Playing multi region dvd's..?

baggiemad

Standard Member
hi

am doing away with my multi region dvd recorder as going to SKY HD, so will be using my ps3 for dvd/blu ray playback, very very impressed with the 1080 upscale of dvd's to my new Samsung HD tv, is the upscale 1080 p?

Also, is there anyway i can play Region 1 dvd's on my ps3?

i have quite a few in my collection!

Thanks for any help guys..:thumbsup:

kdc

Novice Member
nope the PS3 can't be made into a multi-region player...

the way I've got round it is by ripping my region 1 dvds on my mac and then transferring the video file to the PS3..

(I think it upscales DVDs to 720p but I'm sure someone with better knowledge than me will correct me if I'm wrong.)

ianburnip

Standard Member
Rip the dvd's using DVDShrink for the PC then stream/copy across to the PS3 using one of the media servers.
would it work to rip the R1 dvd to a mac/pc using DVDshrink then to burn them onto a dvdr? Does that remove the region protecton?

cas398

Novice Member
Why would you want to rip, then re-burn ? Save on space and money and buy yourself a cheap memory stick or stream wirelessly/wired....
Depends how many multi-region films you want to rip I suppose.

If the OP has enough disc to cover what he needs then I'd do it like that. I'd rather copy the film to a spare disc than compress it or keep at as it's original size and take up a lot of HDD space.

Can't you just download backups from the internet if you own the films?

Axum

Novice Member
No you can't, and i even think ripping itself isn't strictly legal, i've not seen anywhere that actually says it's ok to do it, even if you do own the original.

My point is, in this day and age, why bother with just stacking the DVD's up and up and up, it's something i used to do years ago, you can end up with hundreds of discs floating around, but when the PS3 came along it ended all that as you save in every way by either HDD/USB stick usage or streaming. You don't HAVE to compress at all (even though it would be minimal compression), just split the files up, or stream...

Last edited:

cas398

Novice Member
No you can't, and i even think ripping itself isn't strictly legal, i've not seen anywhere that actually says it's ok to do it, even if you do own the original.

My point is, in this day and age, why bother with just stacking the DVD's up and up and up, it's something i used to do years ago, you can end up with hundreds of discs floating around, but when the PS3 came along it ended all that as you save in every way by either HDD/USB stick usage or streaming. You don't HAVE to compress at all (even though it would be minimal compression), just split the files up, or stream...
I'm pretty sure you're allowed one backup of any media you have. Not sure if that includes downloading for the internet, I think it does, and I can't see why not but I'm not sure.

Erm I get your point but you've completely ignored mine.

Putting a 4Gig file + on a HDD just for one film is quite a bit of space. You would need to compress it to about 700Mb-1Gig imo to even out the quality/space ratio, and that's just single layer.

If you back it up to a spare disc you can keep the files at 4 Gig and store all your discs in a 48 disc holder from the pound shop.

It's up to the individual of course, but like I said I find it stupid ripping 4 and 9Gig files and wasting HDD space.

By the way just so you know I store films on my Ps3 and externals, but if you have discs there to use you might as well use them and preserves the PQ.

Axum

Novice Member
I don't think that's true, but i'll change my mind if you find me a link! The actual act of removing the region protection is most probably, in the strictest sense possible, illegal.

Invest in a 1 or 2TB external drive and that equates to 250/500 full movie rips, how many do you want ?!

Besides, you seem to have missed a key point. He already has the originals. He can rip to a HDD to his hearts content, watch, then delete, ripping doesn't take too long if he really really wants to watch a film again, and I would suggest there aren't 250 - 500 movies that we'd all watch again and again, if there are, I would suggest he needs to get out more.

I find it even more stupid to bother with the hassle of ripping a DVD just to burn back to DVD, having to insert the DVD each time and having to store them in ugly cases. Even if he had a few hundred blank DVD's around, chuck them out and you'd lose what, about £30 ?

To me, it just seems a bit of an "old-fashioned" way to go, doubling up on discs like that, he would be better off, and save so much time, just using his existing DVD player if he's not going down the HDD/streaming route...

Last edited:

cas398

Novice Member
I don't think that's true, but i'll change my mind if you find me a link! The actual act of removing the region protection is most probably, in the strictest sense possible, illegal.

Invest in a 1 or 2TB external drive and that equates to 250/500 full movie rips, how many do you want ?!

Besides, you seem to have missed a key point. He already has the originals. He can rip to a HDD to his hearts content, watch, then delete, ripping doesn't take too long if he really really wants to watch a film again, and I would suggest there aren't 250 - 500 movies that we'd all watch again and again, if there are, I would suggest he needs to get out more.

I find it even more stupid to bother with the hassle of ripping a DVD just to burn back to DVD, having to insert the DVD each time and having to store them in ugly cases. Even if he had a few hundred blank DVD's around, chuck them out and you'd lose what, about £30 ?

To me, it just seems a bit of an "old-fashioned" way to go, doubling up on discs like that, he would be better off, and save so much time, just using his existing DVD player if he's not going down the HDD/streaming route...
You sure like to argue about nothing.

Can you provide a link saying personal backups are not legal? I did say I think you know, so don't ask stupid question when I never actually said anything was for sure.

The OP could spend £70 on a HDD but it's stupid if all they have to do is copy their discs if they have spares. Or is that too hard for you to understand :confused:

You're talking absolute crap now and I'm going to stop listening to you. No one said he needed hundreds of disks, you don't have to store them in ugly cases (which I also mentioned), it's not old fashioned.

I get fed up with people forcing their subjective opinions on others, itr's immature and it bores the hell out of me :boring:

I already explained the advantages and as far as I can see you've given to disadvantages other than crap that's been made up in your own head.

Also telling people how to live their lives leads me to believe you head is so far up your own arse, though I suppose that would explain you attitude problem.

People these days :lesson:

I won't even be reading this thread again or a PM from you so don't bother replying.

ThuGLy

ooh dear what has the op started.

if the op could burn the most treasured ones on to disk to play on the ps3 and whack the other ones for storage sakes on to his computer hard drive then stream or transfer as needed?:smashin:

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
You sure like to argue about nothing.

Can you provide a link saying personal backups are not legal? I did say I think you know, so don't ask stupid question when I never actually said anything was for sure.
removal of any copy protection/reverse engineering is illegal for dvd's, so that blows the legal backups out of the window.
in the uk, you dont have the right to make a backup copy of anything.

as for not replying in this thread any more, thats a good thing, as insulting other members, as you have done, isnt nice.

Axum

Novice Member
Thanks for that jon33c, as I thought, you can't legally circumvent copy protection on DVDs.

Directing this at the "insulting" poster, even though he's said he won't read this post, I'll reply to whatever post I want to thanks, and I'm not going to be told by you "not to bother". Why would I ever PM you ?!, you seem to want to argue against most things I say, which is fine and if I ever actually took any offence to anything posted on any forum, well, I would be a sad sad person. It's amazing to read how people get so worked up over things so easily, when I try and approach these things as a discussion and always steer well clear of personal defamation of character :)

All I tried to do was offer what i'm sure many would think (and even you say it's what you do yourself!) a "better" solution and one that would stand the OP in better stead in the future, as I would assume that if he's approaching doing this now, then streaming etc won't be far off for him and may be a really good fit for what he wants to achieve, but he may not have thought about it before.

People can do what they want, all I was doing was offering advice, something as you can see from my number of "thanks", I've done time and time again with a slightly more positive reaction.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom