Playing movies on a 4:3 projector...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by samc, May 9, 2002.

1. samc

samc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi... Just wondering what its like for people that watch movies on a 4:3 projector and zooming the image to fit the screen whilst having the grey bars at the top and bottom still being projected. How badly is this noticeable???? or isit dark enough to hardly be noticeable???? I dont think I`m gonna be able to get a secondhand 16:9 projector on my budget of 800, so it looks like 4:3 is the only way to go,, and the grey bars are the only thing that concern me.

Any help on this would be great
    Thanks
    SamC

2. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I have the same problem. I would summise that stevenr must have a fixed screen. I on the other hand have at ceiling mouted screen and haven't worked a system out yet. :confused:

3. samc

samc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies, but petrolhead.. how off-puting are the grey bars??? I havent got a projector yet, but its something I am concerned about.

regards
    SamC

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Not too bad. After the first couple of mins you don't notice them as much as your eyes focus on the picture.

If you can only afford a 4:3 projector then you either put up or get a fixed screen. I didn;t because I wanted my home cinema to dissapear.

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,903
    Have you got a screen yet?

If you're going to be using it for mostly widescreen stuff, then get a 16:9 ratio screen. You'll still get black bars for 2,35:1 films, but they'll be minimal by comparison. If you line up the top or bottom edge of the film to the screen, then you'll only have one black bar to mask with velvet/felt.

It also depends on you as an individual. I haven't yet got round to doing any masking, and it doesn't really bother me. You may be different though.

You could always get a pull-down screen which you can stop at any point in its travel - then you can have it at whatever ratio you like without any bars.

HTH

Gary.

6. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    One thing to look out for is you can watch 4:3 and 16:9 images on a 4:3 screen, but try watching a 4:3 image on a 16:9 screen when your LCD is native 4:3!! Your screen won't be big enough, unless you can really zoom in. It's something I realised when I ordered the screen for my 4:3 projector.

The guyes with the AE100 are OK with a 16:9 screen because the 4:3 image they project fits inside their 16:9 screen. The same can't be said for us with 4:3 projectors.

As for the grey bars, just as petrolhead says, your eyes soon adjust and you don't see them as grey, just the natural border to the film. It is not a big deal.

I suggest you go see one in action.

Gavin

7. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Go for the best contrast ratio on the projector you can, mine is 400:1 and the bars are not a problem, also if you use zoom player, you can incrementally increase picture size and go for whatever combination of side cropping . top / bottom bars you like. Zoom player will also make sure that the top and bottom are truly black, even if the movie has them not black.