Playing files on a streamer without using a TV

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Dave02, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Dave02

Dave02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Please can someone tell me if it's possible to use the display on a streamer to select music from a NAS drive without having to turn on the TV to navigate.

I want a high end player for movies, plus for music. Am considering the Tvix HD M-6500a, or is this already out of date?

I already have a Popcorn Hour A100, but have been tempted by the Tvix with its wireless abilities and display. I haven't looked into all the models for a few months now, but when previously looking for advice there didn't seem to be a clear best player.

2. Downinja

Downinja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I don't think any current video extenders have the sort of functionality of something like the squeezebox.

You can already select music tracks (and play them stop them etc.) on your Popcorn using an application on your PC, but no way to do it via any other method, there is some work going into a user application to drive an LCD screen but it's in it's early stages.

(Am I on the right track?)

3. Dave02

Dave02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    So I could do it from a Squeezebox? Perhaps I will consider separate boxes for my CD backups and my DVD backups.