Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Playing Golf & St Andrews Old Course

Discussion in 'Sport' started by scrapbook, Jul 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +550
    Has anyone had the pleasure of playing on the Old course in St Andrews?

What is the best method of improving your chances of playing?...are there any 'societies' to belong to as such that assist in the process?

2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  3. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    As far as im aware they still use the ballot box for tee time selections.I went some years back on a golf tour and had to rely on luck for our tee times.Good fun when we got on.Personally i preferred Carnoustie as a scottish links but its all about the tradition i suppose.

4. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I heard an amusing story yesterday. Apparantly a few members from St Andrews were in NI and headed to Royal Co. Down course in Newcastle for a round. They were denied access to the course, being told it was a members only day. Now the St Andrews course booking information states "Open to non-members excluding Royal Co. Down, Northern Ireland members".

Tiger was at Royal Co. Down last week training for The Open and he finished it in 68. And this course is rated 5th in the world.

5. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Managed to play it twice :thumbsup:

The first time I went along and managed to butter up the starter, and he slotted us in with 2 Japanese businessmen. One of whom had flown in from a meeting in Germany just to play the Old Course before flying back to Japan.

The last time I phoned up the day before and was drawn in the ballot.

It also helps if you are staying in a local hotel I think.

Good luck. It is a great experience, but the "New" course is actually a better game of golf and a third of the price :smashin:

6. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +550
    Any idea what the odds are of getting drawn in the ballot? It is a shame they only carry out the draw a day beforehand....a week or so would make more sense!

If you are in the area and are not drawn in the ballot how easy is it to get on one of the other courses?

I notice that St Andrews makes a play on being a 'public' course yet there seems to be plenty of guaranteed tee off times with some organisations if you are prepared to pay £1000+ :eek: . Someone somewhere is making alot of money!:(

7. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Just turned up early on Sunday at the New course and played it.

We had played the Old the day before and asked then. The starters and marshalls are all very friendly and want to get you playing if possible.

The Old is shut on a Sunday and the locals treat the 1st and 18th "fairway" as their village green and have picnics and throw frisbees on it.

The visiting yanks who have not been able to get a game have a bug-eyed fit over it :rotfl: