1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing PC games at 1024x576 resolution

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by dancingmatt, May 4, 2005.

1. dancingmatt

dancingmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi PC gamers

Can any of you please share some experiences of playing in 1024x576 resolution? I'm looking at some projectors and widescreen options, my budget limits me quite a bit but I'm put off by being limited to only 576 pixels vertically.

I play Far Cry, UT2004, Call of Duty, ToCA Race Driver 2, PES4, Prince of Persia Sands of Time, mainly FPS but others too and all in 1024x768, but playing in 1024x576 - seems like it might be quite blocky or have lower detail even compared to 800x600 due to decreased vertical resolution :confused:

Obviously I can play at a higher resolution and have whatever kit scale it down but I'm keen to buy something like a projector I can use at a 1:1 pixelmapping resolution...

So 1024x576 - any good? What's it like? Any screen shots or experiences any of you can share?

Please let me know, I'm really stuck on whether to get something in 4:3 or 16:9... and so is my wallet :(

Thanks very much for any opinions, guidance etc you can give
    DM

2. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just wanted to ask if your graphics card supports 1024x576. Mine's a last generation card (probably older now) and with PowerStrip I tried to drop the resolution to 640x512 but it keeps defaulting to a standard resolution. If you can get it to drop to an awkward resolution will those games you've listed support it, too?

1024x576 has more pixels than 800x600, but with either resolution you might notice the blockiness ona projector. I've never seen a projector in action so I'm gonna shrug. Antialiasing might help.

3. dancingmatt

dancingmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Mine's a Ti4200, so a little bit old now but always been very capable with whatever I've thrown at it. It will get updated, but that's even further away now that I'm looking to buy a projector!

I've forced UT2004 into 854x480 onto a monitor, but that just means it can do it. What it doesn't show me is how it would look on a projector 7 feet away...

True, AA would help but basically I'm going to be doing 50% games and 50% PAL DVDs so I still want something I can pixelmap onto.

Does anyone have any photos of projections? I know they don't give a totally flawless impression of how good a projector is, but if it looked very blocky up close then that would at least give me an idea...

DM

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Why don't you go for a higher res projector? 1280x720 or even 1356x768 ( handy for those 1024x768 games that don't support 16x9)

I use a sony HS20 ( 1356x768) and its great for gaming (HL2). I also use a panny plasma (856x480) and you can get away with a lot of games (HL2), Sure its a bit aliasy but its still a good experience. The projector itself is superb though even in 1024x768 for the games that don't support 16x9.

Maybe you should ask this in the entertainment PC forum.

5. dancingmatt

dancingmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Like I said, my budget is limited my options!

Ideally I don't want to spend any more than £600, and I've read of some good models for below this, but I really can't see the point in a resolution of 856x480 or 800x600 for games (or PAL DVDs). So I'm aiming a little higher but can't spend much more.

Hence the post. 1024x576 seems one of the higher resolutions I could stretch to buying, but again x576? Can't imagine it... so any photos gratefully received etc...

Cheers Mr D

DM

6. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that some GC games have options to make full use of widescreen - F-Zero is one I know of. I'd assume many modern PC games would have the same option.

7. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think it's funny how many people are buying 16:9 widescreen screens (including myself) when most DVDs use that bloody daft 2.2:1 ratio. I can't wait until 16:1 panoramic becomes the standard :p

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113

You'll have a long wait. Most films are shot in 1.85:1 which gives minimal black bars on a 16x9 display likewise 4x3 material will look daft on a 2.35:1 (which is what you meant I think) and a 2.35 display (yes they do exist) would cost an arm and a leg to support.

The 856x480 res on most plasmas and other sd panels is the square pixel resolution of 16x9 NTSC. PAL material does not necessarily appear soft at this resolution ( in fact I'd say one of the few benefits plasmas have is their sharpness in relation to CRT)

most dvds are formatted in 16x9 , the film itself may be a wider format ( 2.35 for example ..although its actually 2.40 a lot of the time) hence the black bars.

9. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I knew it was 2.something lol