1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing Games on Plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by grooveskool, Dec 5, 2004.

1. grooveskool

grooveskool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I'm thinking about buying a 435xde and have downloaded the manual on-line from Pioneers site.

The manual says you can only play games consoles on the plasma for 2 hours then you must watch normal tv for 6 hours before you can have another 2 hour session. Is this right??

I dont play loads of Playstation games but sometimes I would like to play for longer than a couple of hours - is this not possible on a plasma?

Please help as I need to know before I buy.

Thanks

Mike

2. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Very much dependant on the game itself I would suggest, it is the static image effect I would expect, where for example if you play games with stationary HUD's there is a danger of burn in.

I play [inadvertant pun alert!] Burnout3 on my Xbox/XDE435 at 550progressive and tend to play for at least 2 hours at a time, as long as you don't fall asleep with it running you should have no problems.

3. grooveskool

grooveskool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you use the 'Games' mode AND 'powersave' modes together, do you think you'd be OK playing games for longer than two hours.

Do you really need to watch TV for six hours before you can play again!!?

Mike

4. adeyb

adeyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have Panasonic Plasmas and have played Halo for 12 hours solid on my PW5, never seen anything burnt into it. Go down to the airport and see the same plasma with an image thats been there for a couple of years and its abysmal, I think this issue of plasma burn-in is overhyped and rarely happens to a half decent screen.

cheers

Adeyb

5. teoterone

teoterone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh most games have cutscenes and loading screens that take off the HUD for a couple of seconds. Also pioneer and panasonic are known for having a really good resistance to image burn (panasonic especially I've heard) so you're safe to play for as long as you wish.
    The manual has to cater to dumb people out there who probably pause their games for hours and then complain about image burn.

6. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    I have experienced 'image retention' playing games, with Halo 2 and Pro Evo 4 - Damn Xbox Live is addictive. I would guess I hit the 8 hour + mark without any major breaks, so I was probably pushing it a bit!!

I had the HUD display from Halo 2 visible on the screen after I finished playing and the Name, Score and Radar from Pro Evo 4. You could only see these in a dark room and when the plasma was set to an input which wasn't recieving a signal e.g. pure black screen. As soon as the display when showing other stuff the images didn't appear visible.

The Halo 2 stuff took a few days to totally disappear and the Pro Evo stuff has just about gone now after about 5 days.

When this first happened with Halo 2 I was mightly ****** off at the start, but like I said I was playing for a fair duration. I try and remember to switch on the 'Peak Limitier' function if I know I will be playing for a long time, and with Pro Evo I now actually switch off some aspects of the HUD.

You always say to yourself i'll take a break after a couple of hours, but it doesn't always happen and you get sucked in. I don't think what I have experienced is proper screen burn, but it is a warning sign for me to try and be a bit more responsible in the future.

Off to play some Pro Evo now . . . . . . . . . . . . :zonked: