Playing recorded DVDs on PC etc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bignairy, Oct 8, 2005.

1. bignairy

bignairy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am completely new to DVD recorders (I have been using Sky+ so I haven't had a lot of use for one). I'd like to get one to record DVDs for playback on my daughters PC (she really can't survive at Uni without Casualty apparently!).
    So the question is this - Can disks recorded on DVD recorders be played back in standard DVD players and on DVD drives in PCs?
    I thought the answer would have been yes until I saw a purcahsers review of a Panasonic machine and he was complaining that he couldn't!
    Thanks for the help experts! :)

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you use reliable media and video mode on -R discs, which have to be finalised, (not RW unless you've checked first) then you should be OK.
    My 5 year old PC with a DVD drive will play finalised Maxell DVD-R which have been recorded on a Pioneer 420.
    It won't play any DVD-RW in any mode, finalised or not, or unfinalised DVD-R. But a modern DVD drive should play a finalised video mode DVD-RW.
    My neighbours' cheap DVD player will play a finalised video mode DVD-RW from my Pioneer 420.

Unfinalised DVDs will play on the machine that recorded them or usually on machines of the same make, but rarely, if at all, on other makes.

If you record widescreen progams you should check settings on the playback PC.
    Widescreen programs recorded in LP mode do not carry the widescreen switching flag and appear as the squeezed anamorphic image which actually records. It may be possible to 'stretch' the 4:3 image manually to 16:9.

But maybe Casualty with very tall and thin people would be OK :)

3. bignairy

bignairy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks for taking the time with this advice.