Playing Hitachi PVR video on a PC

ambeeamp

Novice Member
Reaction score
Guys, I have an "Hitachi 500gb Freeview HD Digital TV Recorder with Smart HDR5T01" which desperately needs an HDD re-format but I have stuff on it that I'd prefer not to lose. I pooped its HDD into my linux pc and copied the relevant files - please see attached image. I don't know how to deal with this, chunk.0 is a blank text file, chunk.1 attempts to open in VLC player, SM player and MPV media player but fails in all three. Has anyone tried to play these chunk files on a PC with success?

Attachments

• chunks.png
    chunks.png
    80 KB · Views: 199
All the chunks can be joined together to make the original transport stream file. However, I'm pretty sure all those files are encrypted and will only play on a Hitachi box.

Why does it need a re-format? The fuller the library is, the slower it gets, so simply deleting old unwanted recordings is enough to speed it up. A first time installation may help to, which will delete all timers, but leave your recordings intact.

Yeah, I was able to concatenate the chunks via "cat" in linux but I was not able to play the resultant file, so I'm with you on the encryption theory. Okay, the reason I believe it needs a re-format is that it will fail to record programs for no apparent reason. Previously, a re-format has cured this problem. Also, I remember reading a comment "most issues will be resolved by a re-format" - hence my belief.
Specifically, when a series recording is complete, once the final episode has been recorded, if the timer for that series does not disappear from the timers list, the bloody thing stops recording anything else! If I micro manage this issue every day it helps, but if it occurs when I'm on a three week holiday I have to revert to iplayer, catch-up or equivalents!

Hmmm... Which software version number is the box running? Sounds like it could be one of the ancient broken ones, which can be cured with an update.

I would have thought a first time installation would be as effective as a re-format with the issue you mention, as it will clear out any stale or indeed invisible corrupt timers. The timers are stored on a separate partition to recordings.

My box is several years old and I've never needed to reformat.

Okay, I tried the first time installation and then connected the unit to the internet. The receiver upgrade took place and I am now on receiver upgrade UK-v1.21.3 - would you happen to know if this version is a good one? Do you have the exact same model as I have?

So I will see if these two adjustments make the desired difference! Thanks.

hmmm seems like I'm incorrect - I'm only getting software upgrades via broadcast channels. I think I need to do a download from your recommended site - I'll let you know how it goes....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom