Playing HBONOW on Sony Bravia KDL-60R550A

w1ksz

Novice Member
Reaction score
How can I play HBONOW on my Sony Bravia Model KDL-60R550A LCD TV ?

HBO was of no help.

Since HBO (AT&T) and Dish Network are really being childish these days, my only
chance to see GoT is via HBONOW. But watching it on my little monitor and listening
on tinker toy computer speakers is quite a step down from my big Sony and multi-channel
sound system.

Thanks for any assistance.

How can I play HBONOW on my Sony Bravia Model KDL-60R550A LCD TV ?

HBO was of no help.

Since HBO (AT&T) and Dish Network are really being childish these days, my only
chance to see GoT is via HBONOW. But watching it on my little monitor and listening
on tinker toy computer speakers is quite a step down from my big Sony and multi-channel
sound system.

Thanks for any assistance.

yes you can but its not straight forward, you need to get the HBONOW apk from amazon fire tv and side load it onto the sony tv, you need the app downloaded on your amazon accoutn so it regiters you have it, and you also need the amazon app store apk sideloaded & installed on your sony tv, sign into that, then it allows you to use the HBO app on the TV

Let me see if I can understand this ... I need the HBONOW apk (sp ?), do you mean app ??.
I get this from an Amazon Fire TV (stick ??) that I must purchase for $40 from Amazon ?

And I really have no idea what you mean by ..."sideloaded"... ??? That's a new one on me.

Thanks for the reply,

Richard S.

Let me see if I can understand this ... I need the HBONOW apk (sp ?), do you mean app ??.
I get this from an Amazon Fire TV (stick ??) that I must purchase for $40 from Amazon ?

And I really have no idea what you mean by ..."sideloaded"... ??? That's a new one on me.

Thanks for the reply,

Richard S.
That procedure is for Android TV models which you don't have. Best would be to buy the Amazon Fire Stick yes (or a Roku stick; or Chromecast for which you have to use your/an Android mobile phone to operate it)

That procedure is for Android TV models which you don't have. Best would be to buy the Amazon Fire Stick yes (or a Roku stick; or Chromecast for which you have to use your/an Android mobile phone to operate it)

The procedure works for Sony Android TVs, I have isntalled HBOGO, NBC Sports & Fox Soccer apps that I pulled the apk's for off my Fire TV, works fine as long as you have the apps downloaded on your amazon account, and you have the amazon app store installed and signed into on your sony TV too.

But Yeah you're better off just buying a Fire stick, this method is only good if you have the Firestick on a different TV elsewhere in the house & just want the same apps on your Sony TV too

I ordered a Chromecast thingie today. Guess I can gamble $35 to see if it works.

Thanks for all the replies,

Richard S.

The procedure works for Sony Android TVs, I have isntalled HBOGO, NBC Sports & Fox Soccer apps that I pulled the apk's for off my Fire TV, works fine as long as you have the apps downloaded on your amazon account, and you have the amazon app store installed and signed into on your sony TV too.

But Yeah you're better off just buying a Fire stick, this method is only good if you have the Firestick on a different TV elsewhere in the house & just want the same apps on your Sony TV too
He has an R550A, which is not an Android TV model (there wasn't even any Android TV yet at the time)

Are you telling me that the Chromecast "thingie" will not work ??

Thanks,

rs

Given all the responses, I decided the best approach is just to try it and see
what happens.
I installed the Chromecast and up popped a laundry list with HBONOW on it.
Connected to it, selected a movie, and watched it (well, part of it, it was a
stinker).

So, my ancient Sony will work with Chromecast.

Issue resolved, thanks to all who responded.

rs

Given all the responses, I decided the best approach is just to try it and see
what happens.
I installed the Chromecast and up popped a laundry list with HBONOW on it.
Connected to it, selected a movie, and watched it (well, part of it, it was a
stinker).

So, my ancient Sony will work with Chromecast.

Issue resolved, thanks to all who responded.

rs
Yes for Chromecast you only need an HDMI port and an Android phone or tablet. What Smart software is on your tv doesn't matter anymore when you use a Chromecast (or one of the other external devices) :smashin:.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom