playing DTS-HD blu-ray with an older av receiver with no HDMI

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by zicolofoo, Jan 28, 2014.

1. zicolofoo

zicolofoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pls excuse me if this subject has been discussed. Not able to find the right thread.

To play Blu-ray movies with True HD audio, such as "DTS-HD" with an older receiver without HDMI connection, i can only use its optical or coaxial. Any advice how am I going to get surround if the Blu-ray has only "DTS-HD", and no other usual 5.1 options?

The rear speakers were not activated when i played a disc with only DTS-HD, seems like I am getting stereo instead of surround.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,573
    Optical/coaxial Digital Audio doesn't have the bandwidth to support Dolby/DTS HD audio - you need HDMI or multiple RCA for HD to your AVR.

Your player will access the 'core' DTS info and play that out over Optical/coaxial (at a higher bitrate then DVD).

Unless you know a movie soundtrack well enough to select passages which give your surrounds a workout you may want to find a test disc.

If your BD Player has settings for Speaker size/distance/sub crossover and you have multichannel audio in on the AVR you can output the HD audio using a suitable converter - Media Factory - Octava HDMX71-UK, 4x2 HDMI Switch with 7.1 analogue audio.

Joe