1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing sound through hifi

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by iZombine, Aug 5, 2005.

1. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi,

I want to play sound from my pc to my hifi. The only way I can see of connecting it is using the Aux in 2 as my hifi only has phono sockets.

I have an Audigy 2 Zs pro and running XP Home.

I have connected the (Aux 2 in) to the aux on my hifi but I don't get any sound out of the hifi speakers.

:confused: I'm sure I have to connect the hifi to an out socket :confused:

2. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    yeah.. it's all backwards as things stand....!

you need to find a cable that lets you connect the line-out on your soundcard to the Aux-In phono's on your amp....

there are plenty out there, but the only one's I've personally tried are the ones Mark Grant sells on here, which are superb.

I think your Soundblaster will be using 3.5mm mini-jacks?

If you ask him to make you a stereo 3.5mm to RCA (phono) cable I'm sure he'll oblige.. :)

3. Ar-Jar

Ar-Jar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure I've understood your question. You obviously need to use the "line out" output on the soundcard. It's usually a 3,5 mm output and you need a 3,5 mm to phono cable that you can get at the nearest home electronics store.

-A

4. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    OK The line out is the same (generally as what you get for your speaker outs. This is normally a 3.5mm mini jack stereo connector either on the soundcard or on the back of the PC. Either but a lead that is 3.5mm jack to 2 phono plugs or buy a 3.5mm jack to 2 phono socket adapter and use regular phono leads. Here are maplin references. I'm not particularly recommending them, just trying to show exactly what you need.

Cable
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=18274&doy=5m8

Or adaptor + regular analog audio cable.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1218&doy=5m8

5. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Right i've connected the lead to the line out of the back of my soundcard and connected the other end to the Aux on my amp.

I'm not getting any sound out of my hifi speakers though. I've checked to see that nothing is muted.

Any ideas?

6. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    odd..have you used the Aux input on the amp before? It's maybe faulty?

you could try temporarily using the CD inputs instead, if you know these work..?

I've gotta say this.....just in case.. you did remember to switch the amp input selector to Aux didn't you?? ;)

7. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    also check that Digital out is NOT selected (unchecked) sometimes this gets checked automatically on soundblasters, check the volume level on the PC and make sure it is not muted. Finally make sure that you have selected 2 speakers in the "sound and audio devices" settings under control panel.

Cheers

Rajiv

8. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ok i've tried the AUX and CD sockets. I've made sure it is not set to digital out. nothing is muted. Set it to 2 speakers.

I can't see what it could be.

9. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I just connected my laptop to my hifi and that worked fine. So it is definitely something with my PC.

Help :lease:

10. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Have you ever got sound out of your pc?
    Are you connecting it to the green socket on the soundcard (or mobo)?

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  11. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Lisa,

I've got sound coming from my creative 7.1 speakers.

I've connected it to the soundcard no the mobo.

12. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    So, if you unplug the creative speakers and then plug a lead into the same socket and run it to the amp does that work? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Do you want to power the 7.1 speakers and the amp at the same time?

13. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I want to run the 7.1 speakers and the two hifi speakers at the same time or just the hifi speakers.

The creative speakers go into the first three plug sockets on the soundcard next to the firewire socket and then i've plugged the 3.5mm jack lead into the line out socket which then going into the AUX on my Technics amp.

I've tried unplugging the Creative speakers just incase they were canceling the amp out but no luck.

Picture of card:

http://images.creative.com/iss/images/corporate/artwork/art_sbAudigy2ZS_Prod.jpg

14. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have a similar card. Which socket are you calling line out? To test your cable plug it in to the bottom socket next to the firewire. which is no doubt where the front speakers of your 7.1 is plugged in.

Cheers Rajiv

15. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Ah, it's a bit more of a hi-end soundcard than I am used to, so probably can't be much help, sorry. I would suggest unplugging the creative speakers and then trying the cable to the hi-fi in all of the empty sockets on the soundcard..... then hope someone else comes along with the answer!

16. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just plugged it into the first socket and I only get sound out of one speaker but that is when the speakers are set to 7.1.

[​IMG]

17. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    OK will have a thinkie. Never tried it like that I had it going in as digital coax and then analog via the bottom socket - which could be wrong as I never use it.

18. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    OK. Well my conclusion is your stuffed. Well not quite. The socket you were using is marked as Line In 1 in the manual (you can download it here)

http://uk.europe.creative.com/suppo...t_ID=4915&regionID=3&Product_Name=Audigy+2+ZS

Creative are basically fixed in and out ie you can't reverse the function like you can on some.

