1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing DVD-A discs on a 5.1 system

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tracey, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have been investigating DVD-A and I may consider upgrading my DV27 in the future, but I just wanted to know if anyone has any experience of playing a DVD-A disc on a normal 5.1 system. From what I have read so far it appears that I will get DD 5.1 surround sound and I can also play the discs back in stereo using just the front two channels, but would this sound worse in stereo than buying the normal CD version? Also can you record from DVD-A discs? I don't copy discs for anyone else but myself I just like to do compilations rather than having to listen to an entire album.

Tracey

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you want to know all about DVD-A , look on this DVD Demystified link, it's a little out of date but will give you an idea.

The stereo on the DVD-A will not sound worse than your normal CD , it will be better.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Only if you're playing the 24/96 or in some cases 24/192 stereo track if this is available,and your DAC is up to the task....also depends on the quality of the analogue stages in your player.
    As yet,only Pioneer,Denon and Meridian produce systems which will allow transfer of encrypted digital data direct from the player to processor at full resolution...otherwise you rely on decryption/decoding within your DVD-A player and analogue output from there.

The DD track can sound very good,but may suffer from the usual DD bass problems......discs with DTS tracks available can sound excellent.

As for recording,if you look at the HiFi Press recently,you'll find alot being said about copy protection on DVD-A,and the various watermarking techniques....basically it's stored as encrypted digital audio on the disc,and if you get any output via the digital out on your player,it will be at 16bit resolution.

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Didn't make myself clear , but what I was talking about.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    :) Just a shame that the format war continues,and all this encryption goes with it...also the problems getting some DVD-As to play on certain players in the first place,due to the somewhat messy protocols(or lack of) for audio replay from DVD.

6. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info everyone, very helpful. :smashin: