1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing music from PC hard drive on Home audio amp using Wi-FI

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by maisbrough, Nov 26, 2004.

1. maisbrough

maisbrough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just connected a Linksys wifi box so can use the laptop around the house etc. Wondered if poss to play music from the PC and pick it up on the hi-fi amp in another room?? If not any other way I can play files from th hard drive without having to drill holes through the connecting wall for wires

Very grateful for any help...

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    An Apple Airport Express will do the job very nicely - and it will play nicely with your Windows PC too.

There's lots of others out there too though - Linksys, Netgear etc all do boxes that will do what you want.

3. maisbrough

maisbrough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I have an I-book with airport express and a PC with a Linksys box attached to the broadband modem.

How do I play music from either of these machines through my Hi-Fi amp and speakers? Do I need to get a cable to run from the I-Book to the back of the Amp? If so what sort of cable will do the job?

Cheers.

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    When you say Airport Express, do you mean this ... http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/ ? Or do you mean an iBook with Airport Extreme ?

Anyway, the Airport Express is a WiFi box-o-tricks that has digital and analogue outputs (amongst other things). In my case, it lives behind the HiFi rack, and is plugged into my amp. I can then pipe music from iTunes on my PC or Laptop over the wireless link, through the Airport Express, and into the HiFi. Integration with iTunes is superb - you just select the Airport Express in a little drop-down menu and the music you're playing on the laptop is played through your hifi instead.

HTH.

Cheers, Carl.

5. maisbrough

maisbrough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds perfect, thanks Carl.
    You're right, I have got the Airport wifi but not the box of tricks you mentioned!

My wife has an Ipod and I was going to buy her an 'I-Trip' (Griffin I-Trip) which apparently will enable her to play the I-Pod songs on a radio frequency through the car or home stereo but will probably get the Airport extreme too.

Paul.