Playing non-digital camcorder tapes on smart tv

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by claire chapman, Feb 8, 2014.

1. claire chapman

claire chapman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. This is really baffling me. I have a very old sony handycam video 8 camcorder. I used to play back videos on my old tv using a yellow and black input lead to the same on the tv, select av channel and hey presto it worked. I have since bought a LG smart tv and it wont recognise the rca inputs. Is this because its a digital tv and the camcorder isnt. I even tried using the black/yellow inputs with a usb and the tv still wont recognise it. Does anyone know what I can do or what I need to buy to watch these tapes on this tv??? Thanks in advance

2. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +245
    The curse of going digital. There are a number of devices to convert analogue to digital but, as you have found out, there is no guarantee that they would work. Amazon have a range of them and a look at the buyer reviews may find a better one. The ones on Amazon seem to be aimed at transferring to a PC rather than a tv.
    You could record the tapes on to a DVD recorder (borrowed) and play back on a Blu-Ray player with a HDMI output. Is there a DVD player built into the tv? There are a number of companies who will put your tapes on to DVD or other storage devices (USB stick for example)
    I had a look at the specs for the LG Smart TVs and they seem to be very short on the older input sockets. I would guess that your tv does not have a SCART input.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    The latest smart TVs don't have a full sized scart input socket, instead have a compact multi input analogue input socket (combining composite, RGB and component video), Normally the appropriate adaptors are included. You need the adaptor that has the composite video yellow socket (CVBS (Composite Video Blanking and Synch) - Yellow) and the analogue audio stereo inputs (Red and White). If the OP posts the TV make/model it should not be hard to find the appropriate cable.

4. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +245
    GLT is right. You should have a panel on the back labelled "Component In" With sockets R,L (audio) Pr, Pb and Y Video. So from your camera Red, White for audio and Yellow for Video. Switch to AV2.

5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
  6. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +245
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    Because the OP's camcorder doesn't have component output. (YPrPb) Y isn't composite (CVBS) video. Component is capable of Full HD, because it's an analogue connection it's easily copied so you won't find component output on many items these day. Blu-ray players sometimes have component but the disks can enforce the downscaling of component to 576i.

YPbPr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's possible to convert composite to component, but the converters aren't cheap.

Composite/S-Video to Component YCbCr/RGB Converter | LINDY UK

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  8. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +245
    Simply because the Y socket claims in the User Manual to accept composite.

9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    Link to manual ?. Not even sure which TV the OP has.

10. claire chapman

claire chapman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou all for your replys. Graham yes you are right it has a multi input for componant/rg etc. When I read this post out to my husband he conveniently remembered seeing some kind of leads with the instructions when we bought it.!! I have now found these and yes it connects the leads from my camcorder to the tv. Your sentence of "Normally the appropriate adaptors are included" twigged his memory and all is fixed .. Many thanks for all your help.