1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing games on a BIG screen! 56K Warning!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by GirlyGamer, Nov 5, 2003.

1. GirlyGamer

GirlyGamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm sure as this is the AV forums someone has done a thread like this before, but I can't find one so here's mine! :D

We've recently had the joy of playing games on a big screen, namely in our very own home cinema and WOW. Prior to this evolution we played on our 32" WS TV and although we had a good sound system in the form of a dts theatre system nothing really comes close to playing in what is essentially a cinema.

[​IMG]

Ghost Recon on a 7' screen! OMG! lol
    Something a little strange though.. has anyone else found that playing on such a big screen can make you a little queasy? Say whilst playing Halo? Just wondering as my partner suffers from this.

[​IMG]

Well that's our efforts... can I see yours? Please? hehe
    I love checking out other peoples setups.. call me a cinema perve ;)

Mind you I still don't think anyone could beat this one:
    http://www.dillonworks.com/portfolio/starwarstheater/index.html
    :eek:

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Just being able to use my TV and home cinema is a bonus, the sharp increase in the amount of East Enders/Ricki Lake/Latest program with that guy Egg from Teachers in, being watched on it has severly impacted my console time :p

Dam the winter weather, need to get Jo back out into the gardening! :p

3. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    When I moved house last year the cellar was already tanked and converted into a usable room. I managed to convince my girl friend that we should turn it into a cinema (even tho my evil plan was always to use it for gaming).

It took some doing, but all the hard work and money was totally worth it. Movies are fantastic with an 8 foot screen, comfy chairs, and a thumping 5.1 sound system. But games are just mind boggling.

I've got some pictures on my PC at home - I'll try and dig them out :)

I found that Halo and Unreal Champ were initially a bit confusing when the action got crazy. I think it's mainly first person shooters that feel a bit weird cos you're constantly looking around, which causes a big shift in a big image. I got used to it pretty quick tho. But when I'm drunk or whatever (;)) I do struggle a bit with the big screen.

Racing games don't bother me like that - they're just amazing on the big screen. I even sit a little closer to get a better sense of speed :). It's weird how games can look so different. Splinter Cell looks great on a TV but a bit pants blown up to 8 feet wide. Where as World Racing looks kinda average on a TV but blown up 8 feet wide it looks bloody real.

My girlfriend often pops down and says "you'll fry your brain playing on that massive screen". She's probably right...

What projector have you got? I got a Sanyo Z1 but I'm already itching to upgrade :|

4. GirlyGamer

GirlyGamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    Sinzer... buy another tv.. a portable for your girl to watch soaps on UGH! lol
    Mr Belowski, 8' wow can't wait to see the pics! I know exactly what you mean about games looking different on a big screen, some of them are amazing aren't they? I was playing SSX3 the other night and could almost feel the snow hehe
    I haven't put Splinter Cell in as yet seeing as how I'm hooked on Top Spin and SSX3 ;)

I also agree about driving games, am looking forward to the next PGR as the graphics looks outstanding, at the moment I really only play MM3 and although the graphics aren't superb it just looks so cool when it's on the big screen.

We were going to get the Sanyo z1 but were swayed into the Panasonic by the store. I think it's the AE100 but could be wrong lol

5. ajbm325ic

ajbm325ic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using a Sony KP44PX2 RPTV for my home cinema and XBOX is superb. I think the loft conversion will be getting one of these setups though......

6. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Cos I'm a cheap git I didn't buy a screen. I plastered a wall and painted it white and spent the saved cash on a big Yamaha amp and Kef speaker system (I believe the technical term for such a system in my part of the world is "phat" or "bangin", whatever they mean).

The image still looks great. While I'm sure it doesn't look as good as a dedicated screen, I love being able to use the projector's zoom lens and blow the image up till it covers the entire wall (about 10 feet end to end) for some seriously hard-core brain-damaging game-a-thons. It tends to look a bit washed out and pixelated when that big, but when the virtual scenery is screaming by at 200mph and the rear end of the virtual car in front is ACTUAL size I can live with it ;)

One small piece of advice... Never, ever, ever attempt home plastering. While the end result in my cellar is very good (as good as some professional plastering), it took me 2 days solid to do one wall and was the most unpleasant and exhausting DIY I've ever done. It would have taken a plasterer a couple of hours...

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    This thread is making me even more impatient than i currently am in waiting for my pj to arrive. I was looking forward to watching movies on it but i am also looking forward to playing my xbox, it should be superb. Especially when my mates come round and we have a four manothon on Halo. Also looking forward to Soul Caliber 2 and Motogp on the big screen.

8. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    MotoGP is just so cool from the cockpit camera :D

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Played Crimson Skies night before last on the pj setup (Sharp Z10k with 8ft screen). Big improvment over playing on the plasma (though that is 50" of serious cool as well :) ). Will try and get some screenies tonight and post up. Not taken any of gaming before but you'll find plenty of film ones in another thread in the pj forum.

I'll try and get them posted this evening.

10. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    The Wipeout series seemed able to induce motion sickness even on little screens. I know that some experiments at a Marantz party with a PS2 and a VP12 resulted in some lost lunches but as no subject was sober, it cannot be solely attributed to big screen motion sickeness.
    Ed

11. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I bet the cockpit cam on a big screen on motogp is excellent, seriously cannot wait just a few more weeks now, also have a hidef pack as well so will be able to hook it straight up to my av amp.

Messiah, look forward to seeing the gaming pictures if the screen shots of your movies are anything to go by they should look superb.

12. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Usually its the spectator's that feel queasy, but some games do induce it. I found Medal of Honour after a while made me feel sh**

But your right, nothing like it. I've been playing the R Six 3 demo,
    AWSOME, cannot wait till the release.:clap:
    Online is gonna LIGHT UP..:D

Matt..........

13. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi,

I have a Cube connected to a Sony HS10 on a 6' screen, currently playing....

Rouge Leader
    F1 2002
    Rally Championship
    Burnout
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Simpsons Road Rage

Star Wars is like playing the film and the racing games are amazing. I could not go back to my 32" TV now.

Projector gaming is definitely the way to go.

Klippie.

14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Took a few shots tonight but they came out rather 'out of focus' and no sense of size due to almost black conditions :( I also found a few minutes ago that for some reason my box was set to 720p not 480p so of course was not getting the benefit of PS out. Have now fixed that but battery died in camera so will have to be tomorrow evening.

Attached screenies below but just don't do it justice and again no sense of proportion. Will get better ones tomorrow.

8ft wide (110" diagonal) screen. Will take some tomorrow with low ambient lighting and more of the room to give sense of proportion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can also see the bowing vertical edges of my owl screen :( which should be fixed tomorrow when the new one arrives...at long last (all thanks to AV-Sales' persistence :) - great people to do business with :smashin: )

15. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi Guys,

I have been playing games on a big screen for quite a while now, but to be honest, I don't think that all game types are suited to it. I mostly enjoy playing Pro Evo (1,2,3), any first person shooter and driving games. Some games though, such as 2d shooters and 2d beat 'em ups, are not suited to the large screen IMO. I think it is because these games were designed for an arcade machine with an average screen size of 29"? and don't play well at 6'+.

Also, not wanting to go off topic, but I find it better playing games on the projector on my PC because of the higher resolution available. Of course a US or modded Xbox can also get higher res, but i haven't tried that.

I have loads of pictures of my home cinema, but no webspace to load them onto. (And I haven't a clue how to do it.)

Cheers

Rob

16. GirlyGamer

GirlyGamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    wow thanks for the feedback, those screenshots are superb! I've still only tried a few games out on the big screen but those I have tried have been brilliant. Doubles on Top Spin is superb as you can see what's going on.
    Crimson Skies looks cool also, I'll have to load that up and check it out.
    Man there are SO MANY games out lately though that it's just too many to know what to play, I must have bought like 6 titles in the last two weeks and there's even more choice coming out tomorrow! Not that I'm complaining mind you!

Ok so I think you guys have spurred me onto wanting to update my photo album, I'll take some new pics of the room and maybe put up a stitched pano too.

Almost the weekend!! Time to play!

Hi Rob,
    I have a sneaky way you can upload a few pics, though it does involve joining another forum, but as it is the best gaming forum on the net I have found that shouldn't be a problem ;)
    If you go to www.gamedays.com and join it has photo album facilities there, you just upload directly off your HD and it thumnails them and shows them full size when they're clicked on :) You can then post the link directly to your album and we can all take a peek! Also as Gamedays is a mature gamers site you don't get the deluge of kids posts (since it only has 3 kid members) and it's actually fun to participate as it's not as cliquey as some... actually similar to this one... friendly.
    :smashin:

17. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Here is my large screen. Plasma. Want a projector but don't really have a great place to project onto:

[​IMG]

Neil.

18. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    fair to say you like video games ??

nice choice of beer

19. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yeah :D :D

Although I can't stand Cobra! [long story]

Neil.

20. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Cobra is lovely, well with a curry it is. Great Screen shots of the plasma Soul Caliber looks fab, such a great fighting game.
    Messiah Motogp looks excellent from those shots i just cannot wait to get my pj, 7ft of pure motorbike racing.

21. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hope to do some more pics tonight. Just played 2 mins of Top Spin on the plasma. Wow. I see why everyone is raving about it. Never been a tennis fan myself but it is stunning. Graphics, movement, ease of play (though not winning :) ) is just awesome.

Pics later :D

22. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    woah, cool gaming setup Neil :D

23. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    so only done pics of the plasma so far. Still not bad on a 50" screen :)

Anyone deliberating about getting a plasma for gaming....Do it :D

Modded XBox set to NTSC 480p output via Component Hi-Def kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8ft screen images to follow....soon.

24. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The picture above is SC1 and SC2 on the same screen Panny PW6 has PIP and PBP :D

here are a couple more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Neil

25. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    and finally SC on the living room plasma

[​IMG]

Agree with messaih on plasma for gaming it really is the only big screen choice.

Neil.

26. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Messiah / Neil
    Your screen shots look outstanding:smashin: :smashin:
    Can't wait to get my box modded, the quality of image output in HD & prog scan is breathtaking.

27. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Just set up Live and had first dog fight with Crimson Skies. Oh my gawd........amazing :D

If you don't have Live you just gotta get it. Woo hoo!!

[exit kid mode]

28. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Out of interest Messiah
    What cable/s have you got to link up Plasma - X-Box.?
    Where's best to locate 'Live' link up kit, or are they all the same?
    Is your 'Crimson Sky's' an American version? Just with you saying setting to NTSC.

Regards

Chris

29. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,791
    You cruel, insensitive, so and so's.

Do you realise how much looking at your pics is going to cost me? I have to have a Plasma now. The missus is going to kill me!

:rolleyes:

30. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Mr THX

I use the MS Hi-Def kit to link my XBox to one of the component inputs on the Denon 3803 amp. This is in turn connected via component to the tuner box.

Bought my Live kit from Amazon for £34.99. Ordered Wednesday evening at midnight and turned up this morning :) Crimson Skies is PAL version bt works fine with XBox set to NTSC 480p output. Thought Live would not like it but all works fine and looks stunning :D