Playing HD camcorder videos on TV via DVD?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by medicmanonet, May 5, 2007.

1. medicmanonet

medicmanonet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hello All,

bit of a daft question this, but here goes.

If I buy a high definition camcorder (various makes) and then capture and edit on my pc can I write it to a DVD in a HD format file (H.264 AVC???) which can be played by a HD DVD player?

I assume at this point that there are no HD dvd recorders for PC's. I am sure that there are Blu-Ray recordable drives for PC. Can you actually author your own High definition disks (HD-DVD or Blu-Ray)?

Curently I have sony DV camccorder, which I can capture and edit on my pc and create a DVD quite happily. If I was to upgrade to a HD camcorder could I acutally play a edited HD home movie on my TV?

Could I write a HD format file on to a DVD data disk (ISO / UDF), and would it be read by a HD dvd player such a a Toshiba HD-E1?

As you can guess I am very new to this HD lark:suicide:

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Yes you can.

There are 2 main High Def consumer camcorder formats - HDV and AVCHD.

With HDV, you can create High Def DVDs on ordinary DVD discs which will play on a HD-DVD player, with menus and everything. Ulead Movie Factory software can do this.

With AVCHD, these don't play on HD-DVD players, but they do play on the Playstation 3 and Sony Blu-Ray players.

3. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    For now they are called Mini HD DVD,:)

4. medicmanonet

medicmanonet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    hey guys thats awsome.

So as long as I get a High Definition Camcorder with HDV or mini HD DVD and use the right software on my PC I can write the HD film to a normal DVD (single or dual layer) and still play the HD movie on my Tosiba HD DVD player.

Hmm... I can see me sending Santa a new letter..:D

Dear Santa, Please can I have a nice new HD Sony camcorder. I've been a good boy all year honest:devil:

Thanks for the info folks

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Yes, but to be clear: Mini HD DVD is referring to the resulting DVD you have made. To do this workflow using a HD-DVD player you need a HDV camcorder, not a AVCHD camcorder.

Or... the other option is AVCHD files can play on a PS3 or Sony Blu-Ray player.

2 different formats, 2 different options. HDV goes with HD-DVD, AVCHD with Blu-ray/PS3.

Edit: Further clarification - the above refers to putting HD on ordinary DVDs. For creating DVDs on a HD-DVD disc or Blu-ray disc the answers are different. E.g. you can put HDV on a Blu-ray disc and play that in a Blu-Ray player... but you can not put HDV on an ordinary DVD and play it in a Blu-Ray player... though you can play it in a HD-DVD player.

6. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have read this thread with great interest and thanks to Redsox for clarification. My question is what length of HD video can you sensibly put on a standard DVD?

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    With HDV video - 23 mins on a single layer, 46 on a double.

8. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks