1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playing pc games on sony 1031qm

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nathsea, May 24, 2003.

1. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi all,
    Having just brought a sony 1031QM CRT, and still in the planning stages for my dedicated room. I was wondering are you able to play normal PC Games on this CRT? Will I do any damage, what if the game changes the resolution to something different will this upset the PJ? And any other things I should take in to consideration?

Many Thanks

Nathan

2. Beefy

Beefy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on the game, but it isn't recommended because of screen burn.

3. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    When you say depends on the game how do you mean? I take it you mean different games run at different resolutions. Is screen burn a major consideration I normally only play for about an hour at a time

Many Thanks for your help

Nathan

4. Beefy

Beefy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on the game, by the score/lifes etc in the corner of the screen.
    I know on some of them you can take this off..

But this is what I was told when I asked this question.
    At the end of the day, its up to you. :)

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Played games on my Barco D600 when I was at home last year.

I could only run upto 800x600, but that was fine and it was great fun playing Medal of Honour: AA! :D

6. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

Given that the Sony 1031 will only scan up to around 36kHz you'll be limited to (about) 800x600 as an absolute maximum. Anything higher may damage the projector, so check out exactly what (resolution) you can display before you try to use it. If you look over on the AVSForums there has been a lot of discussion about using the 1031 as a htpc and for games. Do a search on their computer forum (or archives) and look for posts by Yvonus. There is also a good FAQ/guide to the 1031 over there as well (although I'm not sure where it is offhand)

Your 1031 probably has a scart input. You can run a progressive (line doubled) vga signal into the scart socket but you'll need to have a vga to scart adapter made up. Easiest way is to cut one end off a vga to vga cable and attach a scart plug onto the other. That involves taking the red, green and blue signals (and their grounds) from the vga onto the respective pins on the scart. The H and V sync signals (and grounds) are then combined onto the video pin (and ground).

Brian.