The three line outs are essentially your speaker outs. All is not lost, but it really depends on what you want to do.

You might get away with a socket splitter on the analogue line out 1 That is the top of your three speaker sockets. That is use a headphone doubler - 3.5mm stereo minjack to 2x3.5mm stereo mini jack sockets. One of these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1221&doy=8m8

You get neater ones with no cable, but the trick would making sure it all fitted as you have the other sockets close by.

BUT the problem with this solution is that you will be getting the sound for the Left and Right speakers in a 7.1 set up here as opposed to proper stereo. I can't imagine that's what you want as you potentially lose the centre sound. That's also assuming that there is no electrical problem in driving two outputs, though that is less likely to be a problem.

Your second option might be to use a switch of some kind but I don't think you'll find one. This solves any potential electrical issues, but it still means you really need to switch the speaker settings on the computer from 7.1 to 2/2.1 everytime. Again cumbersome and no real benefit over the solution above.

Finally A better solution might be to try using an inline DAC which will convert the digital out to analog stereo. Such things do exist and I've seen them from time, to time but can't find one at the moment, I'll search later this evening.

A USB stereo out solution is probably not what you want as these are effectively additional soundcards, which means no simultaneous output if thats what you want and again you would need to go into settings to choose the right sound card before playing anything.

Anyone else any better ideas.

We might be able to help more if you could tell us

What kind of things are you playing?

Why you want output from the 7.1 and the Stereo? Do you want it at the same time?

Cheers

Rajiv

19. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    That sounds like what I need.

I want to play my MP3 libary through my hifi speakers as they are very good speakers and it's a great amp.

I also wanted to use them for games with the 7.1 speakes working as well. As my hifi speakers have got 12" Sub's so they would add to the bass as the Creative sub isn't very good.

And you can never have enough speakers. :)

Thanks very much for the help

20. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ah ha, just what I do except digitally. Can I ask some more questions then?

What do you want to spend?

What's your Amp?

How do you store your MP3s, ie what bitrate?

How do you rip your CDs for your MP3s?

What's the distance between your PC and your amp, and are they in the same room?

Are you happy setting up a playlist on the PC and letting it run or would you prefer some kind of control at the Hi Fi End?

Cheers

Rajiv

21. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    What do you want to spend?

nothing if possible.

What's your Amp?

Technics SU-C800U control amplifier and technics Stero control amplifier SE-A900S

How do you store your MP3s, ie what bitrate?

Most at 192 WMA and some 420-970 WMAL

How do you rip your CDs for your MP3s?

As above

What's the distance between your PC and your amp, and are they in the same room?

In the same room, PC under desk, hifi on top

Are you happy setting up a playlist on the PC and letting it run or would you prefer some kind of control at the Hi Fi End?

No control at hifi end, happy setting up playlist.

thanks

22. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Is DAC software or hardware?

23. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    well both, but usually hardware. It converts a digital signal into and analogue audio signal, so its what allows a CD player to function. Its also software because a software driver is what turns an MP3 (digital) into analogue sound from your speakers, although obviously some chippery that does the real legwork in the audio card is also involved.

OK the best I could find is this

http://www.mrusb.co.uk/catalog/prod...d=328&osCsid=09660d8859eea92d0dcac5c8947672aa

which is a cheap as chips USB sound card. I think this still means you have to choose sound card when swapping between music from your hifi and playing surround sound, but I can't find a better answer. Perhaps it would be better just to split the signal for the front 2 and remember to swap the speaker set up each time. The only easy to buy answer seems to be laptop USB soundcards and they range from £10-£100

Otherwise the easiest way to do it would be with a device such as a network MP3 player which does not bring you much benefit now but may be useful in the future. Devices that do this are listed below.

Netgear MP101
    ROKU Soundbridge
    Apple Airport Express (But you'd need to switch your MP3s to AAC and use iTunes - but iTunes is free and you can turn the shop off)
    Slimdevices Squeezebox.

Best I've seen new for any of these is £80 which is not your budget. Sorry I can't be more help.

Cheers

Rajiv

24. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for the help.

I'll just put my mp3 libary on to my laptop and connect that to the hifi.

25. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Its up to you, but you can do this. If the Laptop and PC are both connected via a wireless router then simply install this on the pc. Its free, its lightweight, and under XP it runs as a service, so the machine just needs to be powered on - not even logged in. It has a built in webserver so controlling it is a doddle - you can control the player below from either the laptop or the PC

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html

For the player this tiny java app is the business. Its tiny and is easy to use.

http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/

And its all FREE

Cheers

Rajiv

26. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks great thanks

i'll try it tomorrow.