playing kong on hd dvd

ninjafeel1970

Hi i got my drive yesterday and im very pleased with it but i did notice some slight frame stutter most noticeable at the intro screen but not noticeable that much during the film.
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this :confused:

SParker

Novice Member
I thought the Universal logo was stuttering as it came around, but wasn't sure if it was just my eyes! My housemate said he couldn't see anything too bad, but I'm not convinced. I've not really watched much of the rest of the film as it's too long and boring but did have a flick through and most of it looked ok.

ninjafeel1970

Yea i noticed that on the universal logo and it is noticeable on some big scenes as it pans i think it may be just a software update hopefully microsoft will address the issue but its not too bad.

damo_in_sale

Is it not just the usual 3:2 cadence stutter?

hottstuff

Banned
Noticed this myself , i changed the 360 into SD mode and entered the console settings and changed the rate from 60hz to 50hz , this improved the stutter for me.:thumbsup:

Tony Hoyle

Novice Member
Output 1080i to a device that knows how to reverse the 3:2 to get the 24fps back. PJs can do it generally.. Some TVs can. Best to try it and see.

genoa1893

Novice Member
Noticed this myself , i changed the 360 into SD mode and entered the console settings and changed the rate from 60hz to 50hz , this improved the stutter for me.:thumbsup:

I've done the same thing, but when I return to Hi Def, the rate returns to 60hz.....

ninjafeel1970

its anoying that it does it at all i mean i noticed it an standard dvds the back ground shimmering but the hole picture does it with this hd drive. pop a standard dvd in its fine only on hd dvd it happens. I did notice if i plug it into the projector its not so bad but on my 32" panny more noticeable.
THE LOOK AND SOUND OF PERFECT :eek:

Tony Hoyle

Novice Member
Yeah they broke it in a recent dashboard update. You're stuck at 60hz in HD mode now.

clual

Novice Member
it may just be me, but i got my hd drive last night and there is absolutely no stutter at all - its darn near perfect (slight green tinge to the picture, but that maybe the movie). i ran the disk, followed the instructions, downloaded the update and bingo! :)

robo989

Banned
it may just be me, but i got my hd drive last night and there is absolutely no stutter at all - its darn near perfect (slight green tinge to the picture, but that maybe the movie). i ran the disk, followed the instructions, downloaded the update and bingo! :)
What screen you got mate?

clual

Novice Member
What screen you got mate?
its a sony 40w2000u and connected via component @1080i. i just picked up the mission impossible box set today so will be testing those later tonight once i get home.

ninjafeel1970

its very similar to 3:2 cadence stutter that you get on sd dvd but a lot more noticeable with hd and very annoying. When i got my drive i did the updates and played kong on it when the universal logo spins round on the screen i noticed it straight away its not too noticeable in the film but its still there.
I went round my mates house to try his hd drive and it does it on that too. i just expected better from hd dvd. I forget the chapter in the film but the part where you get a real closeup shot of the ship as it sails past the camera.
I can stream HD clips from my mc pc to 360 and its fine but from the drive its not so good and spoils it for me. :thumbsdow
http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/hardware/2169847/review-xbox-360-hd-dvd-drive

clual

Novice Member
hi guys. not sure if this helps, but i watched mission impossible last night and that is also fine on my player, no stutter at all.

Rob100

Novice Member
Output 1080i to a device that knows how to reverse the 3:2 to get the 24fps back. PJs can do it generally.. Some TVs can. Best to try it and see.
Oh yeah... really!! That's wishful thinking.

Please give us a list of PJ's that can IVTC 1080i60 - I could have saved myself a fortune on buying a Lumagen HDQ.

clual

Novice Member

Please give us a list of PJ's that can IVTC 1080i60 - I could have saved myself a fortune on buying a Lumagen HDQ.
hi, this is an interesting thread, but i am a bit thick so could you put that in laymen's terms? :) also what is the 3:2 that is being refered to here.

many thanks!

robo989

Banned
hi, this is an interesting thread, but i am a bit thick so could you put that in laymen's terms? :) also what is the 3:2 that is being refered to here.

many thanks!
You don't wanna know about 3:2 rubbish mate, its one of those things that if you don't notice it, then just don't try because it brings misery to a lot of AV nuts lifes.

Tony Hoyle

Novice Member

It's a myth that you need expensive scalers to do this.

From a simple search AE900, Sanyo Z3/Z4, Hitachi TX200 & TX300, Sony Pearl&Ruby... At PJ sizes the stutter is *really* noticable (try watching the credits of a film with it switched off) so a PJ that didn't do that would be at a distinct disadvantage.

The search also pulled out a number of HDTVs by Sony, Philips, Pioneer and others that have this built in.

Not my TV unfortunately (which is the first time I've had an issue as otherwise its scaling is excellent).

Tony Hoyle

Novice Member
You don't wanna know about 3:2 rubbish mate, its one of those things that if you don't notice it, then just don't try because it brings misery to a lot of AV nuts lifes.
The fact that people are noticing it and starting threads here proves that that is incorrect - these people have never even heard of it before they see it.

In this country we've been used to 50hz which doesn't stutter, at the cost of playing the movie slightly too fast (which nobody ever notices). This affects peoples perception of HDDVD since they aren't used to it. In the US they've always had it and think it's normal.

Eventually the hardware will catch up and it'll cease to be an issue again. Until then all anyone can do is try 1080i on their display and see if the display processes it properly (causing the problem to go away).. and if not live with it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mola Mola debuts Kula integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett