Playing flac sounds bad.

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by gsxr1, Jan 3, 2012.

1. gsxr1

gsxr1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi.
    I have a Denon D-M38DAB . I have been looking into cheap ways to play flac files through it.

I usually play my music with an I pod via the on-board dac on the hifi. Great results, the mp3 file sound great. But I have noticed some small shortcomings and want to experiment with flac.

I bought a SANDISK CLIP with the intention of pluging it in the the same USB slot the ipod fits into. The sandisk plays flac files and was 30 euro new on ebay. :thumbsup:

This worked , but will only play the mp3 files on the little player. The flac file will not play as the denon is reading them and cant convert them. It must not use the sandisk hardware to play via usb.

So I went to option 2. Play the Sandisk player through the AUX input. (no interanal dac:( ) :(
    It worked put just does not sound good. The volume is halved. And the lack of internal dac is apparent. Also I lose the ability to use the hifi remote to skip and choose files .

So I am asking for cheap options. I dont like the idea of streaming from computers as it all seem like a lot of work to set up each time you want to listen to a tune.

It there a way to boost the signal from my little player for flac? What is a dac? Can a cheap dac be fitted? Loads of questions ..

KP

2. djnickm

djnickm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    This thread here may help

http://www.avforums.com/forums/hi-fi-systems-separates/1278872-denon-dm38dab-any-questions.html

But from that thread I can see that the denon does not accept flac. So the only way to run a flac thru it would be in the manor your already doing, via the aux input.

You are still using the denon dacs but not processing. What you are hearing is the limitations of the device that plays flacs.

Now you can only run it thru another dac if the player has a digital spdif / coax out.

A dac is simply a device that takes a digital signal and converts it to an analogue signal ready for amplification.

3. gsxr1

gsxr1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    [​IMG]

Im afraid I dont.:(

Im wondering could somthing like this be used to boost the volume and clean up the signal a bit.

Hifiman Express HM-101 USB Sound Card DAC with Headphone Amplifier Mini DAC

Hifiman Express HM-101 USB Sound Card DAC with Headphone Amplifier Mini DAC | eBay

it only 30 quid.

( was going to use that thread, but I thought you guys would be more knowledgeable on this particular subject.)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  4. djnickm

djnickm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    Just typed a massive reply on my iPad for it to crash when posting. Argh.

Right, those USB dacs are for pc. They will not be able to connect to your sandisk clip.

If you want to use your sandisk and the denon then I suggest you convert all your flacs to mp3 but keep your original flacs incase you upgrade your media player at some point.

Alternatively you could try a headphone amp, like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-E5-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B0026RJQJ6

Just take the headphone out from the sandisk and plug into input on the headphone amp, then take your jack to phono cable and attach the jack end to the headphone amp and the phonos into your denon aux in.

5. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,417
    Using another amp isn't really going to help with the sound quality and could actually reduce it as you will them be amplifying it twice (player and FiiO-E5).

You don't say in the first post if you are using full bitrate MP3's at 320kbps if not then try that as the difference in quality between 320kbps and Flac is quite subtle ?

6. gsxr1

gsxr1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah. I have just learned how to use the flac converter in foobar. Changing everything to 320. I can tell the difference with some albums. Brothers in arms by dire straits sounds a little better on CD than MP3 for instance.

No problem. I will make do. thanks for you reply s:smashin:

7. djnickm

djnickm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    Yes, I should ad that adding another amp will not improve quality just, potentially, raise volume levels.

I would stick with the foobar conversion. Least that's free and works.

8. gsxr1

gsxr1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  9. djnickm

djnickm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    That will still nt fix your problem as that lies within the denon.

It seams that if you connect the denon via USB to the player it will not recognise flac. Understanderble really as its probably really meant for iPod that do nt support flac.

It may have better sound quality than your clip however, but this still is mainly determined by the denon.

I would just stick with mp3 for until you can afford to upgrade the denon system.