Playing HD Content in VMC...??

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a few HDTV, Blu Ray & HD-DVD files on my media PC, in the form of images which have been ripped to the hard drive, and MKV

I can't get these to play in Vista Media Centre, only Power DVD (img) and Media Player (MKV).

Is there a way of getting these to play in VMC, or does this not (yet?) support it?

Also, how can i check if standard DVD's are being upscaled to 720p/1080i (if at all)?
Is there other software i need for this?

I cant help with the VMC question as i dont use it but as far as the upscaling DVD's whatever your desktop is set at ie: 720p, 1080i, 1080p is what they will get scaled as, if you want to play around with the upscaling then install FFdshow this will give you loads of choices with edge sharpening and the like.

I cant help with the VMC question as i dont use it but as far as the upscaling DVD's whatever your desktop is set at ie: 720p, 1080i, 1080p is what they will get scaled as, if you want to play around with the upscaling then install FFdshow this will give you loads of choices with edge sharpening and the like.

Does anyone know how to get FFDshow working in media centre?
I can't even get it to work with anything, no OSD, no tray icon when watching a movie :confused:

for mkv playback in vista you will need
FFdshow or coreavc
and Halli media splitter

This will give you mkv playback in VMC. your MKV wont appear in the dvd lib. if you use that but in the video folder

there is a plugin for VMC called media control which will give ffdshow access as the codec for DVD playback

Ok, so i've installed Haali media splitter, ffdshow and media control.
When i play a dvd, a message appears in VMC asking if i want to activate ffdshow - if i select yes, it says 'no graph available or tv/dvd not playing' - what does this mean?

Thanks for the info - tried that and still no joy when playing standard DVDs, although i can now play HD mkv files :thumbsup:.

Does anyone know how i can change an image, stored on my HDD, ripped from Blu ray, to an mkv file?

I should be than able to use VMC for nearly everything...although i've downloaded about 3004 codecs and plugins over the last few days :rotfl:

I'll have to have a clear out once this is sorted :boring:

Uninstall ffdshow/media control & Haali then reboot.

Download and install CCCP from here; Combined Community Codec Pack

Install that and check all options during the install. When it's installed it'll show a set up window, go through that and tick the options you're going to need.

Reboot, then you should be able to play almost anything.

I did a fresh Vista install last week, and added the Fiji TV pack. I installed CCCP as I mentioned above and VMC was able to play all my rips, inc avi,mkv.ts etc....all without the usual reg hacks.

D.

i dont have any issues with ffdshow/media control & Haali and tvpack no issue sat all plays all, its always best to avoid Codec Packs

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom