Playing ripped CDs

ericpode

Standard Member
Reaction score
We are seriously considering moving onto a narrowboat, and the reduced living space means I will have to rip my CDs and have some system for playing them. We will have to get a complete new audio system aswell, so I'll be working pretty much from a blank slate.

I'd like to be able to play any track, or construct a playlist. If the hardware is capable of displaying CD titles and track names that would be great, as would displaying CD artwork though that isn't so important.

I have used EAC several years ago, so I was planning to use that to rip to FLAC, but I don't know if that can identify CDs automatically and store track names and info that could be displayed or used later by whatever hardware I use to play the ripped audio. What is the best ripper that can store all of the necessary info?

Also what sort of hardware would I need for playback?

Would I get a playback device that stores the FLAC files and other info on an internal hard drive, and plug that via audio cables into a standard audio amplifier?

Or could the playback device stream audio wirelessly, which might mean the audio amplifier would have to have a wireless interface?

I'm not really sure what solutions are available these days so any help would be welcome. If there is a FAQ somewhere that explains all of this, that would be great too.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom