, and only 15 deaths, so I think that shows I'm fairly handy.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
You missed a few
1. Camper
2. Run and Gunner
3. Sniper
4. Boosters = Scum
5. Drop Shot IDIOTS
6. Halo Jumping IDIOTS
7. Commando Weilding Pricks
8. Toob + OMA + DC ***** :mad:
9. Dual Weilding Rangers/1887 LOSERS
10. Quickscoping 360 Mongs :boring:
11. NOOB To The Game Camper - Points gun at door and hopes for a Kill.
12. Experienced Camper = ****ING **** Who has gun or dual shotties at the door plus claymore and when he gets you he waits for your return but moves to another space or sits behind a barrel/wall.
13. Lone Wolf Players In Objective Games going for Kills, capture the flag you prick !

THOSE ****ERS ARE THE WORST.

Actually I hate everyones play style and you all a bunch of cocks :devil:

Last edited:

Stream62

The knowledge of the choke points and hidey holes can be quite handy for kills with those not quite so random grenades too!

Neil_H

No they're not. Campers hide and wait for you with assault rifles, SMGs, shotties or whatever so you've got a much lower chance of killing them. Snipers at least require some skill when waiting in one spot.

Guns is spot on. It's natural to play more cautiously if you're on the verge of getting an AC-130 or whatever. It's people who play like that for the entire game that suck the life out of it though.

Well it depends on ones own personal definition, but it's the same principle of hide and wait for a target.

I don't hide in bushes, but if I'm playing for nukes I will happily make part of the map my own, depending on the map. On Wasteland I sometimes like to hang around the 2 houses and move between them picking people off, for example. Other times I tend to circle the map and pick people off.

ShadowHawk28

I'd say my style is run and gunner. I use a ak47 without no attachments as it had idle sway when it has an attachment I do pretty good with it to be honest. But i still need practice using the gun tring to control the recoil and I have unlocked blue tiger and nearly got red tiger.

Last edited:

majnu

Distinguished Member
Ok I noticed what was wrong. Even with guns like the SCARH and Intervention which even shows as a high damage weapon I need to still use stopping power. That defeats the purpose of the game to make any weapon effective.

Guns with low damage should be paired with SP. So unbalanced :thumbsdow

Anyway I have been learning what you guys called choke points (which I think is basically a point where you all merge because of the spawn system, known areas of combat etc because of the design of the map)

All I do is throw a smoke grenade and use the rocket launcher and low and behind double kill and sometimes tripple kill.

In Karachi it is quite easy to predict where people merge. Now I know why people sit back with sniper rifles :rolleyes:

majnu

Distinguished Member
Switching up the sensitivity to 8 which I am comfortable with.

Primary - Intervention AG Scope
Secondary - P2000 handgun with silencer
Equipment - Smoke Grenade
Secondary Equipment - Claymore

Scavenger Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Ninja Pro

and I managed to get 12 Kills using this setup :thumbsup:

Okay so my KD was 12/18 but they were 12 satisfying kills :D

From 0 to Hero. I realised from dying many times by snipers that the kill cam showed that the crosshairs do not have to be dead on the target. I was taking ages lining my shots up and also these sniper rifles are not bolt actions like in WAW so I can go crazy on the trigger too.

Hob_Nob_Man

Im a mix of run n gun and cautious moving. I snipe on the maps that are suitable for sniping and i camp when im doing bad, because its something i found i can always rely on to keep my KD positive if im having a crap game.

I generally sit back and pick people off.....Not camping in door ways waiting for somebody.

I stick to using M16 famas etc so stick to places which wont put me in awkward 1v1's

majnu

Distinguished Member
You have smart team players and stupid one man army John Rambo type players. I am the latter. :rotfl:

I'm playing more cautiously now bit gaming for me will always be about having fun and playing fairly.

Once I sort out my terrible lag problems when I am the host I will join the AVF MW2 social group and show you my skillz, or lack of them in my case lol

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom