1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playing music on the dvd player

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by buck32, May 30, 2003.

1. buck32

buck32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys. New member here with a question.
    Just ordered the RX-V440 RDS and canton speakers. I already have a SD-210 dvd player. I know I have to connect the dvd player with a toslink cable to the 440.
    My question is if I want to use the dvd player to play audio CD's, do I have make a separate phono connection between the player and the AV receiver?
    I'm also planning to replace the 210 with the pioneer 656 so I can also play SACD and dvd-A, does that mean I also have to make extra multi-channel connections between the player and the amp aside from the toslink?
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Playing a sterio CD you can use the optical digital cable, but the DACs on the AV amp are often not as good as on the DVD for music, therefore I would recommend a pair of phono leads for music. Try both and see which you prefer.
    When you go to DVD-A/SACD you will need to connect the analogue outputs on the DVD to the receiver. Receivers do not have these decoders built in so it needs to be done on the player and sent to receiver via the 6 phonos. You will be able to use the L/R of the multi channel DVD outpus to receiver instead of the sterio outs so only need 6 phonos, not 8.

Mark.